• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

MCU's THE ETERNALS (11/6/20)
8 8

3,079 posts in this topic

On 1/19/2022 at 10:47 PM, drotto said:

Telling someone to learn is extremely condescending. You are basically saying anyone else's viewpoint is wrong, and they need to listen and agree with you, because ultimately you have the only correct viewpoint and only you truly understand the subject . 

Sometimes being condescending is unavoidable when having to respond to some comments.

Edited by @therealsilvermane

On 1/19/2022 at 10:52 PM, drotto said:
On 1/19/2022 at 10:48 PM, kav said:

bingo.  I've heard that from flat earthers and others.  

Flat earth videos are endlessly entertaining in their stupidity.  The gift that keeps giving.

Wait, are y'all trying to straw-man me by saying I'm a flat earther? Now I've seen everything here.

Marvel's Eternals Racks Up Record-Breaking 2 Million View Debut on Disney+

Despite being trashed on Rotten Tomatoes and not quite delivering as expected in cinemas, Eternals has proven its worth on Disney+.

When looking at the performance of Eternals, two million streams in five days is a decent figure, but comparing it outside the Marvel bubble with HBO Max movies like The Suicide Squad and The Matrix: Resurrections, the film didn’t gain the same amount of views as those two movies did in the same time period. Of course, both The Suicide Squad and The Matrix Resurrections were released on HBO Max at the same time as they made their cinematic debut, and when it comes to cinema audience numbers, the gross of those two movies combined was less than Eternals box office haul. Eternals also managed to pull in more views than either Cruella or Mulan, which both were given a day and date release on Disney+ and brought in 686,000 and 1.2 million respectively.

https://movieweb.com/marvels-eternals-2-million-view-debut-disney-plus/

Edited by @therealsilvermane

Lil Nas X, ‘Pose,’ ‘Eternals’ & More Get 2022 GLAAD Media Award Noms

It’s once again time for the GLAAD Media Awards, where the LGBTQ+ advocacy organization recognizes media for accurate and inclusive representation that pushes depictions of the LGBTQ+ community forward.

Outstanding Film - Wide Release

Eternals (Walt Disney Studios Motion Pictures)

Everybody's Talking About Jamie (Amazon Studios)

The Mitchells vs. the Machines (Netflix)

tick, tick... BOOM! (Netflix)

West Side Story (Walt Disney Studios Motion Pictures)

https://www.out.com/media/2022/1/19/2022-glaad-media-award-nominations-full-list

On 1/20/2022 at 11:26 AM, @therealsilvermane said:

Despite being trashed on Rotten Tomatoes and not quite delivering as expected in cinemas, Eternals has proven its worth on Disney+.

When looking at the performance of Eternals, two million streams in five days is a decent figure, but comparing it outside the Marvel bubble with HBO Max movies like The Suicide Squad and The Matrix: Resurrections, the film didn’t gain the same amount of views as those two movies did in the same time period. Of course, both The Suicide Squad and The Matrix Resurrections were released on HBO Max at the same time as they made their cinematic debut, and when it comes to cinema audience numbers, the gross of those two movies combined was less than Eternals box office haul. Eternals also managed to pull in more views than either Cruella or Mulan, which both were given a day and date release on Disney+ and brought in 686,000 and 1.2 million respectively.

A story like this was posted the other day concerning the Samba tracking. Did you miss that with all the counterpoint posts you are attempting?

On 1/20/2022 at 9:26 AM, @therealsilvermane said:

That's less than the 2.5 million Views 1 episode of  Loki got (Ep6 BTW) :roflmao: Total record breaker. :golfclap:

On 1/20/2022 at 2:14 PM, Finhead said:

That's less than the 2.5 million Views 1 episode of  Loki got (Ep6 BTW) :roflmao: Total record breaker. :golfclap:

I wonder how many of the "views" were from people who shut it off after 10 minutes and came back to see if they could finish it? I have never seen so many people comment that they tried to watch it - multiple times - and just couldn't get through it.

Could be confirmation bias, but I have never seen this before for an MCU film, proving to me that this is without a doubt Marvel Studio's worst entry.

On 1/20/2022 at 12:19 PM, theCapraAegagrus said:

I wonder how many of the "views" were from people who shut it off after 10 minutes and came back to see if they could finish it? I have never seen so many people comment that they tried to watch it - multiple times - and just couldn't get through it.

Could be confirmation bias, but I have never seen this before for an MCU film, proving to me that this is without a doubt Marvel Studio's worst entry.

Yeah I wonder the same, and it's something like 4-5min that count as a view so.....

On 1/20/2022 at 2:19 PM, theCapraAegagrus said:

From someone constantly accusing me of straw-man arguments using one himself...first wonders if Eternals' 2 million views were mostly people who watched the required minutes to count as a view before turning it off, then concludes they were, then uses that "conclusion" as proof that Eternals is the worst MCU movie.

