• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

MCU's THE ETERNALS (11/6/20)
8 8

3,079 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Angel of Death said:

How often do your lips get chapped...?

I always have chapstick at the ready but not sure what that has to do with anything here. I do seem to get sore thumbs a lot from all the typing I do from fact-checking your posts. As Uncle Sam says, do better.

Just now, @therealsilvermane said:

I always have chapstick at the ready but not sure what that has to do with anything here. I do seem to get sore thumbs a lot from all the typing I do from fact-checking your posts. As Uncle Sam says, do better.

Of course not... You haven't fact-checked a single post. It would make complete sense if you worked for Facebook.

18 minutes ago, Gatsby77 said:

Umm...yes.

Do you remember the pre-release buzz once the trailer came out? It was insane.

Snakes on a Plane is one of the best case studies in internet and media virality not translating to a good (or financially successful) movie.

The trailer sold the film - to the extent that it instantly went viral, late night talk show hosts made near-nightly jokes about it, they ordered re-shoots to  better match fan expectations (i.e., changing it to Rated R & adding a few more Samuel L. Jackson "m-f-kers"), etc.

And yet, the film grossed only $15 million opening weekend.

39 minutes ago, Angel of Death said:

Snakes on a Plane had a "superb" trailer? lol

Collider had an interesting article on this topic what took place with Snakes On A Plane.

How 'Snakes on a Plane' Proves Hollywood Should Listen to Their Talent, Not the Internet

When a pocket of the Internet learned that Samuel L. Jackson was starring in a movie called Snakes on a Plane it demanded that the fiery actor would declare—with furious anger—that it wanted “these mother :censored: snakes off this mother :censored: plane.” That line, of course, came from a “fan-made” trailer for the film after it had already been shot, but had not been released. Hollywood was enamored with this loud “fan base” that grew out of both mocking and embracing such a straightforward title that left little to the imagination. New Line that it could make a hit by giving the vocal section of the Internet what it wanted: profanity and bombast. But to do that it needed to add scenes—but it also previously ignored that what the Internet wanted is the same thing its star pleaded for and couldn’t get them to do.

As the film hits the elevation of a 10-year anniversary today—and as Jackson now says “:censored: ” to anyone who criticizes it—we look back at what Planes legacy should become: Hollywood, please don’t listen to the Internet.

It's very relevant to the topic of the DCEU and WB. The 'Shouty People' as Neil Gaiman refers to them demanded the studio immediately switch gears and mirror the MCU. This led to so much disruption in the original release plan films are still being added and deleted because it can't sort out its direction properly. The fun of appeasing the loudest in the social media room.

:facepalm:

But from the article with real events of Snakes On A Plane, it was not the trailers sold a bad bill of goods. It was the reactions to the trailers that led to the studio rushing in to make modifications as a response to what they were seeing from social media as 'positive reactions'.

Edited by Bosco685

4 hours ago, Gatsby77 said:

This.

Plus - it ignores that *superb* trailers can translate into garbage movies, and/or mediocre-to-poor box officer performance.

Examples off the top of my head include:

• Suicide Squad
  • Watchmen
  • Matrix Reloaded
  • Spider-Man 3
  • Snakes on a Plane

And while I think it was a *great* film, I'm willing to bet many on this site would say the same about Iron Man 3 - that the trailer was far better than the finished product.

I remember the first Fantastic Four reboot trailer being pretty darn good and I think we all know what happened there...

Edited by sagekilz

Eternals was a teaser trailer as others have mentioned. I think this one is going to surprise a lot of people. No big reveals in the teaser and nothing to make people that are not familiar with the characters want to see it (Yet). When the full trailer drops, I think opinions will change for many but time will tell. I for one, can't wait to finally see it. 

On 5/28/2021 at 7:26 AM, Gatsby77 said:

And while I think it was a *great* film, I'm willing to bet many on this site would say the same about Iron Man 3 - that the trailer was far better than the finished product.

Relevant...

hm

Maybe they are on to something

(:

On 5/28/2021 at 10:38 PM, Timeless icons said:

Eternals was a teaser trailer as others have mentioned. I think this one is going to surprise a lot of people. No big reveals in the teaser and nothing to make people that are not familiar with the characters want to see it (Yet). When the full trailer drops, I think opinions will change for many but time will tell. I for one, can't wait to finally see it. 

