• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

MCU's THE ETERNALS (11/6/20)
8 8

3,079 posts in this topic

Eternals was awful but the theme was "Humans are flawed, but worth saving".  Which has been done to death but whatt're ya gonna do?

We just finished watching it. It was not the worst movie I've seen, not the best. Scenery was pretty. I know zip about the Eternals so I'm going to have to watch it again because I know I dozed off at some point. My husband who didn't even know there was such a group said it was not bad.

I thought Icarus (Ikarus?) did a little too much fire eye stuff and I was waiting to see the Black Knight on a horse...that never happened.

Maybe next time.

Some of it was just silly.

Spoiler

Like when Sersi got stabbed and her outfit had no holes and Angelina Jolie being crazy and not crazy...and sometimes I couldn't tell the difference;)  But it started when everyone could sign 5,000 years ago and "Time" meant pointing to your wrist..

Spoiler

Watched this in 2 parts now that it’s on Disney plus, it’s definitely near the bottom of the MCU rankings but I’m interested to see how and when they mix up the characters with others from the MCU. It should throw up some opportunities to bring out more in the characters.

On 1/17/2022 at 4:06 PM, skypinkblu said:

We just finished watching it. It was not the worst movie I've seen, not the best. Scenery was pretty. I know zip about the Eternals so I'm going to have to watch it again because I know I dozed off at some point. My husband who didn't even know there was such a group said it was not bad.

I thought Icarus (Ikarus?) did a little too much fire eye stuff and I was waiting to see the Black Knight on a horse...that never happened.

Maybe next time.

Some of it was just silly.

Reveal hidden contents

Like when Sersi got stabbed and her outfit had no holes and Angelina Jolie being crazy and not crazy...and sometimes I couldn't tell the difference;)  But it started when everyone could sign 5,000 years ago and "Time" meant pointing to your wrist..

Reveal hidden contents

It's spelt Ikaris, and your spoilered part is hilarious. lol

On 1/17/2022 at 7:06 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

Sweet Baby Jesus, I'm surprised that Artboy got a word in:

image.thumb.png.3a2238888ee84727cccee9de18b6d874.png

PLEASE! We are in the presence of Hollywood royalty.

On 1/15/2022 at 10:26 PM, @therealsilvermane said:

Dude, I f***ing work in the film and video industry, studied the sh*t in college, and I've actually won awards for my commercial and film work that I've written and directed. And yes, I have read many screenplay books and I wouldn't use Syd Field as my key to understanding movies. I'm actually just trying to help you out here but I've concluded now that you're a waste of my time from here on out. 

Capra:

Capra.gif.405ce43f7824bf1ddf0e9d7410cb7270.gif

On 1/17/2022 at 10:06 PM, theCapraAegagrus said:

Sweet Baby Jesus, I'm surprised that Artboy got a word in:

image.thumb.png.3a2238888ee84727cccee9de18b6d874.png

To be fair some posts got removed, and some people got warnings and threadbans. There were other posts in between some of his rants. 

I still haven't got to see this yet. Hopefully I'll get a chance on the weekend to watch it. After everything I've read, my enthusiasm has been somewhat dimmed, but I'm still looking forward to seeing what Richard Madden can do. He'll be the highlight for me. 

On 1/17/2022 at 8:36 AM, Mecha_Fantastic said:

I still haven't got to see this yet. Hopefully I'll get a chance on the weekend to watch it. After everything I've read, my enthusiasm has been somewhat dimmed, but I'm still looking forward to seeing what Richard Madden can do. He'll be the highlight for me. 

Nanjiani outclasses him in this, IMO.

On 1/17/2022 at 11:41 PM, theCapraAegagrus said:

Nanjiani outclasses him in this, IMO.

Really? That's surprising, because IMO Madden is pretty charismatic. I know Nanjiani worked so hard for this role though, so I guess it's not too surprising that he steals the show. 

On 1/17/2022 at 8:45 AM, Mecha_Fantastic said:

Really? That's surprising, because IMO Madden is pretty charismatic. I know Nanjiani worked so hard for this role though, so I guess it's not too surprising that he steals the show. 

Sadly, Nanjiani is the only lead with any charisma in this one. Everyone else acts like robots, which is possibly intentional? It was very surprising, considering the cast. The dialogue doesn't really help any of them.

Harington is also good, but he's not a lead.

On 1/17/2022 at 11:52 PM, theCapraAegagrus said:

Sadly, Nanjiani is the only lead with any charisma in this one. Everyone else acts like robots, which is possibly intentional? It was very surprising, considering the cast. The dialogue doesn't really help any of them.

Harington is also good, but he's not a lead.

