• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

MCU's THE ETERNALS (11/6/20)
8 8

3,079 posts in this topic

On 1/14/2022 at 5:41 PM, @therealsilvermane said:

Look man, I'm not trying to get into a writing class debate here. Whatever. On a last note, below is a copy and paste from googling "themes of Anton Chekhov", who is considered one of the great playwrights and short story writers in literary history. If you want to reply, fine, but I'm not debating this subect. Anyway, below is a copy and paste from googling common themes in Chekhov's work:

Here we explore the themes, motifs and symbols inherent in Chekhov's works.
  • Theme | Disease And Death.
  • Theme | Frustrated Dreams And Unfulfilled Expectations.

some of the screenplay books I have read are unclear on what a theme is and say things like that but most of them, the good ones, and especially Syd Field explicate the theme clearly like the guy in the video above.
If 'disease and death' is a theme, what about disease and death?  good?  Bad?  necessary part of nature?  avoidable?  The definition of theme you want to use tells us absolutely nothing.  Writing screenplays is clear and concise and tells us things.  Hang on to what you want if your need to be right is large, all I can do is give knowledge-cant force anyone to accept it.

Also you seem to be quoting from some literary analysis book-in screenplays the word theme has a specific meaning, different from that used sometimes in literature.

Watched it today and I liked it. I will definitely need a second viewing, as it was a bit "meaty". They made a film where if you have to take a whiz at the wrong time, you can miss enough to confuse you. The special effects where fantastic, although I felt the Celestials may have been a bit underexposed. I missed it at the theater and would have enjoyed Imax. GOD BLESS... 

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

Edited by jimjum12

Also just watched first time today. After reading this thread I thought it would be like "Justice League bad". But it was way better than Justice League and I enjoyed it. Not loved, but liked it enough. It was a lot of new stuff for me, as I was not an Eternals reader, but the character development was good, I liked their evolution. I also liked the premise of the Celestials and look forward to their involvement.

Edited by zuckuss2003

If eternals was about 'humanity', it didnt feature humanity much-it was about eternals, deviants, and celestials.  the only part where humanity was even featured was where eternals learned to love humanity.  so it was about eternals loving humanity, not humanity.  (shrug)
Just imagine the pitch meeting- "whats the movie about?"  "Humanity!"
"um-"

Edited by kav

On 1/14/2022 at 7:05 PM, kav said:

If eternals was about 'humanity', it didnt feature humanity much-it was about eternals, deviants, and celestials.  the only part where humanity was even featured was where eternals learned to love humanity.  so it was about eternals loving humanity, not humanity.  (shrug)
"um-"

oh

On 1/14/2022 at 10:05 PM, kav said:

"um-"

5A159ED3-4059-4E5E-940C-A6DF6FFAE59A.jpeg

On 1/15/2022 at 9:32 AM, bentbryan said:

5A159ED3-4059-4E5E-940C-A6DF6FFAE59A.jpeg

The trailer is misleading. Maybe whoever came up with this meme didn't see the actual movie. The Eternals totally interfered with MCU human history. They protected humanity from out-of-control Deviant monsters and also helped them advance by giving them tools like bronze knives and the plow. This was done so humanity could thrive and grow, apparently so there could be enough life on the planet to trigger The Emergence, which the Eternals were oblivious to, or at least most of them.

The Eternals were instructed to never interfere in human conflict. That's it. 

Edited by @therealsilvermane

On 1/14/2022 at 10:05 PM, kav said:

"um-"

When Christopher Nolan pitched his idea for Batman Begins to Warner Bros, it's very possible he started his pitch with "This movie will be about fear." And that theme of fear permeates the entire movie, from young Bruce Wayne developing a fear of bats because of the opening scene, to Bruce embracing that fear and becoming a bat himself, to fighting the villain Scarecrow who weaponizes fear.

Yes, humanity is a very broad theme, but Eternals covers a very broad area of time over 7000 years. The movie opens 2001 Space Odyssey style at the MCU's dawn of civilization and the Eternals giving the stone age humans a "push" by first protecting them from Deviants and then turning their stone cutting tools into bronze weapons. We learn the entire purpose of the Eternals is to protect humans and also help them thrive so they can populate the Earth. The goal of Deviants is to eat humans. The goal of the Celestials is for there to be enough humans on the planet to trigger an Emergence. Each Eternal has a different relationship to the humans. Sersi and Phastos love them. Sprite wants to be one. Kingo likes their attention. Druig thinks they're self-destructive so creates his communal paradise in the Amazon jungle. Ikaris doesn't care about them, only the mission. And Ajak thinks humanity is special enough that the Eternals should revolt against their Celestial creators and save humanity. In the end, it's Ikaris's very "human" love for Sersi that saves the day when he doesn't kill her. Sprite gets to become a human and Arishem will stand in judgement over humanity to see if they were indeed worthy of a Celestial's sacrifice. The theme of humanity permeates the entire movie.

On 1/15/2022 at 12:04 PM, jimjum12 said:

Watched it today and I liked it. I will definitely need a second viewing, as it was a bit "meaty". They made a film where if you have to take a whiz at the wrong time, you can miss enough to confuse you. The special effects where fantastic, although I felt the Celestials may have been a bit underexposed. I missed it at the theater and would have enjoyed Imax. GOD BLESS... 

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

I'd hope, now that it's on home streaming and physical media, that if people needed to pee or whatever, they'd at least pause the recording before going. That irritates the heck out of me, watching a movie with someone whose already asked a million questions because they can't follow the story, then they get up to use the bathroom, and you realise and go to pause it, and they say 'no it's fine, I won't be long'. That's not the point! The point is I'm already sick of having my viewing interrupted by having to explain to you what we just saw, or what we obviously don't know yet. If I don't pause now, this just adds to the pile. 

Or worse, it starts an argument because I paused it while they go to the bathroom, because they 'won't be long'. It's still stuff I'll have to re-explain, so just watch it the first time, pppppllllleeeaaaasseeee. 

On 1/15/2022 at 10:09 AM, @therealsilvermane said:

When Christopher Nolan pitched his idea for Batman Begins to Warner Bros, it's very possible he started his pitch with "This movie will be about fear.

On 1/15/2022 at 1:05 PM, Bosco685 said:

:roflmao:

That would be fantastic! Have Christopher Nolan show up to note, "WHAT IN HEAVENS ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT?"

pretty sure he would.  I mean, WTF.

'Fear' would be the movie's SUBJECT.  Or revenge. "This is a revenge movie".  Theme is entirely different.   John Wick is a revenge movie.  The subject is revenge.  The theme, however, is "a top killer that gives it all up for love gets drawn back in by his search for revenge".  

On 1/16/2022 at 3:50 AM, Toz said:

I just tried to watch this and I could only get 26 minutes in.???

15 for me before switching off. I felt like I was watching a parody of a superhero movie. But that’s not completely fair and I will give it another try. There’s just so many other good movies and shows I must see first. But I will get to it.

On 1/15/2022 at 4:50 PM, Toz said:

I just tried to watch this and I could only get 26 minutes in.???

i watched zero minutes of it and it was awful.  even hearing abt it was -0/10

On 1/15/2022 at 4:07 PM, kav said:
On 1/15/2022 at 4:05 PM, Bosco685 said:

:roflmao:

That would be fantastic! Have Christopher Nolan show up to note, "WHAT IN HEAVENS ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT?"

pretty sure he would.  I mean, WTF.

https://nofspodcast.com/revisiting-batman-begins-christopher-nolans-meditation-on-the-nature-and-power-of-fear