• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

MCU's THE ETERNALS (11/6/20)
8 8

3,079 posts in this topic

On 1/15/2022 at 4:10 PM, kav said:

'Fear' would be the movie's SUBJECT.  Or revenge. "This is a revenge movie".  Theme is entirely different.   John Wick is a revenge movie.  The subject is revenge.  The theme, however, is "a top killer that gives it all up for love gets drawn back in by his search for revenge".  

I'd say I'm completely wasting my time with you but I also don't mind trying to get through to neophytes every now and then...

On 1/15/2022 at 6:00 PM, @therealsilvermane said:

show me the part where in a pitch meeting he said 'this movie is abt fear'.   Nightmare on elm street was about fear too-whats your point?

On 1/15/2022 at 6:04 PM, @therealsilvermane said:

1684758010_ScreenShot2022-01-15at9_03_29PM.thumb.png.2f228e1186bdab93afc13623ef114027.png

Yes "A man who transforms his fear into his strength" would be a theme.
"Fear" is not.  thats wut I have been saying.

On 1/15/2022 at 6:21 PM, @therealsilvermane said:

I'd say I'm completely wasting my time with you but I also don't mind trying to get through to neophytes every now and then...

You obviously have never read a screenplay book in your life.  I've read most all of them, several times.  There's a neophyte here but it's not me.

On 1/15/2022 at 9:30 PM, kav said:

You obviously have never read a screenplay book in your life.  I've read most all of them, several times.  There's a neophyte here but it's not me.

Dude, I f***ing work in the film and video industry, studied the sh*t in college, and I've actually won awards for my commercial and film work that I've written and directed. And yes, I have read many screenplay books and I wouldn't use Syd Field as my key to understanding movies. I'm actually just trying to help you out here but I've concluded now that you're a waste of my time from here on out. 

On 1/15/2022 at 7:26 PM, @therealsilvermane said:

Dude, I f***ing work in the film and video industry, studied the sh*t in college, and I've actually won awards for my commercial and film work that I've written and directed. And yes, I have read many screenplay books and I wouldn't use Syd Field as my key to understanding movies. I'm actually just trying to help you out here but I've concluded now that you're a waste of my time from here on out. 

then you absorbed nothing if you think a film's theme is a one word description like 'fear'.  Or if you think Eternals fits Scorcese's definition of true cinema.  In fact he has expressly stated that superhero films are not 'true cinema'.

This reminds me of the time I was arguing with a guy about how many endocrine glands there are.  I listed all seven and he said "no there are a lot more-I have a PhD in physiology!!!".  I said well what else ya got?  He said gloatingly SWEAT GLANDS!  I pointed out those are exocrine glands.
The argument from 'qualifications' means zippo.

Wife and I watched the movie between yesterday and today (had to break it up as it wasn't overly captivating - first bad sign).

The chemistry of the cast was non-existent. Did like Kingo and his valet interactions. Gilgamesh had his moments as well.

Movie was slow. I mean S L O W.

Definitely preferred Shang Chi and Black Widow over this movie. I enjoyed Shang Chi, and Black Widow was "meh" but had moments. Spider-Man is at a whole another level compared to all of these movies.

On 1/15/2022 at 7:47 PM, Capn17 said:

Wife and I watched the movie between yesterday and today (had to break it up as it wasn't overly captivating - first bad sign).

The chemistry of the cast was non-existent. Did like Kingo and his valet interactions. Gilgamesh had his moments as well.

Movie was slow. I mean S L O W.

Definitely preferred Shang Chi and Black Widow over this movie. I enjoyed Shang Chi, and Black Widow was "meh" but had moments. Spider-Man is at a whole another level compared to all of these movies.

I seriously cannot get my head around someone thinking this movie is some great true cinema masterpiece.  I mean saying they liked it is one thing-but making claims such as that is baffling.  and "I'm an expert!!!" does not add any weight whatsoever to such an analysis.  The film is weak sauce, man.

On 1/15/2022 at 10:26 PM, @therealsilvermane said:

What awards did you win?

On 1/15/2022 at 10:26 PM, @therealsilvermane said:

You will say anything - do anything - to make it appear like your views are more valid than other forumites. Won't you?

That only goes to demonstrate how disingenuous you are in wanting to have healthy and even-handed discussions. As long as the other party supports Marvel Studios as the greatest ever, only they are good enough. Yet you will detract from other studios and productions just because they are not in the MCU. That is not a healthy mindset.

On 1/16/2022 at 3:39 AM, ▫️ said:

We know this. You work for Disney. You’re just a shill account to promote their movies. It’s all good, we all gotta put food on the table.

No, I'm actually that little flicker of light left in your soul trying to tell you that the D in DC stands for dead-end and Marvel is the only way...