• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

MCU's THE ETERNALS (11/6/20)
8 8

3,079 posts in this topic

6 minutes ago, Angel of Death said:

"The Eternal Thanos threatens half of all life. Should we reconsider our policy?"

"No. We can talk about it later."

Once again, we have zero information on this from the trailer or the timeline of the movie. I don't judge a movies potential story beats by a trailer's trailer (fine to judge visuals and overall tone, as that is a choice made to sell the movie) 

We know from one run of Eternals they didn't have their memories, and thought they were human, but also it is just as simple to say they were at the battle with Thanos amongst that LEGION of characters teleported in (maybe not all of them, and they certainly didn't need to be all chummy with the rest of the Avengers to know what job needed to be done. If Howard the Duck managed to be there without having any big scenes then I'm sure a bunch of human looking Eternals could have been somewhere too)

3 minutes ago, Sauce Dog said:

We know from one run of Eternals they didn't have their memories, and thought they were human, but also it is just as simple to say they were at the battle with Thanos amongst that LEGION of characters teleported in (maybe not all of them, and they certainly didn't need to be all chummy with the rest of the Avengers to know what job needed to be done. If Howard the Duck managed to be there without having any big scenes then I'm sure a bunch of human looking Eternals could have been somewhere too)

Lazy retcons are no good, either.

14 minutes ago, Angel of Death said:

Lazy retcons are no good, either.

Of course, because they are lazy and poorly written, but that doesn't have to be the case here (again, this isn't something we can judge from this trailer at this point and it is pretty much pointless speculation) :D 

5 minutes ago, Sauce Dog said:

Of course, because they are lazy and poorly written, but that doesn't have to be the case here (again, this isn't something we can judge from this trailer at this point and it is pretty much pointless speculation) :D 

Let's get to the nitty-gritty: Are you impressed by this trailer?

I haven't read many issues of the Eternals so someone please pipe up if they know--are we sure the Eternals don't care more about the viability of the species the Celestials seeded around the galaxy than about individuals?  Thanos didn't threaten the existence of any form of life in general aside from any that was close to extinction anyway, just half of the individuals.  It's possible the Eternals had no real issue with what he was doing.

I've read the short What If origin story of the Eternals, Deviants, and mutants and how they were all derived from life on any given planet (such as humanity on Earth), but I still don't know what motivates the Eternals or exactly what their goals are.

Edited by fantastic_four

19 minutes ago, Angel of Death said:

Nope, but trailers are always hit-or-miss depending on the editor and footage provided to them.

This trailer was more of a cast-trailer, so it didn't give us major story elements and rather focused on showcasing the talent onscreen (which is fine, but not something to get me excited. I'm still excited about the potential of this movies story through) and of course the "visuals". 

While it hints at us getting some fresh cinematography and decent visuals by Chloé Zhao, all excitement for such eye candy quickly dissipated for me as soon as it was clear they were once again using the standardized color grading process MCU loves so much (I really wish they would get back to shooting entirely on film as opposed to the ARRI Alexa / RED systems they use 99% of the time. Yes, Zhao was rumoured to have shot some of Eternals on 16mm, but nothing in the trailer is jumping out to me being that footage due to the awful levels and grading). However, this once again could be an issue with the trailers mix (crossing my fingers but not holding out hope due to all the past evidence of it not being the case) :D

19 hours ago, Muno42 said:

I look forward to the fancy writing to explain the Eternal's lack of effort even when there was a war waged at Avengers compound with Thanos' entire army.

Probably the same reason Fury never pushed the Batbutton to summon Brie Marvel during the battle of New York when they were minutes away from nuking the whole city. 

34 minutes ago, jcjames said:

Probably the same reason Fury never pushed the Batbutton to summon Brie Marvel during the battle of New York when they were minutes away from nuking the whole city. 

I feel like that one wasn't bad. The nuke would have likely destroyed all of the Chitauri.

14 hours ago, Angel of Death said:

The director seems to be very talented with long shots and establishing shots, I will give her that.  She is talented.  I am worried from this trailer that she not right for this type of film. Also most trailers (good or bad) give you some type of hook, that oh wow moment of action, drama, or some sort of potential reveal.  For me this lacked any such beat. Again, that could be a failure of whoever cut the trailer, and this is not representative of the actual movie.

4 hours ago, drotto said:

The director seems to be very talented with long shots and establishing shots, I will give her that.  She is talented.  I am worried from this trailer that she not right for this type of film. Also most trailers (good or bad) give you some type of hook, that oh wow moment of action, drama, or some sort of potential reveal.  For me this lacked any such beat. Again, that could be a failure of whoever cut the trailer, and this is not representative of the actual movie.

Agreed, it was lacking a certain something to make me feel interested in this new group of characters. Although I'm sure Marvel know that, probably quietly confident in their own massive success that they feel they can tease this one out over the next few months.

As long as they put out a good hook at some point to give us the 'wow' moment I'll certainly give it a watch.

5 hours ago, drotto said:

Do you mean by panning left/right or zooming in/out for almost every shot (that we've seen)?

3 hours ago, Angel of Death said:

Do you mean by panning left/right or zooming in/out for almost every shot (that we've seen)?

I understand 100%.  They have always said it is easy to give the award for best director to the film that uses wide sweeping shots of landscapes and natural surroundings, because they are inherently beautiful and easy to film.  The best director is the one that can take a dull, small, indoor space and make it interesting that deserves the award.

55 minutes ago, drotto said:

I understand 100%.  They have always said it is easy to give the award for best director to the film that uses wide sweeping shots of landscapes and natural surroundings, because they are inherently beautiful and easy to film.  The best director is the one that can take a dull, small, indoor space and make it interesting that deserves the award.

Frances McDormand directed herself #takebacktheOscar

On 5/26/2021 at 7:22 AM, Angel of Death said:

Are you impressed by this trailer?

I guess I am the other half who loved the Eternals trailer. 'The End of the World' theme song lyrics in English and Chinese that may have impacted director Chloe Zhao(sp?).

13 hours ago, Angel of Death said:
18 hours ago, drotto said:

Those are either dolly shots or steadicam shots you're talking about in the trailer, where the camera moves in space. With panning shots or zoom shots, the camera is in a fixed location and the lens does all the work.

In the case of the shots in the Eternals trailer, the moving camera adds energy to the scenes where the characters stand still and also explores the space around them as if we are discovering this space as said characters do. It's evident from Chloe Zhao's previous films The Rider and Nomadland that she likes space and likes to explore it with her camera. For a film about characters that are living in and discovering an entire planet and its people, Chloe Zhao, when considering her past films, seems to have been the perfect choice for the way Marvel has agreed to approach the Eternals' story.