What I'm actually seeing on social media (not here) is that a lot of MCU fans who skipped it at the movies and waited to see it on Disney+ are saying that the movie is nowhere near as bad as 50% of RT critics said it was, and that they actually enjoyed the movie.

On 1/20/2022 at 4:21 PM, @therealsilvermane said:

From someone constantly accusing me of straw-man arguments using one himself...first wonders if Eternals' 2 million views were mostly people who watched the required minutes to count as a view before turning it off, then concludes they were, then uses that "conclusion" as proof that Eternals is the worst MCU movie.

What I'm actually seeing on social media (not here) is that a lot of MCU fans who skipped it at the movies and waited to see it on Disney+ are saying that the movie is nowhere near as bad as 50% of RT critics said it was, and that they actually enjoyed the movie.

When you engage with sound chambers that repeat what you want to hear over and over, you bet they are going to say that thing.

It's called a self-fulfilling prophecy when you go to the same sources that enjoy what you enjoy, and then the response you get back is "I LIKE THIS TOO!" Like when you would follow MCU Cosmic (hint what he was nuts over) and then noting he really thinks the MCU is going to deliver more great things. What did you think he was going to proclaim?

On 1/20/2022 at 1:21 PM, @therealsilvermane said:

Sory but no.  As soon as you start a movie it counts as a view-even if you only watch 1 second.  And its obvious some number of people did indeed turn it off after some short period of time.  Because assuming everyone who started the movie finished it, and liked it, now thats an erroneous unfounded conclusion.

On 1/20/2022 at 1:22 PM, @therealsilvermane said:

Nope, not a metaphor, Drax.

154641668_draxmetaphor.png.cb9476ca4eea63ba34d28cc3d6ee9e6f.png

Wow not only do you know what christopher nolan and chloe zhao think, now you are claiming to read my mind.
I said it, and it was a metaphor.  For people who think they have the only correct viewpoint and only they truly understand the subject . 
Boom.

On 1/20/2022 at 5:07 PM, Buzzetta said:

I think that the 2 million views are not accurate numbers as to the popularity of anything right now. 

The only movie that would get me out of the house was Spider-man.   This is New York we are talking about.  The movie attendance is still not there.  So?  What do you do?  You watch what you got.  

Spoiler

I was not paying to see Eternals.  I did not pay to see Dune, Black Widow, Jungle Cruise... any of them.

Eternals was not given a green light and casted and filmed and licensed out for merch opportunities for Disney+.  It was meant to be seen in theaters.    Watching Eternals on Disney+ was a matter of convenience and because there was not anything else on.  It debuted in January when many networks are still on a mid season hiatus from their regular programming.  I mean I have to be honest.  If Eternals was running against the final season premier of, "This is Us" I am watching NBC on a Tuesday at 9 to see why Toby and Kate broke up. 

Marvel does not currently have the hype and sense of urgency that they had after Nick Fury showed up at the end of Iron Man in a tag scene to ask him about the Avenger Initiative.  To paraphrase the legendary Pat Patterson, "The crowd went banana."  From there, we saw in Hulk that there was mention of a WWII Super Solider program that they were trying to duplicate and Tony Stark appears at the end to talk to Ross.  References to Cap?  OMG OMG OMG. They are doing it they are doing it.  We get to Iron Man 2 and we are introduced to Black Widow, then Hawkeye and Thor in Thor... then Cap wakes up.... 

OMG They are doing this... we will see this culminate in Avengers.  There was genuine interest and investment because something like this had never really been done before.  We get to Avengers and then we see Thanos in the end.  Suddenly we had phases and movies and we knew where this was leading.  EVERY MARVEL MOVIE WAS SPECIAL AND AMAZING AND IT WAS ONE THING LEADING TO THE GRAND FINALE!!! 

We don't have that anymore.  We can pick and choose.   The excitement and NEED to see each and every Marvel movie no longer exists with the urgency that it once did.  

Eternals probably did better on Disney+ than it would have in the theater.  Take away Covid, and I do not believe that Eternals does well at all.   People watched it because it was 'there'.

I had no plans of attending theater performances late in 2021 going into early 2022. But man did that film help me get over the 2-year gap while also remaining safe while seeing it.

:applause:

On 1/16/2022 at 12:18 PM, Artboy99 said:

one of the guys I saw Eternals with took a nap during the rather long sequence where they were finding each other. You might be on to a new sleeplessness remedy!

It's hardly the first time that @thehumantorchfell asleep in a film.  Just sayin...

On 1/20/2022 at 5:22 PM, piper said:

It's hardly the first time that @thehumantorchfell asleep in a film.  Just sayin...

I wanted to post a laughing emoji but because this was a Canadian post I figured I would invoke the Greggy response.   Know that I actually laughed out loud at this. 

8941807_ScreenShot2022-01-20at5_24_19PM.png.04f652d7e93ebc90b1cbe422c994604d.png