Okay, that has to be intentional, because that cast can definitely act. Are they stiffer than Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan in the opening scenes of The Phantom Menace? Because that was some robotic acting, especially Neeson (bad directing, of course, not their fault). 

On 1/17/2022 at 8:56 AM, Mecha_Fantastic said:

Okay, that has to be intentional, because that cast can definitely act. Are they stiffer than Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan in the opening scenes of The Phantom Menace? Because that was some robotic acting, especially Neeson (bad directing, of course, not their fault). 

I would actually say that it's somewhat on-par with that. lol

Okay...finally finished.

The good:

• Decent cast - although folks are correct. Kumail Nanjiani was the high point. And while I *really* liked Richard Madden in Bodyguard, his performance here was more inert - underwhelming.
  • Points for the diverse representation - especially the portrayal as one character as incidentally gay and his kiss. I'm old enough to remember when Murphy Brown was almost cancelled because its primetime portrayal of an unwed single mother was seen as subverting "family values." That Disney now includes such a kiss in a kids movie shows how far U.S. society has come.
  • Some interesting themes presented - and twists - both obvious and not.
  • Loved the
    Spoiler

Superman vs. Flash fight. Sorry...erm..."Ikaris" v. "Makkari"

The bad:

• Overly long and too boring. Specifically: 40 minutes too long for no discernible reason. Could have cut two of the characters and tightened it up.
  • The final battle hinged on the unimind, which seemed wholesale lifted from Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers - even moreso given their different color costumes
  • Humor didn't work the way it did in the Guardians of the Galaxy films. Just seemed forced here, tonally jarring to its detriment.
  • This summation was perfect: 
    On 1/13/2022 at 12:35 PM, Crimebuster said:

The fact that the deviants and eternals are essentially the same was thematically rich, especially as the thrust of the film is the eternals finding and embracing their own humanity. A much better way to go for me would have been to explore this by, say, having the unimind require the deviant to be part of it in order to succeed. Having Ikarus reject has humanity at the same time the deviants tried to find theirs should have been a rich vein to explore. Instead they squandered it for a boring cgi fight that added nothing.

Granted, the only Eternals comic I've read was the first Neil Gaiman-authored issue 15 years ago. Didn't care about the characters then - and having seen the movie, don't care about them now.

On the one hand, I'm impressed that we're now so deeply into the MCU that Marvel can spend $200 million on a D-list set of characters that's never lasted more than 20 issues.

But it's easy to see why this film was a failure - both critically panned and ignored by theatrical moviegoers.

Kudos to the studio for taking such huge risks with this film.

But dang, was it mediocre. 

I'd sooner re-watch Ghost Rider: Spirits of Vengeance - or even the first two episodes of The Inhumans, than this one.

Even BvS has scenes so laughably bad they're at least entertaining. Not so here.

Grade: C.

Edited by Gatsby77

On 1/14/2022 at 1:06 PM, @therealsilvermane said:

It needs to be retconned or whatever that Ego in GOTGv2 is not a Celestial. If they don't, then Celestial is a broad term in the MCU. Either way, Ego is not the same type of cosmic being that Arishem and Tiamut are.

Disagree.

I saw nothing in Eternals that negates or is inconsistent with Ego also being a Celestial in GOTG Vol. 2.

I just finished watching Eternals on Disney+ last night.

I thought it was pretty bad. Another turd, among Marvel's recent string of cinematic turds :frown:. Although, Spider-Man was amazing, and I love the Disney+ shows. I suppose I'm referring specifically to Black Widow which I thought was "okay" and Shang-Chi which I thought was "terrible".

Eternals seemed very generic, bland, and uninteresting. Marvel struck gold with their unique take on a sci-fi movie with Guardians of the Galaxy. There was a specific stylistic vision with that film series. With Eternals, I was not conveyed a specific vision. For example, was it supposed to be an intense, dark, gritty movie, or was it supposed to be whimsical, funny, and light-hearted? 

I found the characters to mostly be pretty boring. Although, I did like the Indian guy as a concept. I think his character would've been much better if he were some non-galactic entity. If that same sort of self-promoting Bollywood star were cleverly written somewhere else in the MCU, I'd be all for it. Most of the other characters I found forgettable. Angelina Jolie's character (Thena) was my least favorite of the Eternals. Firstly, I'd rather see largely unknown actors in those roles. Secondly, I felt like she wanted the role of Wonder Woman but lost the casting to Gal Gadot, so she felt like this might be her chance to play a Wonder Woman character. Thena's personality was just so...nothing. She had no distinguishing personality. 

No distinguishing personality sums up the Eternals as a movie.

Edited by KingOfRulers