• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

MCU's THE ETERNALS (11/6/20)
8 8

3,079 posts in this topic

On 11/16/2021 at 5:58 PM, Broke as a Joke said:

No Black Widow sequel (obviously), no announced Shang-Chi sequel and I'm thinking Eternals is fighting an uphill battle to get another.  Could be phase bore (I'm going with that) could likely be all one and dones.  Bring on the FF and the X-men please...

Geeks Worldwide, a reliable proven MCU insider source, has reported that a Shang-Chi sequel is in the works. But no official Disney announcement yet means there won't be a Shang-Chi sequel? Obviously Kevin Feige isn't going to go up on stage somewhere in the next week or so and blast the Shang-Chi 2 logo up on a screen and have the cast members old and new come out, only two months after the movie just came out and became the biggest hit of the pandemic era so far. 

Marvel is bringing on X-Men in the form of the X-Men '97 Animated Series on Disney+.

Does Phase "Bore" for you include No Way Home, Multiverse of Madness, Love and Thunder, Quantumania, and Wakanda Forever? Obviously it must include The Marvels...obviously...

On 11/16/2021 at 3:19 PM, @therealsilvermane said:

Geeks Worldwide, a reliable proven MCU insider source, has reported that a Shang-Chi sequel is in the works. But no official Disney announcement yet means there won't be a Shang-Chi sequel? Obviously Kevin Feige isn't going to go up on stage somewhere in the next week or so and blast the Shang-Chi 2 logo up on a screen and have the cast members old and new come out, only two months after the movie just came out and became the biggest hit of the pandemic era so far. 

Marvel is bringing on X-Men in the form of the X-Men '97 Animated Series on Disney+.

Does Phase "Bore" for you include No Way Home, Multiverse of Madness, Love and Thunder, Quantumania, and Wakanda Forever? Obviously it must include The Marvels...obviously...

:roflmao:, myopic worldview much?

image.png.3aa502eabad6b315e16f6db70b1b4ad7.png

On 11/16/2021 at 6:19 PM, @therealsilvermane said:

I have no idea if there will be a Shang-Chi 2, but they announce Duned 2 almost right away. Just saying. Disney seems to be very cautious right now.

I still think X-Men 97 is a relatively inexpressive, safe stop gap because D+ is starved for content. 

I am not sure where phase 4 is going at this point.  I have personally not been impressed with what I have seen thus far.  I think it has been rather boring and safe, and does not have the focus that earlier movies had.  Part of the MCU's success is it always felt like it was connected and going somewhere.  That seems to be a little lost at this point.

Edited by drotto

News report from Sept. 25, 2021:

"Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings is now the highest-grossing movie of the COVID era in North America, surpassing the $183.4 million earned by Black Widow. Shang-Chi took in $3.59 million on Friday for a domestic total of $186.7 million, the best domestic gross for a movie since the pandemic began."

And now its North America take stands at $224 million. The highest in the pandemic era.

I'm just reporting the facts here, man.

giphy.gif

On 11/16/2021 at 8:21 PM, drotto said:

I have no idea if there will be a Shang-Chi 2, but they announce Duned 2 almost right away. Just saying. Disney seems to be very cautious right now.

That's not really the same thing, though, right? Dune 2 is obviously expected as the thing unexpectedly cuts off just as it's getting mildly interesting.

Kevin Feige and Disney don't formally announce Marvel sequels the month after the origin story movie debuts in theaters and they never have. 

On 11/16/2021 at 5:25 PM, @therealsilvermane said:

"Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings is now the highest-grossing movie of the COVID era in North America, surpassing the $183.4 million earned by Black Widow. Shang-Chi took in $3.59 million on Friday for a domestic total of $186.7 million, the best domestic gross for a movie since the pandemic began."

And now its North America take stands at $224 million. The highest in the pandemic era.

giphy.gif

and $290MM behind F9 & $278MM and counting behind Bond worldwide- or do they not count? :insane:

On 11/16/2021 at 8:42 PM, paperheart said:

and $290MM behind F9 & $278MM and counting behind Bond worldwide- or do they not count? :insane:

I say in a head to head to matchup, it shouldn't count because those films were allowed to play in China and Shang-Chi was not.

On 11/16/2021 at 6:11 PM, @therealsilvermane said:

I say in a head to head to matchup, it shouldn't count because those films were allowed to play in China and Shang-Chi was not.

:roflmao: Bond is going to finish w/ $60MM in China, so it'll beat S-C by $250MM+ elsewhere; that's a quarter of a billion in case you're having trouble with the math

On 11/17/2021 at 4:25 AM, @therealsilvermane said:

giphy.gif

Once again, selective narrative. No surprise. The world is bigger than North America. Worldwide box office take is the only figure that counts in the business.

On 11/16/2021 at 8:25 PM, @therealsilvermane said:

Whatever Disney idol it is you pray to each night, for the love of that false god don't damn your soul like that. There is no way you are this crazy-blind to reality.

Did the girls in the bright white dresses snatch you from your parents?

giphy.gif.e8bce4dfc3c03e8d14ded72f322996b7.gif

On 11/17/2021 at 4:09 AM, Bosco685 said:

Whatever Disney idol it is you pray to each night, for the love of that false god don't damn your soul like that. There is no way you are this crazy-blind to reality.

Did the girls in the bright white dresses snatch you from your parents?

giphy.gif.e8bce4dfc3c03e8d14ded72f322996b7.gif

The Demon Slayer movie only did about $48 million in the US, so by certain people's logic it is a failure. Ignor the fact it did $503 million worldwide.

Also ignor 3 of the top 5 box office returns this year are Chinese movies.  But again, these are all failures because of low US returns.

On 11/14/2021 at 4:51 PM, drotto said:

Movies are basically set up so they never show a profit so they can get tax write offs.  It a dirty little trick.  The jist of it is all movies are made under a new company.  If you are making movie X, it would be movie X LLC. The LLC shoulders all of the production costs and sellers for making the movie. That LLC then contracts with say Disney to promote, distribute, and finance the film.  Disney charges movie X LLC so much money for these services that the LLC will always show a loss. Then Disney, who actually owns the LLC, files taxes stating the LLC lost money and uses those refunds to offset some of what the parent company made.  I know I do not understand all of how this is done. But that is the idea.

Bohemian Rhapsody screenwriter Anthony McCarten has filed a breach of contract suit against Graham King and his GK Films for money owed on the 2018 Best Picture-nominated film about Queen and its iconic singer Freddie Mercury.

The lawsuit hit today and shows a fascinating peek behind the curtain that shows what happens when participants rely on studio net point deals. The $55 million budget film grossed $911 million worldwide, and yet according to accounting statements issued by Twentieth Century Fox Film Corporation, Bohemian Rhapsody is in the red, to the tune of $51 million.

On 11/15/2021 at 5:52 PM, piper said:
On 11/15/2021 at 11:58 AM, Bosco685 said:

And naturally in Marvel movies early on New York City was it. Where all space invasions should land!

ILOVENY.gif.007095a534f380a5f893a05b1b38cc5b.gif

(:

Expand  

In DC Movies they always seem to happen in Gotham or Metropolis...

In early MCU films films, one space invasion occurs in New York City in Avengers. The others were in a New Mexico desert town (Thor) and London (Thor 2). If you count Captain Marvel, then it was Los Angeles and the California desert.

New York City doesn't get invaded again until Infinity War when Thanos' Black Order come looking for the Time Stone. Infinity War's big space invasion occurs in Wakanda.