• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

MCU's THE ETERNALS (11/6/20)
8 8

3,079 posts in this topic

3 minutes ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

For myself personally after seeing the Black Panther, Captain Marvel, Avengers Infinity War, Avengers Endgame, and Spider Man Far From Home I want more. lol.

To me the Marvel movies seem to be getting better.

I agree.

57 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

As usual - wrong again.

As I said before, you must not have paid much attention to the MCU (despite your obvious bias), Thanos and the Infinity Stones were the only draw for the casual fan. They had to stick around to see how the season ended.

You just admitted that the villains suck and stories are "okay", so again... That concedes that the Infinity Saga was the only overarching draw for anyone to see movies for titles and characters they knew nothing about. Thanks for that one.

Nobody has heard of The Eternals before, they're not characters that are going to draw empathy, and that's why this movie is almost assuredly not going to be close to a billion.

I think if you were talking about a television series / streaming show, you might be right, but the movies are something different. Many of them told their own story and were only tangentially related to the Infinity Saga via an mid/end credit cut scene, of which a majority of the movie watching public probably missed because they walked out when the credits started to roll. Most people didn't go see Thor:Ragnarok, Black Panther and Captain Marvel becuase of their connection to the Infinity Saga; they went to see a well-done superhero movie. The fact that it could tie into the Infinity Saga was just a bonus - a novel idea that hadn't been done in such an overarching scale before. 

As to your last statement, I think that the MCU has earned enough goodwill at this point that most people, being that it's a Marvel movie, will give it the benefit of the doubt and give it a shot. Whether or not it's a good movie is something still to be determined and will have a bigger impact on whether or not it gets close to the $1B mark, rather than it's lack of a greater story line or superhero fatigue.

18 hours ago, Antpark said:

I think if you were talking about a television series / streaming show, you might be right, but the movies are something different. Many of them told their own story and were only tangentially related to the Infinity Saga via an mid/end credit cut scene, of which a majority of the movie watching public probably missed because they walked out when the credits started to roll. Most people didn't go see Thor:Ragnarok, Black Panther and Captain Marvel becuase of their connection to the Infinity Saga; they went to see a well-done superhero movie. The fact that it could tie into the Infinity Saga was just a bonus - a novel idea that hadn't been done in such an overarching scale before. 

As to your last statement, I think that the MCU has earned enough goodwill at this point that most people, being that it's a Marvel movie, will give it the benefit of the doubt and give it a shot. Whether or not it's a good movie is something still to be determined and will have a bigger impact on whether or not it gets close to the $1B mark, rather than it's lack of a greater story line or superhero fatigue.

Gotta 100% disagree with you there.

As good as Black Panther is, a ton of people went to see it because of Infinity War. Captain Marvel is mediocre and was only a financial success because of the Infinity War and Endgame tie-in.

And at to your final paragraph, Marvel Studios only had this goodwill because of how well the Infinity Saga tied-in and payed off. Now that there is no overarching story to tell, especially through Phase 4, what's the point for the casual fans? Especially considering titles that are unknowns, and the fact that they are seemingly keen on undoing that great storytelling from the Infinity Saga (Vision, Mjolnir). We have plentifully seen that a lot of times, if it's a good movie, doesn't matter. I don't think it touches a billion even if it's a good movie.

Superhero fatigue is real, even for those who are comic book fans. To outright deny that would be pure ignorance.

3 hours ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

As good as Black Panther is, a ton of people went to see it because of Infinity War

Survey says...[XXX}.

Okay, a ton of people went to see Black Panther because of Infinity War. But the other 5 tons of them went to see it because we'd been waiting for a Black Panther movie forever. The African-American community saw the movie in droves and multiple times. They didn't give three bits about any Infinity Quest. They wanted the Black Panther. Good word of mouth helped it grow even more.

3 hours ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

Now that there is no overarching story to tell, especially through Phase 4, what's the point for the casual fans? Especially considering titles that are unknowns, and the fact that they are seemingly keen on undoing that great storytelling from the Infinity Saga

Hmm. What's that bolded statement mean when you haven't even seen these movies yet? Are you referring to the diversity of heroes like Eternals, Shang Chi, and Jane Foster's Thor that they're putting in the spotlight? Look, I understand you feel that heroes for the most part can only be straight white males in their 30's, but Stan Lee had other plans after 1965. News flash, a hero can by anybody. That was the point of Spider-Man.

The MCU is more successful than ever yet here you are with the other naysayers ringing the bell of doom for the most successful movie franchise in Hollywood history.

Okay, sure. Certainly there was a general overarching narrative dealing with the Infinity Stones and the forming of the Avengers that loosely tied together all the MCU movies through Spider-Man Far From Home. But here's another news flash: Civil War and the Infinity Saga aren't the only successful cross-over storylines from Marvel Comics. In fact, they've had quite a few good stories over the years, like thousands. Read comics, much?

4 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

Survey says...[XXX}.

