• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

MCU's THE ETERNALS (11/6/20)
8 8

3,079 posts in this topic

On 11/14/2021 at 8:23 AM, fantastic_four said:

Saw the film yesterday.  Lots of questions that need to bubble up.

First one that's rather broad and my primary one I'm pondering--how close is this story to the comics?  I don't recall this idea of Celestials gestating in the womb of inhabited planets before this film.

I’m hardly an expert on this and it’s been a long time since I read the series, but I’m pretty sure Earth X covers that point and that the gestating Celestial is what Galacticus is actually consuming. There may be something prior to Earth X but again I’m not that up on the subject. 

On 11/14/2021 at 11:25 AM, Bosco685 said:

The Incredible Hulk was the first flop.

Hulk_BO01.thumb.PNG.9401dbd8f4d36e64d5a9606734d62056.PNG

Captain America: The First Avenger barely broke even.

CPT_America_BO01.thumb.PNG.59e3ef757269d953a08173f8addfd19b.PNG

Just with Marvel Studios it wisely stayed the course instead of panicking.

I still have problems counting Hulk for some reason, and always forget about it.  Made by different people with completely different cast.

More numbers.  Being generous Eternals hits 180 million domestic (based on industry estimates as of today).  The film currently has a 52% domestic to 48% international split. If that ratio holds that means the international take will be $166 million. 166 + 180 = $346 million total box office. 

On 11/14/2021 at 8:25 AM, drotto said:

Shang-chi outperformed Eternals on every metric and made $430 million world wide.  How then does Eternals get to $450? Black Widow has outperformed Etrnals on most metrics and made $380 million.  Based on those numbers around $350 millions seems very realistic. 

$280MM after a $75MM WW weekend; going to blow past S-C internationally. $350MM is ludicrous.

On 11/14/2021 at 11:25 AM, Bosco685 said:

The Incredible Hulk was the first flop.

Hulk_BO01.thumb.PNG.9401dbd8f4d36e64d5a9606734d62056.PNG

Captain America: The First Avenger barely broke even.

CPT_America_BO01.thumb.PNG.59e3ef757269d953a08173f8addfd19b.PNG

Just with Marvel Studios it wisely stayed the course instead of panicking.

Also, the landscape for MCU has change.  With Hulk there was no goodwill or connection.  Ironman was very well received.  Captian America was still only the third film.  It did not have 14 years, 25 movies, and bucketloads of goodwill behind it.  Eternals should have all the advantages of being released in an established universe, a built in fan base, and tons of goodwill. It does not seem like those things mattered much.

On 11/14/2021 at 8:31 AM, drotto said:

I still have problems counting Hulk for some reason, and always forget about it.  Made by different people with completely different cast.

More numbers.  Being generous Eternals hits 180 million domestic (based on industry estimates as of today).  The film currently has a 52% domestic to 48% international split. If that ratio holds that means the international take will be $166 million. 166 + 180 = $346 million total box office. 

lol $163MM Int'l, $118MM US- might want to oil your abacus

On 11/14/2021 at 11:47 AM, drotto said:

Also, the landscape for MCU has change.  With Hulk there was no goodwill or connection.  Ironman was very well received.  Captian America was still only the third film.  It did not have 14 years, 25 movies, and bucketloads of goodwill behind it.  Eternals should have all the advantages of being released in an established universe, a built in fan base, and tons of goodwill. It does not seem like those things mattered much.

4th

MCU04.thumb.PNG.bac9de1e7e5fd93ce8ed05ff08bf07ea.PNG

On 11/14/2021 at 11:48 AM, paperheart said:

lol $163MM Int'l, $118MM US- might want to oil your abacus

Even if you filp domestic to international say 47 to 53 which is a fairly typical split. That would be 202 int to 180 domestic.   Still less then 400 million.

Edited by drotto

On 11/14/2021 at 10:29 AM, Number 6 said:

I’m hardly an expert on this and it’s been a long time since I read the series, but I’m pretty sure Earth X covers that point and that the gestating Celestial is what Galacticus is actually consuming. There may be something prior to Earth X but again I’m not that up on the subject. 

I immediately thought that this would be a great way to introduce Galactus. Even goes as far as maybe making him a rogue Celestial with his own "Eternals" ala heralds. I did read Earth X when it came out but didn't remember that.  

On 11/14/2021 at 11:59 AM, Jemin said:

I immediately thought that this would be a great way to introduce Galactus. Even goes as far as maybe making him a rogue Celestial with his own "Eternals" ala heralds. I did read Earth X when it came out but didn't remember that.  

You're not alone.

galactus.PNG.3bd9d69ee03a91a1bb7562e0a2fc99b0.PNG

On 11/14/2021 at 12:08 PM, HighVoltage said:

I'm surprised to see Black Widow's budget $20M more than the new Spidey...

SMNWH is rumored to be at $180M. It may go up slightly. But won't go down as massive as this film sounds.

On 11/14/2021 at 9:05 AM, paperheart said:

currently 58/42 w/ int'l holding better, but keep dreaming

Shang. Chi had no real competition for WEEKS.

Eternals barely held off Clifford for #1 in week 2.

Plus, if I'm not mistaken, Disney rolled this out in nearly all of its international markets already.

Also, audiences will have even more adult/kid options in the next 2 weeks, then the Oscar-bait movies will start.  

Eternals basically had 2 weeks to make its move, and it did.  

I don't think it hits 400MM either, but even if it does squeak past that, it's still a failure.

-J.