• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

MCU's THE ETERNALS (11/6/20)
8 8

3,079 posts in this topic

Why Eternals Deserves A Second Chance On Disney+

I struggle to think of a film in recent years that has shape-shifted more significantly for me on a re-watch than Chloé Zhao’s Marvel epic Eternals – the most divisive MCU movie in years, earning conflicted reviews, sparking lukewarm buzz, and swiftly muscled out of multiplexes by No Time To Die and Dune, two other 150+ minute blockbusters that more successfully vied for audiences’ attention.

What struck me as I became fully hooked on a second viewing of Eternals – with its beautifully-shot fight sequences, meaty explorations of existential questions, and Kumail Nanjiani doing a Bollywood dance – is that it’s everything Marvel sceptics always say they want MCU movies and modern blockbusters to be. It’s a huge film wrangling with massive ideas, boasting brains and brawn in equal measure, and bearing a real authorial stamp from Zhao, evident both in the natural vistas that echo the look of her previous films, and in the clear influences from the likes of Alan Moore’s Watchmen and Zack Snyder’s Man Of Steel (you only need to read an interview with the filmmaker to realise her nerd credentials are as strong as her indie-flick ones). Eternals is exciting, it’s funny, it’s bold and unexpected – and it’s emotional too, climaxing with a superhero suicide from a fallen hero who can’t live with the fact he betrayed his god. So much for Marvel playing it safe.

https://www.empireonline.com/movies/features/marvel-eternals-deserves-second-chance/

'Eternals': The Perfect Companion Piece to 'Watchmen'

In both stories, there are betrayals within the actual teams themselves rooted in philosophical differences about humanity. And in both, the case for bringing about the apocalypse is justified by rationale that doing so benefits the greater good. Additionally, the overall narratives of both immerse themselves in a revisionist history seen through the perspective of the characters and their respective impacts on the world around them, along with the world’s impacts on them on a personal level.

https://www.whattowatch.com/features/eternals-the-perfect-companion-piece-to-watchmen

On 1/16/2022 at 11:23 AM, Artboy99 said:

Kumail Nanjiani doing a Bollywood dance

I despised this scene, as it had nothing to do with the Eternals and is only there for comedic purposes. Extreme over the top cringe.

In the Jack Kirby comics, Kingo Sunen is an Eternal who has become a famous Japanese samurai movie star. It's kinda right out of the comics, except Kingo has been changed from Japanese-centric to India-centric for the MCU. That makes sense in the present tense because samurai movies are no longer popular but Bollywood movies are.

KingoMarvelComics.thumb.jpg.322076ac01df035dc2b87182f8439cd8.jpg

Edited by @therealsilvermane

On 1/16/2022 at 9:28 AM, @therealsilvermane said:

In the Jack Kirby comics, Kingo Sunen is an Eternal who has become a famous Japanese samurai movie star. It's kinda right out of the comics, except Kingo has been changed from Japanese-centric to India-centric for the MCU. That makes sense in the present tense because samurai movies are no longer popular but Bollywood movies are.

KingoMarvelComics.thumb.jpg.322076ac01df035dc2b87182f8439cd8.jpg

except in the comics he portrays Samurai who are a military nobility. The Eternals all seem to carry a nobility about them. There is nothing noble about the bollywood dance and the cheesy facial expressions Kingo makes as he does it. Hated it! If you liked it I am happy for you, but it is exactly that type of scene that is ruining Marvel movies for me.

On 1/16/2022 at 11:40 AM, Artboy99 said:

except in the comics he portrays Samurai who are a military nobility. The Eternals all seem to carry a nobility about them. There is nothing noble about the bollywood dance and the cheesy facial expressions Kingo makes as he does it. Hated it! If you liked it I am happy for you, but it is exactly that type of scene that is ruining Marvel movies for me.

It was very cringe-worthy and disappointing.

The shame is how they gathered such great talent together though for this movie. That I give them credit for pulling together such a cast. But I really wanted a rewatchable movie. I already have my own methods for pleasant sleep.

On 1/16/2022 at 10:29 AM, Bosco685 said:

It was very cringe-worthy and disappointing.

The shame is how they gathered such great talent together though for this movie. That I give them credit for pulling together such a cast. But I really wanted a rewatchable movie. I already have my own methods for pleasant sleep.

one of the guys I saw Eternals with took a nap during the rather long sequence where they were finding each other. You might be on to a new sleeplessness remedy!

On 1/16/2022 at 11:18 AM, Artboy99 said:

one of the guys I saw Eternals with took a nap during the rather long sequence where they were finding each other. You might be on to a new sleeplessness remedy!

Could win an Oscar for this alone!! (worship)

and PS could we stop using the word troll for 'someone who disagrees with me'?  Troll is a person who says things just to get a reaction but doesnt believe what he is actually saying.  If you think we dont actually believe that Eternals sucks and that No Way Home is great, you would be wrong.  #stopmisusingthewordtroll

I did see Eternals from Disney+ yesterday. It was not as bad as Shang-Chi which was a mess. 
But I wonder why they even made this film? Remove couple lines where they mention Avengers and Thanos
and the film could be some random scifi movie.

Guardians Of The Galaxy had it own story but it also moved the bigger Thanos story forward. So even if you did not know
anyone of those chracters you kinda had a feeling that you were watching something familiar.

Also the movie did not have a real villain. Viewers also should care about the main characters but Eternals are just bunch of tools. 
I did not care who wins Eternals, Deviants or Celestials. 

Also that WW2 Hiroshima scene was horrible. They should not mix real things with this nonsense.

I give this 3/5 stars.

Edited by godzilla43

I'm about 60% of the way through now (just over an hour left) ... and

my god, is it a slog.

Beautifully shot, some nice twists (so far) and credible work by the actors.

But it's got far too much exposition.

It's pretentious - which, in and itself, could be okay. But worst of all, it's *boring.*

Even the worst comic book films are at least entertaining - I've re-watched Green Lantern and Ghost Rider - because, for all their flaws, they're *fun.*

Hell - even Ghost Rider: Spirits of Vengeance was fun - because Nicolas Cage & Idris Elba *knew* they were making trash, and reveled in it. And that one got bonus points from some Christopher Lambert (ahem - Highlander) stunt-casting.

Unless something dramatically changes in the next hour, I won't be watching this again.

And I'll be seriously questioning what the point of it all was.

On 1/16/2022 at 4:15 PM, Gatsby77 said:

I'm about 60% of the way through now (just over an hour left) ... and

my god, is it a slog.

Beautifully shot, some nice twists (so far) and credible work by the actors.

But it's got far too much exposition.

It's pretentious - which, in and itself, could be okay. But worst of all, it's *boring.*

Even the worst comic book films are at least entertaining - I've re-watched Green Lantern and Ghost Rider - because, for all their flaws, they're *fun.*

Hell - even Ghost Rider: Spirits of Vengeance was fun - because Nicolas Cage & Idris Elba *knew* they were making trash, and reveled in it. And that one got bonus points from some Christopher Lambert (ahem - Highlander) stunt-casting.

Unless something dramatically changes in the next hour, I won't be watching this again.

And I'll be seriously questioning what the point of it all was.

But it has a diverse cast!!!  Thats enough of a plot!  :makepoint:

• Administrator

This thread has been cleaned up.  If there are any more disturbances, I will ban more people from this topic, and possibly lock the thread.  Lets not make comments about any of the posters.  Just stick to the movie.