• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

MCU's THE ETERNALS (11/6/20)
8 8

3,079 posts in this topic

On 1/19/2022 at 1:06 PM, Bosco685 said:
On 1/19/2022 at 12:40 PM, Chaos_in_Canada said:

FJac7w8WQAEM_wR?format=jpg&name=large

:roflmao:

Samba: "Should we also include how many then demanded their time back?"

0.016% of households watched.  :cool:

On 1/19/2022 at 2:52 PM, kav said:

I'm wondering why people arent mailing their copies back to Marvel for a refund.

They are still working on the mass pile of Wonder Woman #1 from the WW84 debacle.  

On 1/19/2022 at 1:20 PM, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

They are still working on the mass pile of Wonder Woman #1 from the WW84 debacle.  

WW is DC :makepoint:

On 1/19/2022 at 1:24 PM, Buzzetta said:

For now… 

(“Wheeen you wish upon a staaaar…”)

True.  She could become Wonder Widow at some point.

So, thanks to D+, we finally got to watch The Eternals this weekend. I thought it was fine, which is what I think about most superhero movies. It's fine. They're fine. Overall, I guess I'd probably rank it near the bottom of the middle of the MCU flicks. Not at bad as the worst (Dark World, Inc Hulk, Iron Man 2, etc) and not much worse than most of the middle of the pack offerings.

What I DID like: I liked that it was visually unlike any of the other MCU films. The practical locations and cinematography were much improved over most Marvel offerings. It didn't look, feel, or move much like a Marvel movie. I consider that a bonus, as I like to be surprised, and nothing much surprises me anymore.

As for the effects sequences, I enjoyed the trippier aspects, particularly the scenes involving Celestials. Pump up the surround sound, get a little herbed up, and that's a perfectly passable Saturday night, my friends. Buzz already alluded to Pink Floyd. Cut away some of the dull stretches, and this movie would have been right at home at the planetarium during my foggy younger years!

What I didn't like: Like most movies these days, it's unnecessarily long, and a little dull. The humor didn't land for me at all, though I don't think it was as bad as Shang Chi in that respect. And I thought the costumes looked a little too Power Rangers. I realize full well that it's really difficult to translate those zany King Kirby designs to the big screen. It may be better to not try, I'm not sure.

So, in conclusion, we enjoyed it well enough, but it's unlikely I'll need to revisit it again. You could certainly do worse. Could you do better? With this material? I'm not sure how. I love Kirby like I love air, but Eternals were always kinda weird and dull. It's baked into the property.

As for the "diversity" comments, on the surface I guess the casting could seem a little forced, but on the other hand, who cares? What does it hurt to have a diverse cast? The world is diverse. I'm white. My neighbors on one side are black, the neighbors on the other side are from Iraq. I work with people from Africa, Asia, Europe. And it's not like I live in a big city, I'm in a suburb of Louisville, KY, ferchrissakes. It's a diverse world, open the door and go outside every once in a while. Geez Louise. 

On 1/19/2022 at 1:28 PM, F For Fake said:

As for the "diversity" comments, on the surface I guess the casting could seem a little forced, but on the other hand, who cares? What does it hurt to have a diverse cast? The world is diverse. I'm white. My neighbors on one side are black, the neighbors on the other side are from Iraq. I work with people from Africa, Asia, Europe. And it's not like I live in a big city, I'm in a suburb of Louisville, KY, ferchrissakes. It's a diverse world, open the door and go outside every once in a while. Geez Louise. 

Because its forced and its pandering, and that's insulting.

On 1/20/2022 at 1:33 AM, @therealsilvermane said:

You see, I celebrate MLK's birthday not only by remembering how Dr. King helped "wake up" America and live the dream, but also by coexisting with others in peace at least for a day which would preclude me from posting here.

So you got a day's vacation? J/k. 

the idea that people dont like the movie because of diversity is a red herring.  Look at the movie Shaft with sam jackson-every white character is bad.  The murderous racist, Shaft's racist boss, the 2 corrupt cops, the corrupt judge, the murderous racist's dad and wife, the cowardly witness, the cowardly witness's mother and bully brothers.  All the black characters are honorable.  However, I love that movie because it is well written.  It always boils down to script.  The Eternals -script is bad-real bad.  And the diversity is forced, unlike Shaft, where even tho it is pretty extreme, it flows naturally.

On 1/19/2022 at 3:20 PM, kav said:

WW is DC :makepoint:

This right here... 

On 1/19/2022 at 3:24 PM, Buzzetta said:

For now… 

(“Wheeen you wish upon a staaaar…”)

Kinda like the way all restaurants became Taco Bell in Demolition Man. All entertainment will eventually be the House of Mouse / MCU.

On 1/19/2022 at 3:31 PM, Bosco685 said:

Working to take focus off Eternals ain't going to do it

:baiting:

True. Was just hoping to forget one train wreck by thinking of a worse one. :banana:

On 1/19/2022 at 5:10 PM, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

True. Was just hoping to forget one train wreck by thinking of a worse one. :banana:

Oh, this was worse. Don't even attempt that distraction.

Eternals_Cast.PNG.0c1d3c8815ece36eeb1beeaa77aab01c.PNG

All that established star power and they couldn't make this be the 'Spider-Man: No Way Home' effective warm-up act. Get out of here!

In posting that, I forgot it was Gil Birmingham from 'Hell Or High Water'. You know - a solid movie.

On 1/19/2022 at 4:39 PM, Bosco685 said:

Oh no. We are staying laser-focused on this movie. Especially this movie.

:nyah:

Is this the thread where we can discuss Ozark?

The fourth and final season drops on Friday and I've been looking forward to is for awhile. 

26th film in a massive successful franchise

Hollywood royalty ANGELINA JOLIE and SALMA HAYEK in lead roles

Game of Thrones massive alumni stars KIT HARINGTON and RICHARD MADDEN

Oscar-winning director Chloe Zhao

And this movie couldn't achieve a profit, let along break even??

get-out-the-lion-king.gif.6986aca218c129e97da2218e37ea2e30.gif

On 1/19/2022 at 5:43 PM, Buzzetta said:

Is this the thread where we can discuss Ozark?

The fourth and final season drops on Friday and I've been looking forward to is for awhile. 

if you were realsilvermane and trying to distract from reality

:baiting:

On 1/19/2022 at 4:06 PM, Bosco685 said:

:roflmao:

Samba: "Should we also include how many then demanded their time back?"

2 million MCU households saying, I guess I should watch this since it is part of the MCU and it's free now. It may be important going forward, and the MCU does have a ton of fairly diehard fans.

1.8 million more MCU households greatful they did not actually pay for it. Or maybe just turned it off half way. They never tell you how many minutes count as a view. The final 200k saying, it was ok especially since I did not pay for it.