When the "teaser" isn't interesting, it reduces the audience for your "First Official Trailer".

58 minutes ago, Angel of Death said:

When the "teaser" isn't interesting, it reduces the audience for your "First Official Trailer".

53 minutes ago, TupennyConan said:

It was bad. 

First, it was a fine teaser trailer. I mean, how was it bad?

Second, Marvel Studios still has two MCU theatrical films and a couple Disney+ MCU shows to get us really excited about before the real Eternals marketing campaign kicks in. I imagine in a couple weeks we'll start seeing Black Widow commercials all over the place. After that, we'll start seeing more Shang Chi commercials and marketing for that film. The official marketing for Eternals really kicks in when we start seeing trailers at the movie theaters and on regular TV.

I get it. Y'all want to see a Celestial in action or more kung fu action. Smart marketing says don't unload all your tricks on the audience at once when they're just going to forget about it anyway as we're six months away from an Eternals release and the Studio still needs to gin up global audience enthusiasm for Black Widow and Shang Chi first. I know y'all disagree with me but you probably don't understand marketing, either. Marvel didn't even need to release an Eternals trailer yet. But it was smart to release something that reminds folks who search this stuff out on the internet that it's a movie by Oscar winner Chloe Zhao movie and that it's going to look like her movie (if you saw Nomadland). It's also a nice gift to us hardcore fans who've been dying to see at least something about this movie and give us some idea who these characters are. We got it, and now Marvel can go back to focusing on Black Widow and Shang Chi. While I'm sure we'll continue to get a few Eternals sprinkles here and there through the summer, the real marketing for Eternals won't happen until after Shang Chi releases this fall.

1 minute ago, @therealsilvermane said:

First, it was a fine teaser trailer. I mean, how was it bad?

Second, Marvel Studios still has two MCU theatrical films and a couple Disney+ MCU shows to get us really excited about before the real Eternals marketing campaign kicks in. I imagine in a couple weeks we'll start seeing Black Widow commercials all over the place. After that, we'll start seeing more Shang Chi commercials and marketing for that film. The official marketing for Eternals really kicks in when we start seeing trailers at the movie theaters and on regular TV.

I get it. Y'all want to see a Celestial in action or more kung fu action. Smart marketing says don't unload all your tricks on the audience at once when they're just going to forget about it anyway as we're six months away from an Eternals release and the Studio still needs to gin up global audience enthusiasm for Black Widow and Shang Chi first. I know y'all disagree with me but you probably don't understand marketing, either. Marvel didn't even need to release an Eternals trailer yet. But it was smart to release something that reminds folks who search this stuff out on the internet that it's a movie by Oscar winner Chloe Zhao movie and that it's going to look like her movie (if you saw Nomadland). It's also a nice gift to us hardcore fans who've been dying to see at least something about this movie and give us some idea who these characters are. We got it, and now Marvel can go back to focusing on Black Widow and Shang Chi. While I'm sure we'll continue to get a few Eternals sprinkles here and there through the summer, the real marketing for Eternals won't happen until after Shang Chi releases this fall.

Is this a rhetorical question?

Your grandstanding for the MCU is quite annoying.

10 minutes ago, Angel of Death said:

Is this a rhetorical question?

Your grandstanding for the MCU is quite annoying.

I could post something that literally says "I liked this MCU movie for better or worse" and you'd reply "Your grandstanding for the MCU is quite annoying." It seems to be your automatic response to everything I post in addition to laugh emojis.

Grandstanding aside, my post was simply the other side of the coin of some on the internet who think the Eternals teaser wasn't exciting enough or "wow factor" enough for them. Again, it would be very dumb of Marvel to release an Eternals trailer that shows Celestials in all their glory and crazy action and blows us all away when Marvel ultimately doesn't want to distract from the upcoming Loki show, the Black Widow film, or the Shang Chi film.

Because Marvel has so many projects in release every year, they have to be conscious how each MCU project and its marketing competes with other MCU projects and their marketing.

Eagerly awaiting laugh emoji now...

1 minute ago, @therealsilvermane said:

I could post something that literally says "I liked this MCU movie for better or worse" and you'd reply "Your grandstanding for the MCU is quite annoying."...

