• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

MCU's THE ETERNALS (11/6/20)
8 8

3,079 posts in this topic

On 1/17/2022 at 1:55 PM, A.Romeo said:

Anyone who craps all over this movie it’s evident you have been spoiled by marvel movies over the years.  It seems to be the majority unfortunately.  

Well, when you make good movies consistently it makes sense that people would be bothered by trash being produced.

On 1/17/2022 at 10:55 AM, A.Romeo said:

Anyone who craps all over this movie it’s evident you have been spoiled by marvel movies over the years.  It seems to be the majority unfortunately.  

Yes we have been spoiled by mostly good movies.  And thats a good thing.  Lowering your expectations not so good.

Caught this on Disney+. Too long. Too many changes from the source material. The Deviants represent the worst in our potential and the Eternals represent the best. Not robots and demon-dogs. Ikaris is a mindless lackey that can't take it and flies into the sun? These are indeed fourth tier characters, hardly worthy of movie treatment (maybe use one in an ensemble ala GOTG). The ending was more setup than a proper story ending. Not completely terrible, but proof that not everything needs the MCU treatment.

On 1/16/2022 at 8:33 AM, @therealsilvermane said:

And oh look, referencing the Kirby panels above, Makarri states "Eternals are as varied as humans." Looks like Chloe Zhao took Mr. Kirby at his word.

Yeah she read all the books and chose that one line to totally define the movie while ignoring most everything else.  First we get your claim about christopher Nolan's statement in a pitch meeting now this.   I dont think it's wise to put words in people's mouths you have never met.  

Edited by kav

On 1/17/2022 at 3:05 PM, kav said:

Yes we have been spoiled by mostly good movies.  And thats a good thing.  Lowering your expectations not so good.

I haven’t lowered my expectations I truly liked the movie.  I’m excited to see how this movie is going to intertwine with the MCU going forward.  

On 1/17/2022 at 7:35 PM, A.Romeo said:

I haven’t lowered my expectations I truly liked the movie.  I’m excited to see how this movie is going to intertwine with the MCU going forward.  

fair enough.  I have no problem with that-just when someone claims it is 'true cinema', genius, and gushes as if it was the greatest masterpiece since gone with the wind.  

On 1/18/2022 at 11:49 AM, kav said:

Yeah she read all the books and chose that one line to totally define the movie while ignoring most everything else.  First we get your claim about christopher Nolan's statement in a pitch meeting now this.   I dont think it's wise to put words in people's mouths you have never met.  

I'm actually wondering if he might have been thread-banned, Kav. It's a distinct possibility. Just a feeling. 

On 1/17/2022 at 9:54 PM, Mecha_Fantastic said:

I'm actually wondering if he might have been thread-banned, Kav. It's a distinct possibility. Just a feeling. 

omg you are most probably correct!  Columbo level detective work!

It's more than okay when other people like movies that I dislike. The Incredible Hulk is another MCU example. I'm only bothered by the fact that I am being pressured to like certain movies by people worshiping a brand rather than being impartial or accepting of different perceptions. The general perception is that this movie is bad, and I agree with that. It could be the streaming quality, but the VFX aren't as good as some claim; They were very flawed at parts. The story contradicts itself and is not compelling. While certain plots can enable an ensemble cast to 'work', this movie fails to flesh-out characters and/or have charismatic character moments. There just isn't much that I can find objectively or subjectively "good".

I will say that the scenes involving Celestials appeared very polished, VFX-wise.

On 1/17/2022 at 10:37 PM, kav said:

fair enough.  I have no problem with that-just when someone claims it is 'true cinema', genius, and gushes as if it was the greatest masterpiece since gone with the wind.  

I haven’t seen anyone claiming it was one of the greatest cinema films of all time lol? I’m just saying I don’t understand the absolute hate it gets.  I agree with some of the flaws people have stated though.  Would it have been better as a mini series to develop characters more, probably.  

Bland, boring, way too many themes and characters tossed in for a film. Thought I was watching the Justice League in new costumes. The humor was less than flat; I didn't laugh until over an hour into the movie (which is fine if there isn't intended to be much humor but there were plenty of obvious attempts in the first hour).

Incredibly uneven tone throughout, and wtf they spend half the movie instantly jumping from continent to continent assembling the avengers...I mean the Justice League...! I mean the Eternals.

Badly miscast and poorly acted too often (the actors cast are talented, mostly, but here they seemed to be mailing it in at times), hardly any chemistry between any of the characters. Any of them.

It's just not good. The final battle sequence is cool looking enough, even if it makes no sense at all.

Had low expectations going in and boy did I set them too high :(

I’ve made it through the first hour of this movie in two sittings and I’m really not sure I’m going to finish it at this point.  It is a really bad movie, IMO.  It is incredibly slow, completely bogged down in tedious exposition about characters and backstory that just aren’t interesting to me.  I would say at this point that it is the worst of the MCU movies.  It’s first Hulk movie bad.  Black Widow and Shang-Chi weren’t my favorites but they were a lot better than this.

I’m trying to decide if I’m going to force myself to finish this or just bail completely.

On 1/18/2022 at 12:54 AM, Mecha_Fantastic said:

You see, I celebrate MLK's birthday not only by remembering how Dr. King helped "wake up" America and live the dream, but also by coexisting with others in peace at least for a day which would preclude me from posting here.