• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

MCU's THE ETERNALS (11/6/20)
8 8

3,079 posts in this topic

On 1/17/2022 at 8:30 PM, Muno42 said:

Too many changes from the source material. The Deviants represent the worst in our potential and the Eternals represent the best. Not robots and demon-dogs. Ikaris is a mindless lackey that can't take it and flies into the sun?

Marvel changes and morphs most everything from its comic book source before bringing it to the screen. I mean, you're kinda right about the Deviants and the Eternals, but in the comics, there are some Deviants who turn out good (like Kro [the comic book version], Ransak, and Karkas), and there are some that are bad (like Druig). It's not really a black and white, good and evil dichotomy. The Eternals being synthetic constructions of the Celestials was a bit of a twist from the comics, but it certainly explains how they never age or evolve over thousands of years, and is a nice contrast to actual humans adding to subtextual plotline that the Eternals are among humanity yet apart. I thought seeing the Deviants kind of evolve through the movie into humanoid form was a nice subtle add to the idea of evolution in the film. And Ikaris wasn't a mindless lackey. In fact, he was the only one who thought differently from the other Eternals by holding on to his reason for being created. In one way he was a hero who helped save Earth and its inhabitants at the end, but he was also responsible for the death of a newborn Celestial which meant billions more lives will never come into existence. Perhaps that was too much for him to take and he makes Sprite's made-up story about him come true. Besides, there's room for only one superman on Earth and that spot is taken by Captain Marvel.

On 1/17/2022 at 1:55 PM, A.Romeo said:

Anyone who craps all over this movie it’s evident you have been spoiled by marvel movies over the years.  It seems to be the majority unfortunately.  

Here, anyway. Remember, 78% of users on Rotten Tomatoes liked Eternals and we all know RT is the final ultimate judgement on a movie's worth.

On 1/18/2022 at 11:44 AM, A.Romeo said:

Would it have been better as a mini series to develop characters more, probably.

I hear this a lot, that Eternals should have been a Disney+ series. I kinda disagree with that, both because of the nature of the Eternals' story and the nature of Marvel's Disney+ shows so far. The effects work required to do the Celestials and the epic historic and cosmic nature of the Eternals story in "live action" couldn't be done justice on Disney+, at least from what I've seen of the shows so far. As for character development, the Eternals together are kind of a big deal in the Marvel Comics but individually, the only stars in the comics are Sersi and Ikaris. Even then, these characters are thousands of years old, what more are we supposed to learn about them with an additional hour or so in a Disney+ limited series? I felt there was enough in the movie to give us insight into who most of the Eternals were and their relationship to humans. I also don't know if such a big global cast would have agreed to a TV show, as most of them are film actors. Of course, now we know Disney+ MCU shows aren't just regular TV shows. And speaking of Marvel's Disney+ shows, so far, they seem to have the purpose of bridging the stories of older Avengers with those of new ones, at the same time, picking up the pieces of Avengers Endgame while setting up new stories. Eternals is almost a self-enclosed story with no connection to previous Avengers or the Endgame movie. I know some folks weren't satisfied with the Eternals movie, but I'm absolutely happy with it.

Edited by @therealsilvermane

On 1/19/2022 at 9:51 AM, @therealsilvermane said:

Ang Lee's Hulk is an unsung masterpiece of super-hero cinema.

It's unsung because it is awful.  I went to it with a friend who turned to me in the middle of it and said, "If we leave now, we can salvage an hour that we will always regret if we stay."  This was right in the middle of a scene of them going down in an elevator that went on and on so long that we started laughing about it.  "We get it.  It is really, really deep."

We stayed, and I regret it.

On 1/19/2022 at 11:08 AM, Hamlet said:

It's unsung because it is awful.  I went to it with a friend who turned to me in the middle of it and said, "If we leave now, we can salvage an hour that we will always regret if we stay."  This was right in the middle of a scene of them going down in an elevator that went on and on so long that we started laughing about it.  "We get it.  It is really, really deep."

We stayed, and I regret it.