Grandstanding aside, my post was simply the other side of the coin of some on the internet who think the Eternals teaser wasn't exciting enough or "wow factor" enough for them. Again, it would be very dumb of Marvel to release an Eternals trailer that shows Celestials in all their glory and crazy action and blows us all away when Marvel ultimately doesn't want to distract from the upcoming Loki show, the Black Widow film, or the Shang Chi film.

Because Marvel has so many projects in release every year, they have to be conscious how each MCU project and its marketing competes with other MCU projects and their marketing...

No, I wouldn't.

You don't need to defend every single MCU movie from every single post. Why do you feel the need to involve 'the rest of the internet' in this sub-forum? Nobody cares what the rest of the internet thinks. I don't care about toxic fans or franchise simps that don't frequent here.

If they must "compete" with their own projects, then they're doing it wrong (which I think that they are, now).

13 minutes ago, Angel of Death said:

No, I wouldn't.

You don't need to defend every single MCU movie from every single post. Why do you feel the need to involve 'the rest of the internet' in this sub-forum? Nobody cares what the rest of the internet thinks. I don't care about toxic fans or franchise simps that don't frequent here.

If they must "compete" with their own projects, then they're doing it wrong (which I think that they are, now).

Maybe "compete" is a wrong word. While I'm not on the Marvel marketing team, it makes sense that they be aware of how each trailer for every MCU project plays off each other and how those trailers affect audiences when you regularly release 3 of 4 films a year that all interconnect. You don't want to release an Eternals trailer that uses all the tricks in the bag to excite audiences when you want to save that excitement for later in the year and when you're still trying to get audiences excited for the two other MCU films that are being released before it.

21 minutes ago, Angel of Death said:

You don't need to defend every single MCU movie from every single post. Why do you feel the need to involve 'the rest of the internet' in this sub-forum?

My post was also another side of the argument to folks in this thread who didn't like the trailer or maybe thought it wasn't exciting enough. I think it was an appropriate trailer given its release in relation to when Eternals is actually being released and in consideration of other MCU projects still being released before it. And I liked the trailer. It was cool.

3 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

...You don't want to release an Eternals trailer that uses all the tricks in the bag to excite audiences when you want to save that excitement for later in the year and when you're still trying to get audiences excited for the two other MCU films that are being released before it.

You do want to release a trailer that attracts audiences. This "teaser" didn't really accomplish that. When was the last time that Marvel Studios released a dud trailer?

My post was also another side of the argument to folks in this thread who didn't like the trailer or maybe thought it wasn't exciting enough. I think it was an appropriate trailer given its release in relation to when Eternals is actually being released and in consideration of other MCU projects still being released before it. And I liked the trailer. It was cool.

Okay. They don't. Why do you feel the need to argue about it?

5 minutes ago, Angel of Death said:

You do want to release a trailer that attracts audiences. This "teaser" didn't really accomplish that. When was the last time that Marvel Studios released a dud trailer?

"Dud trailer" is a subjective. You didn't like it but a lot of other folks did. The Eternals trailer got 77 million views in its first 24 hours. People who know nothing about the Eternals are now talking about the movie or asking more questions about it. It did its job. It got people a little excited about characters that nobody knows anything about. Smart marketing now says to focus on Loki and Black Widow now as that's where immediate audience attention needs to go now.

And let's not forget about the built-in "audience attraction" that any theatrical movie or Disney+ show with Marvel Studios in front of it has. Marvel could probably literally not release any trailers for Eternals at all and people will still go see it.

"Dud trailer" is a subjective. You didn't like it but a lot of other folks did. The Eternals trailer got 77 million views in its first 24 hours. People who know nothing about the Eternals are now talking about the movie or asking more questions about it. It did its job. It got people a little excited about characters that nobody knows anything about. Smart marketing now says to focus on Loki and Black Widow now as that's where immediate audience attention needs to go now.

And let's not forget about the built-in "audience attraction" that any theatrical movie or Disney+ show with Marvel Studios in front of it has. Marvel could probably literally not release any trailers for Eternals at all and people will still go see it.

In the last decade I have never seen a trailer generate less buzz than The Eternals' teaser. So, no, it's not a "subjective" analysis. The 2nd bold is simply not true.

Sure, there's an army of Marvel shills. Better to not release a trailer than to release a boring one. 2c