• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The DC Collection Is COMPLETE.
9 9

1,517 posts in this topic

The collection is complete and right up to date.

Every DC comic ever sold.

Congratulations Ian, an amazing achievement.

I'm sure most people wouldn't have had the patience! thumbsup2.gif

for those of thinking that DTA even cares about the NA26, you are mistaken. The NA26 he has is a consigned book, DTA is not making or losing money by not selling it. He doesn't care if it sells. The owner set the price of the book. gossip.gifthumbsup2.gif

That information was posted on the board as second hand info from an unknown source. So it really doesn't mean anything.

I believe Ian posted it from his conversation with DTA.

No sale, no money. What is lost is the opportunity at making a commission.

Right. Try to think outside of the box on this one, ok 'lok?

PS Hope you made some nice pickups at SD.

Right, but there is a difference between not making money and losing money. Opportunity lost and all that.

I equate the squandered opportunity to earn over 1k as a loss of 1k. C'mon dude, surely you see what's lost here is not just "opportunity." Don't you run a comics empire!?!

27_laughing.gif "Comics Empire!" 27_laughing.gif

I only LOSE money when I sell books for less than I pay for them. I lose the opportunity to make money when I price books too high. DTA is an insufficiently_thoughtful_person, but his pricing this book at a very high price doesn't hurt him in the pocketbook - only in the ability to get MORE money.

FD, you are a very smart man. Not really sure why the rest of these guys have a hard time understanding this. I feel like were talking to JC. screwy.gif

If DTA owned the book, then he's crazy for not selling it to Ian for a reasonable price. However, if he was only the consigner, then I fail to see how he's at fault. If the original owner was unhappy with the price DTA set, then he certainly had ample time to find another consigner or call Ian directly and offer the book at a lower price. I just can't see DTA ruining his reputation for a the 10% consigning fee for the difference between what Ian was offering and what the asking price was (probably around $800).

For instance, if I consigened a vintage book I owned to Metro and basically told them how much I'm willing to sell it for within a given time (let's say six months). However, if Metro takes matters into their own hands and sets the books value at 2X what I was asking for, and the book sat there for months after multiple bids were made higher than my asking price....... I'd the furious. Therefore, I'd take the book back and find another, more reasonable consigner that can get my book sold at a good price and not worry about making an additional $500 in consigning fees. If DTA did do something like this and cost the original owner a lot of money, then that guy would be on these boards screaming his head off.

I only LOSE money when I sell books for less than I pay for them.

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

"We lose money on every sell....but we make up for it in volume!"

There's a business model for you! 27_laughing.gif

poke2.gif

Grats Ian on a amazing accomplishemnt! No matter what grades your books are in, no matter who sold you the last book, no matter how many others have ever done it before. It's an incredible feat! 893applaud-thumb.gif

depends on who was being stubborn: DTA or the owner of the book. WAS IT DTA who wanted to hold up Ian? or did the consognor insist on getting every last dollar? If DTA wanted to sell and owner didnt, I guess DTA could be said to have lost a sale that he couldnt finalize. If DTA was the holdout, he cost the owner and himself some dough. If so, I hope the owner is shrugging his shoulders and is happy he still owns the book.

You guys are all assuming that no one else will buy the DTA copy. I think that Ian's purchase may cast a spotlight on the DTA copy by emphasizing how rare the book is. 10X guide for what might be the second best copy of one of the toughest DC books does not sound as crazy to me now as it did a year ago. confused-smiley-013.gif

depends on who was being stubborn: DTA or the owner of the book. WAS IT DTA who wanted to hold up Ian? or did the consognor insist on getting every last dollar? If DTA wanted to sell and owner didnt, I guess DTA could be said to have lost a sale that he couldnt finalize. If DTA was the holdout, he cost the owner and himself some dough. If so, I hope the owner is shrugging his shoulders and is happy he still owns the book.

You guys are all assuming that no one else will buy the DTA copy. I think that Ian's purchase may cast a spotlight on the DTA copy by emphasizing how rare the book is. 10X guide for what might be the second best copy of one of the toughest DC books does not sound as crazy to me now as it did a year ago. confused-smiley-013.gif

Ya but all the time you've spent here has probably made you insane. wink.gif

I only LOSE money when I sell books for less than I pay for them. I lose the opportunity to make money when I price books too high. DTA is an insufficiently_thoughtful_person, but his pricing this book at a very high price doesn't hurt him in the pocketbook - only in the ability to get MORE money.

If a consignor is doing his job, there should be some cost involved in negotiating a sale. Advertising or listing fees, long distance telephone calls, mailing fees, etc. DTA may have been holding out believing he had Ian under his thumb or the consignee may have refused to budge on the amount he/she was willing to accept but, nonetheless, if a consignor is worth his/her weight, he/she would have put forth some expense to make a sale. If there was no effort by DTA to make a sale, then he would not have been carrying out his end of the deal.

for those of thinking that DTA even cares about the NA26, you are mistaken. The NA26 he has is a consigned book, DTA is not making or losing money by not selling it. He doesn't care if it sells. The owner set the price of the book.

I don't believe a word of that.

Not one single solitary word.

A tissue of fabrication.

He claimed the 27 (which he charged six thousand for) was also a consigned book from the same person, and claimed he didn't have it in his possession, and it was located hundreds of miles away in a different state, yet delivered it within 24 hours of getting paid.

this is such BS that even i can't keep my mouth shut.

look, we all understand DL's dislike of Ian and his weak attempt at trying to minimize this remarkable accomplishment, but this friggin' logic should escape even the dimmest among us. DTA had the book for consignment. at a presumed rate of 10% he could have made a nice little pot of dough for himself had he been able to persuade the collector to sell the book for a reasonable price.

But the so called anonymous mysterious collector who insisted on pricing the book at fifteen thousand, and the sheer magnanimity of DTA who was just trying to help me and not make any money out of the deal, is the biggest load of fiction since the tooth fairy and Santa Claus.

DTA's claims were a pack of lies - blatant fiction.

I don't believe one single word he said.

That information was posted on the board as second hand info from an unknown source. So it really doesn't mean anything.

That information was the utter BS that DTA told to Vinnie from Metropolis in an attempt to explain away and justify his merciless rip-off attempt when Vinnie asked him.

I am still mystified that DTA never changed the description on the ZIP #44 (Item number: 6544202273) auction, when it was brought to his attention that the “violent depiction of Archie on the cover” was an incorrect statement. It is certainly within the realm of possibility that his statements to you may not have been entirely accurate.

for those of thinking that DTA even cares about the NA26, you are mistaken. The NA26 he has is a consigned book, DTA is not making or losing money by not selling it. He doesn't care if it sells. The owner set the price of the book.

I don't believe a word of that.

Not one single solitary word.

A tissue of fabrication.

Let it go Ian, let it go. You now have the book, so be happy and STFU! frustrated.gif

I believe DTA is telling the truth.

Michaelangelo painted the Sistene Chapel in less time than it will take me to accept anyhing you might say as being halfway credible.

27_laughing.gifhail.gif

Finally, would you ever consider selling the entire collection? I bet you could get at least 10 million for it...

It's taken me over thirty years and I have no intention of selling it.

Having said that, if someone offered me ten million, I'd sell it and start again, as long as I could keep the Superman/Bradman comic, the Narrative Illustration M.C. Gaines comic, the Twisted Metal promo comic, and Double Action 2, as I think those four would be impossible to ever replace in my lifetime.

confused.gif But what about my lil' ol Buzzy 70?

Ian, you never write, you never call! crazy.gif

CONGRATS BUDDY!

Shawn