Different strokes for different folks. For me, as somebody who likes weird independent movies, Ang Lee's movie was a display of cinema technique as art, visual metaphors, and yeah, trying to do something honestly deep with Marvel's dumbest super-hero/smartest scientist. The theme of Hulk, as is the theme of every Ang Lee movie, is freedom from repression. This idea is not only essential to the DNA of the Hulk and David Banner's story, but we see it visualized cinematically, such as the constant images of jellyfish and mushroom clouds, visual metaphors for genetics and nuclear power, the keys to unleashing humanity from its shell, which is David Banner's ultimate goal as the villain. At the same time, it was so 60's Tales to Astonish and Herbe Trimpe early 70's old school Hulk with our hero taking on the U.S. Army in the desert that it made my inner-kid geek out.

Ok, so I have tried to watch this film 3 times now.  I'll start it, watch about 10 to 15 minutes and turn it off.  Come back a few hours later and try again, nothing.  I've watched about 40ish minutes over the span of two days and I give up.  It is horrible.  Maybe it gets better, maybe it is the best thing since sliced bread but I'll never find out because the first 30 to 40 minutes is so mind numbing boring/lame that I refuse to waste anymore of my time on this film.  

On 1/19/2022 at 12:34 PM, media_junkie said:

Ok, so I have tried to watch this film 3 times now.  I'll start it, watch about 10 to 15 minutes and turn it off.  Come back a few hours later and try again, nothing.  I've watched about 40ish minutes over the span of two days and I give up.  It is horrible.  Maybe it gets better, maybe it is the best thing since sliced bread but I'll never find out because the first 30 to 40 minutes is so mind numbing boring/lame that I refuse to waste anymore of my time on this film.  

On 1/19/2022 at 12:39 PM, theCapraAegagrus said:

Only marginally. As many have said; The worst film in the MCU to date.

'Universally loved and celebrated' I believe were the terms used.

flushed_money.gif.ae72ee9f3b64ba376824ef629918a1a4.gif

On 1/19/2022 at 8:19 AM, @therealsilvermane said:

Different strokes for different folks. For me, as somebody who likes weird independent movies, Ang Lee's movie was a display of cinema technique as art, visual metaphors, and yeah, trying to do something honestly deep with Marvel's dumbest super-hero/smartest scientist. The theme of Hulk, as is the theme of every Ang Lee movie, is freedom from repression. This idea is not only essential to the DNA of the Hulk and David Banner's story, but we see it visualized cinematically, such as the constant images of jellyfish and mushroom clouds, visual metaphors for genetics and nuclear power, the keys to unleashing humanity from its shell, which is David Banner's ultimate goal as the villain. At the same time, it was so 60's Tales to Astonish and Herbe Trimpe early 70's old school Hulk with our hero taking on the U.S. Army in the desert that it made my inner-kid geek out.

Movies are like a rorschach test for you-you see stuff in em and believe it was intentional for the reasons you see.  Claim you know other's intentions and stuff like christopher nolan's pitch meetings and the eternal director's reading habits.  This could be why you enjoy movies that are frankly weak scriptwise.  Strong scripts like no way home you seem to not like because there's no room to add your own reality to them.

Jellyfish means DNA which means unleashing humanity (its always 'humanity'!) from its shell.  (shrug)

Finally saw Eternals.

I was very pleased to see that Pink Floyd exists in the MCU. 

Then I was very pleased to see that the Game of Thrones guy met the voice of Blade. 

My takeaway is that the earth now has a marble conjoined twin sticking out of it. 

Side note… anyone who has ever read my review of any marvel movie knows I don’t care about the “source” material for some of these lesser known adaptations.  Prior to 2018 if you asked me what an eternal was or who published it I would have drawn a blank.  

After this movie I am confused to why issue one of this series has not dropped substantially in price back to the $10 bin.  

On 1/19/2022 at 12:47 PM, Buzzetta said:

Side note… anyone who has ever read my review of any marvel movie knows I don’t care about the “source” material for some of these lesser known adaptations.  Prior to 2018 if you asked me what an eternal was or who published it I would have drawn a blank.  

After this movie I am confused to why issue one of this series has not dropped substantially in price back to the $10 bin.  

I'm wondering why people arent mailing their copies back to Marvel for a refund.