• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

MCU's THE ETERNALS (11/6/20)
8 8

3,079 posts in this topic

On 1/19/2022 at 9:46 PM, William-James88 said:

Thanks, that scene still didn't feel like the lighting we were seeing was due to the in universe lighting. And if it was, I don't think it looked good. I have no clue when they actually shot it, but it really looked like just a filter, and there was no change in the light.

Chloe Zhao is known for, in the few films she's made, shooting with natural light. There are some articles and interviews that state that a lot of Eternals was indeed shot with natural lighting at real locations per Zhao's directorial wishes, though I'm not sure how much natural lighting was used in the Druig jungle community scene.

On 1/19/2022 at 9:58 PM, @therealsilvermane said:

Chloe Zhao is known for, in the few films she's made, shooting with natural light. There are some articles and interviews that state that a lot of Eternals was indeed shot with natural lighting at real locations per Zhao's directorial wishes, though I'm not sure how much natural lighting was used in the Druig jungle community scene.

Interesting. I imagine it would be real tough to do an action scene at that specific moment in the day due to how little time you have of that type of light and how time intensive those scenes tend to be.

Thanks for the insight!

On 1/19/2022 at 8:52 PM, Mecha_Fantastic said:

We walked out of Lee's Hulk. Hulk dogs? Yeah, we're outta here. 

Gamma dogs are a thing in the comics.

2068189734_dogshulk.jpg.1d23ae3257836552c2f5768efec3e9c3.jpgDogs_of_War_(Gamma_Mutates)_(Earth-616)_from_Incredible_Hulk_Vol_2_14_001.webp.d21377e88da4755164ed4a9aeb0bce09.webp

Thematically, the Hulk dogs represented a kind of evolution of experimental Hulks throughout the movie. You saw a hulk frog, then a hulk rat, then hulk dogs,  Bruce's human Hulk, and then David Banner's Hulk god at the end.

On 1/19/2022 at 7:05 PM, @therealsilvermane said:

2068189734_dogshulk.jpg.1d23ae3257836552c2f5768efec3e9c3.jpgDogs_of_War_(Gamma_Mutates)_(Earth-616)_from_Incredible_Hulk_Vol_2_14_001.webp.d21377e88da4755164ed4a9aeb0bce09.webp

Thematically, the Hulk dogs represented a kind of evolution of experimental Hulks throughout the movie. You saw a hulk frog, then a hulk rat, then hulk dogs,  Bruce's human Hulk, and then David Banner's Hulk god at the end.

they didnt 'represent', they were no metaphor of some kind-they were hulk dogs.  Just just like the Terminator didnt 'represent' a robot-he was a robot.

On 1/19/2022 at 7:21 PM, paperheart said:

was so awful it's the only scene that I remember

Goofy.

Never in my wildest dreams would I have thought someone considered a brilliant part of film making.

On 1/19/2022 at 9:46 PM, @therealsilvermane said:

I don't expect you to believe anything I say at this point and to keep contrasting everything I say. The lengthy Hulk post above complete with video isn't just for you, it's also for myself and to just put it out there.

If you're honest about trying to understand film, try doing reading more about visual metaphors in film. I have a feeling you think you know everything, though.

And sometimes movies are just movies and scenes are just scenes.  A smart film maker realizes, who they are making the film for and why those people are going to see the movie.  Even if some of that audience appreciates and understands  "cinema" that is not why they are going to a super hero film (for the most part).  The are going for: escapism, fun, to see things blowing up, big action sequences, the stories of their childhood come to life, etc.  The vast majority are not going for metaphor, even if they like those movies also.  People like the Russo brothers know that. Maybe it does reflect poorly on the people going to see superhero movies, but maybe that is why directors like Lee and Zhao have produced two of the lowest rated and least liked MCU films.  They do not understand this audience and this type of movie, and what they do does not always translate well for this type of film, and the people who see them.

On 1/20/2022 at 1:05 PM, @therealsilvermane said:

Just because they're from the comics doesn't make them a good idea. Actual Irish leprechauns have appeared in Uncanny X-Men, that sure doesn't mean they'd be a good idea for film. 

Edited by Mecha_Fantastic

On 1/19/2022 at 7:27 PM, Mecha_Fantastic said:

Just because they're from the comics doesn't make them a good idea. Actual Irish leprechauns have appeared in Uncanny X-Men, that sure doesn't mean they'd be a good idea for film. 

Bat-Mite.

On 1/19/2022 at 9:53 PM, kav said:

well. I dont think screenplay books are stupid, for one thing-so when I read about visual metaphors I didnt roll my eyes.
If Banner had got DNA from a cockroach, would cockroaches be a metaphor for DNA?  the answer is no.
Someone here thinks they know everything-and it seems to be the guy who thinks screenplay books are stupid.

Also try to learn to not take everything literally.

When I said "stupid screenplay books", that was just a use of an expression for effect. I didn't mean to say screenplay books are actually stupid. Some are quite good. Some are actually stupid.

When I said Christopher Nolan could have initially pitched to WB that he wants Batman Begins to be about fear, that was just a theoretical made-up scenario to drive home the point that the theme of the movie is fear. I didn't mean to say that that's actually how Nolan's initial Batman pitch went down.

On 1/19/2022 at 7:41 PM, @therealsilvermane said:

When I said "stupid screenplay books", that was just a use of an expression for effect. I didn't mean to say screenplay books are actually stupid. Some are quite good. Some are actually stupid.

When I said Christopher Nolan could have initially pitched to WB that he wants Batman Begins to be about fear, that was just a theoretical made-up scenario to drive home the point that the theme of the movie is fear. I didn't mean to say that that's actually how Nolan's initial Batman pitch went down.

Nice backpedal.

On 1/19/2022 at 10:27 PM, Mecha_Fantastic said:

Irish leprechauns in an X-Men movie do not equal to gamma irradiated monster dogs in a Hulk movie. Not comparable at all.

On 1/19/2022 at 7:43 PM, @therealsilvermane said:

Irish leprechauns in an X-Men movie do not equal to gamma irradiated monster dogs in a Hulk movie. Not comparable at all.

some would disagree.

On 1/19/2022 at 10:41 PM, @therealsilvermane said:

Telling someone to learn is extremely condescending. You are basically saying anyone else's viewpoint is wrong, and they need to listen and agree with you, because ultimately you have the only correct viewpoint and only you truly understand the subject . 

On 1/19/2022 at 7:47 PM, drotto said:

Telling someone to learn is extremely condescending. You are basically saying anyone else's viewpoint is wrong, and they need to listen and agree with you, because ultimately you have the only correct viewpoint and only you truly understand the subject . 

bingo.  I've heard that from flat earthers and others.