Okay, a ton of people went to see Black Panther because of Infinity War. But the other 5 tons of them went to see it because we'd been waiting for a Black Panther movie forever. The African-American community saw the movie in droves and multiple times. They didn't give three bits about any Infinity Quest. They wanted the Black Panther. Good word of mouth helped it grow even more.

Hmm. What's that bolded statement mean when you haven't even seen these movies yet? Are you referring to the diversity of heroes like Eternals, Shang Chi, and Jane Foster's Thor that they're putting in the spotlight? Look, I understand you feel that heroes for the most part can only be straight white males in their 30's, but Stan Lee had other plans after 1965. News flash, a hero can by anybody. That was the point of Spider-Man.

The MCU is more successful than ever yet here you are with the other naysayers ringing the bell of doom for the most successful movie franchise in Hollywood history.

Okay, sure. Certainly there was a general overarching narrative dealing with the Infinity Stones and the forming of the Avengers that loosely tied together all the MCU movies through Spider-Man Far From Home. But here's another news flash: Civil War and the Infinity Saga aren't the only successful cross-over storylines from Marvel Comics. In fact, they've had quite a few good stories over the years, like thousands. Read comics, much?

Survey actually says: ✔✔✔

There are 3 types of people who saw Black Panther (and some are combos of another):

• Those who read comics.
  • Black people.
  • Casual fans who knew it was a "must-see" prior to Infinity War.

You can play, or be, ignorant about the announcements regarding Phase 4. WandaVision? Love and Thunder? The entire premises undo some of the important actions/stories of the Infinity Saga. Shang-Chi might actually correct The Mandarin, despite being a sideshow character.

Aaaaaaaaaand with your racist assertions you prove that you have, well, nothing to prove. And the conversation ends because you're so blind to facts and MCU-biased that no one can have a discussion in good faith with you.

/end

I love this movie from a sales perspective but I don't have a great vibe that it can be a great movie.  They seem to be pulling in some heavy hitters in terms of actors so I guess I give it a coin flip to be a killer movie that will generated a couple more movies afterwards.

41 minutes ago, 1Cool said:

I love this movie from a sales perspective but I don't have a great vibe that it can be a great movie.  They seem to be pulling in some heavy hitters in terms of actors so I guess I give it a coin flip to be a killer movie that will generated a couple more movies afterwards.

I like to look at the previous films of the directors that get hired for these MCU movies. Chloe Zao is an independent filmmaker but is quite the visionary who cites Terence Malick as an influence. Here's the trailer for her last movie, "The Rider", which has won awards for Best Film and Best Director at major film festivals across the world.

So we can expect a deep thought provoking marvel movie about people that do not age?  Logan was deep in parts and it was great so it could work but there better be a kick butt action scenes to keep the masses entertained.

2 minutes ago, 1Cool said:

So we can expect a deep thought provoking marvel movie about people that do not age?  Logan was deep in parts and it was great so it could work but there better be a kick butt action scenes to keep the masses entertained.

Ryan Coogler also made pretty serious movies like Fruitville Station (though he did do Creed)  before jumping to Black Panther. I imagine there will be the usual Marvel action and humor, but yeah, maybe some deeper Terence Malickey type-stuff, too. Who knows? The idea of immortals living in our midst throughout history reminds me a bit of Highlander, though, so maybe there could be some inspiration there.

Jack Kirby's Eternals series was pretty simple and really just served as more of an intro to that world. Neil Gaiman's Eternals series is pretty excellent story-wise so maybe some of the narrative will come from there, too.

39 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

Here's the trailer for Chloe Zao's first indie feature, Songs My Brother Taught Me, about life on a Lakota Sioux Indian reservation. Again, has a strong Terence Malick influence.

Interesting trailer, with a lot of emotion and intensity. I wonder if this will carry over to Eternals?

4 hours ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

What makes anyone think that this will be better than the 1st Thor movie...?

I really like the 1st Thor movie, other than Hemsworth's eyebrows, for the record.

If it achieves that level of success as a production, I'd take it. I really like the first Thor film more than the other two.

emotion01.gif.5d87de4150813ba6e199595950854295.gif

On 8/12/2019 at 9:49 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

I don't think so. Superhero fatigue is setting in. With Phase 4 looking mediocre-as-Hel, and Worlds of DC having no direction, there isn't much draw to these things in the short-term future. A lot of the previous "built-in fan base" is losing interest, what with only 5 upcoming films, and the homework required via Disney+. They're not gaining traction - they're losing it. The cast doesn't matter. The director doesn't matter.

Add to the fact that it's more new characters, those of which people simply don't know, and those of which people can't empathize with... It'll likely make money from HxC fans who don't wanna miss a beat. Otherwise it doesn't have any draw.

takemymoney.jpg

damn I wasn't caring much about the eternals but I think I m getting pulled in I might have to read the story and buy the book for speculation of course... :whistle:

Also to the arguments we don't know if there will be a overarching story through phase 4 MCU could be keeping it a secret who knows until we actually see the movie what they do.