• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mask Comics actual pricing
10 10

812 posts in this topic

On 8/30/2023 at 7:56 PM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

IMG_4332.png

Not sure about other boardies' opinions here, but what say you as to which is the stronger auction result here......................this CL 6.0 copy of Mask 1 that sold for $27,761 or the CC 7.5 copy of Mask 1 that sold for $54,625 only last Thursday:  hm  (shrug)

https://www.comicconnect.com/item/1006346

mas2.53.jpg

Edited by lou_fine

On 8/31/2023 at 2:25 AM, lou_fine said:

Not sure about other boardies' opinions here, but what say you as to which is the stronger auction result here......................this CL 6.0 copy of Mask 1 that sold for $27,761 or the CC 7.5 copy of Mask 1 that sold for $54,625 only last Thursday:  hm  (shrug)

https://www.comicconnect.com/item/1006346

mas2.53.jpg

They were both good prices, IMO, but especially the 6.0. I thought the 6.0 presented better than Bobby Blue’s 7.5. Considering Heritage sold a 5.5 for $24k in 2019, and then resold the exact same 5.5 in 4/22 for the exact same price of $24k, I’m left to wonder if prices on midgrade 1s have stopped rising on this book, at least for now(in answer to the actual title of this thread). On the other hand, Mask 2 seems to be still on the move

Edited by GreatCaesarsGhost

On 8/31/2023 at 5:37 AM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

They were both good prices, IMO, but especially the 6.0. I thought the 6.0 presented better than Bobby Blue’s 7.5. Considering Heritage sold a 5.5 for $24k in 2019, and then resold the exact same 5.5 in 4/22 for the exact same price of $24k, I’m left to wonder if prices on midgrade 1s have stopped rising on this book, at least for now(in answer to the actual title of this thread). On the other hand, Mask 2 seems to be still on the move

I concur. A 5.0 Mask 2 went for I believe 17k on CC a few months ago. A 5.5 for 23k is a move upwards. Not huge move but still a move. 

Congrats to those MASK winners.  Decent prices.  Here's what the hammers were on those other 2.  I think the Suspense did well (I think it's still undervalued as it's a HTF issue and overshadowed by the #3), but I did think the Power would do a bit better, even though the $4k isn't bad.

image.thumb.png.8d2a9866bfcd9b37a443c7df2e8bd0fd.png

On 9/1/2023 at 10:01 AM, pmpknface said:

Congrats to those MASK winners.  Decent prices.  Here's what the hammers were on those other 2.  I think the Suspense did well (I think it's still undervalued as it's a HTF issue and overshadowed by the #3), but I did think the Power would do a bit better, even though the $4k isn't bad.

image.thumb.png.8d2a9866bfcd9b37a443c7df2e8bd0fd.png

I agree the Suspense 4 has much more room to move up

On 9/1/2023 at 9:22 AM, comicjack said:

I agree the Suspense 4 has much more room to move up

I would tend to agree with you here, but I also believe that the Suspense 8 in grade also has a lot of room to move up, especially since there's only one copy graded above 7.5 (i.e. the Promise copy in CGC 9.2) after two plus long decades of certification.  hm  (thumbsu

On 9/1/2023 at 6:18 PM, comicjack said:

The value of the Suspense 3 brings copies out for grading but the 4 will do that with prices going up

Definitely a very strong price at $21,250 for the 2nd highest graded copy of Suspense 4, especially when you compare it to the $3,100 that it was able to fetch at both HA and CC back in 2006 and 2009 respectively when it still was the single highest graded copy at the time.  (thumbsu

Of course, that was a few lifetimes ago in this fast paced moving comic book marketplace when books were selling at much more reasonable prices back then as compared to the rather crypto-like crazed marketplace tat we find outselves in right now.  :bigsmile:

On 9/1/2023 at 5:23 PM, lou_fine said:

I would tend to agree with you here, but I also believe that the Suspense 8 in grade also has a lot of room to move up, especially since there's only one copy graded above 7.5 (i.e. the Promise copy in CGC 9.2) after two plus long decades of certification.  hm  (thumbsu

I've seen a number of Suspense 8 copies with spine issues.  Perhaps it's the same with other books in the run, but I couldn't say.  But with 8, seems to definitely be the case.

On 9/5/2023 at 9:02 AM, WolverineX said:

Gerber had a SI of 6 for suspense 4. Interesting there aren't more copies out there.

20230905_085657.jpg

Many copies locked raw in old time collectors hoards 

Nice of you to post the GaG 6 since green has always been my favorite color and I just loved this cover when I first saw it a few years ago.  :luhv:

Loved it so much that I came close to winning the Promise copy of it with its stunning colors when it came to auction, but just couldn't rationalize bidding any higher given the horrid eye twisting off-center cover with that big white crooked line down the spine and the misaligned top edge:  :p  

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/guns-against-gangsters-6-the-promise-collection-pedigree-novelty-press-1949-cgc-nm-92-off-white-pages/a/7244-96049.s?ic16=ViewItem-Inventory-BuyNowFromOwner-PreviousPricesHeritage-081514

Golden Age (1938-1955), Guns Against Gangsters #6 The Promise Collection Pedigree (Novelty Press, 1949) CGC NM- 9.2 Off-white pages....

Probably should have gone for it anyways since it looks like one of the few Promise books that didn't go for crazy crazy money at only a mere $6K back in 2021 as compared to the aforementioned equivalent 9.2 graded non-pedigree copy going for a whopping $14,400 in yesterday's auction, albeit for a File Copy.  :(

On 9/15/2023 at 9:31 AM, pmpknface said:

I'm not sure I saw this coming....

image.png.14377f7809acce447fb1257e1521b7df.png

According to HA's site:

GaG #6:  30 total, 1 higher, 3 in 9.2

BBW #115:  69 total, 2 higher, 2 in 9.2

Ok, so fewer have come out of the woodwork...    but outsold by 5K?!?!?!?!  WoW!!!!

I know I didn't. Didn't give much thought to what the GAG 6 would end at but I thought the BB Weird would have went for around 12k at least. Great wrap and the colors look bright as heck. 

Edited by Professor K
spelling correction