• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

MCU's THE ETERNALS (11/6/20)
8 8

3,079 posts in this topic

On 1/3/2022 at 8:04 AM, sagekilz said:

The MST3K 'Manos' is a spectacle to behold.

Dr Forrester even apologized to Joel for that one.

I told my parents that this is on Disney+, and my dad decided to watch it prior to my comments. He texted me within 5 minutes saying, "wow, this is bad". My dad enjoys pretty much anything. Less than 5 minutes in, and this is comically bad. Let's see if it gets any better...

Just watched this finally now that it's on Disney. 

Overall, I thought it was a flawed movie with a lot of promise. My main sense was that the film was hampered by being beholden to superhero movie tropes. I felt like there was a much better movie that the filmmaker was trying to get to but didn't because of the constraints of the genre. What I don't understand is why those constraints are there - there's no real reason why, just because it's in the MCU, it has to all be resolved with a dumb cgi fist fight. I don't know if Marvel is to blame or the director, but it almost felt like they didn't trust the fans to come along on the journey so they dumbed aspects of it down to try and play to what they think the audience expects. 

Specifically, the big issue for me was that the deviants storyline went nowhere and ultimately meant nothing. They set stuff up with the deviant, but once we got the surprise twist about the real bad guy, the deviant arc became pointless so they just sort of randomly ended it in a pointless side fight. The fact that the deviants and eternals are essentially the same was thematically rich, especially as the thrust of the film is the eternals finding and embracing their own humanity. A much better way to go for me would have been to explore this by, say, having the unimind require the deviant to be part of it in order to succeed. Having Ikarus reject has humanity at the same time the deviants tried to find theirs should have been a rich vein to explore. Instead they squandered it for a boring cgi fight that added nothing.

I also hated the post credits scene. Pip the troll sucks in any context, but that scene was so tonally jarring compared to the movie that preceded it that it kind of crapped on the entire film.

First watch thoughts I give it a B-. It could have been great but it shot itself in the foot for no reason. 

On 1/13/2022 at 9:35 AM, Crimebuster said:

Just watched this finally now that it's on Disney. 

Overall, I thought it was a flawed movie with a lot of promise. My main sense was that the film was hampered by being beholden to superhero movie tropes. I felt like there was a much better movie that the filmmaker was trying to get to but didn't because of the constraints of the genre. What I don't understand is why those constraints are there - there's no real reason why, just because it's in the MCU, it has to all be resolved with a dumb cgi fist fight. I don't know if Marvel is to blame or the director, but it almost felt like they didn't trust the fans to come along on the journey so they dumbed aspects of it down to try and play to what they think the audience expects. 

Specifically, the big issue for me was that the deviants storyline went nowhere and ultimately meant nothing. They set stuff up with the deviant, but once we got the surprise twist about the real bad guy, the deviant arc became pointless so they just sort of randomly ended it in a pointless side fight. The fact that the deviants and eternals are essentially the same was thematically rich, especially as the thrust of the film is the eternals finding and embracing their own humanity. A much better way to go for me would have been to explore this by, say, having the unimind require the deviant to be part of it in order to succeed. Having Ikarus reject has humanity at the same time the deviants tried to find theirs should have been a rich vein to explore. Instead they squandered it for a boring cgi fight that added nothing.

I also hated the post credits scene. Pip the troll sucks in any context, but that scene was so tonally jarring compared to the movie that preceded it that it kind of crapped on the entire film.

First watch thoughts I give it a B-. It could have been great but it shot itself in the foot for no reason. 

what a great and thoughtful review. +1

Just watched it on Disney+.  I have to say when I first heard of this movie coming out I was super excited about the direction it was going to take the MCU.  Then I started reading all the hateful reviews the movie got and decided not to go to the theater to see it and just wait to stream.  I can honestly say I really enjoyed the movie and am looking forward to the next ten years of movies and how I’ll look back as this was the start of possibly/hopefully the next big villain.  You can pick it apart all you want but it was way better than my expectations.  The only criticism I had was the humor didn’t work very well.  This movie had more of a serious tone and the humor didn’t feel like the normal balance of seriousness and humor in a marvel movie.  Out of all the marvel movies I don’t think I would rank it as a top five movie but it’s definitely in the top half.