• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The DC Collection Is COMPLETE.
9 9

1,517 posts in this topic

And btw, don't consignors LOSE money when they dont' sell consigned books?

There's a hole in yer argument the size of Roseanne's keister.

How do consigners lose money on books that don't sell?

And btw, don't consignors LOSE money when they dont' sell consigned books?

There's a hole in yer argument the size of Roseanne's keister.

No. Consigners NEVER lose money. That's why I LOVE being a consigner. You don't make a big pile, but there's no cash outlay.

If you don't sell the book, then you don't make any money.

Isn't that a loss, that is to say, a loss of money that you could've had?

I realize that consigners don't put any money out, but if you don't sell a book that you could have, that seems to constitute a financial loss to me.

I realize that consigners don't put any money out, but if you don't sell a book that you could have, that seems to constitute a financial loss to me.

In your example, I suppose I lost the PGA Masters tournament, because I didn't enter.

As in I suppose I lost money on not selling the NA26, because I didn't have it.

screwy.gif

In your example, I suppose I lost the PGA Masters tournament, because I didn't enter.

screwy.gif

1)You would've lost the tournament anyway.

2) You didn't have access to the book, but DTA did, and his (or whoever's) play resulted in no sale. Hence that's probably over 1k he could have in his pocket that isn't there.

Apples and oranges, but I think you know that and are just trying to be difficult.

screwy.gif

2) You didn't have access to the book, but DTA did, and his (or whoever's) play resulted in no sale. Hence that's probably over 1k he could have in his pocket that isn't there.

Apples and oranges, but I think you know that and are just trying to be difficult.

Your position makes no sense. By your logic if a book doesn't sell, then a consigner losses money. That's absurd. How can you lose money, you never had in the first place. I can see not gaining any money, but not losing money.

I guess we'll just have to look at this situation differently. You propose what seems to me a very narrow-minded business strategy, but hey, to each their own.

How is it narrow-minded? A consigner gets a book and the seller says I want X amount of dollars for it. The consigner lists the book for that price. If it doesn't sell then the nobody gains any money. If the book sells then the seller gets his money less the cosigner commision.

I can't believe I have to explain this to you.

the consigner doesn't lose any money at all. period. nothing. nada. zip. He only gains if the book sells.

I guess we'll just have to look at this situation differently. You propose what seems to me a very narrow-minded business strategy, but hey, to each their own.

How is it narrow-minded? A consigner gets a book and the seller says I want X amount of dollars for it. The consigner lists the book for that price. If it doesn't sell then the nobody gains any money. If the book sells then the seller gets his money less the cosigner commision.

I can't believe I have to explain this to you.

the consigner doesn't lose any money at all. period. nothing. nada. zip. He only gains if the book sells.

No sale, no money. What is lost is the opportunity at making a commission.

screwy.gif

Your position makes no sense. By your logic if a book doesn't sell, then a consigner losses money. That's absurd. How can you lose money, you never had in the first place. I can see not gaining any money, but not losing money.

this is such BS that even i can't keep my mouth shut. 893whatthe.gif

look, we all understand DL's dislike of Ian and his weak attempt at trying to minimize this remarkable accomplishment, but this friggin' logic should escape even the dimmest among us. DTA had the book for consignment. at a presumed rate of 10% he could have made a nice little pot of dough for himself had he been able to persuade the collector to sell the book for a reasonable price.

by not being able to do so and having the book show up and be sold by another collector, DTA LOSES that commission.................plain and simple - no stupid word games...............I know i'd feel like i lost that money................ mad.gif

Right. Try to think outside of the box on this one, ok 'lok?

PS Hope you made some nice pickups at SD.

Right, but there is a difference between not making money and losing money. Opportunity lost and all that.

Right, but there is a difference between not making money and losing money. Opportunity lost and all that.

I equate the squandered opportunity to earn over 1k as a loss of 1k. C'mon dude, surely you see what's lost here is not just "opportunity." Don't you run a comics empire!?!

screwy.gif

It is a loss. To be specific it is considered an opportunity loss. Think of it like this: The manager of a bookstore orders 100 copies of the new Harry Potter book, but 200 people show up the first day to buy copies. The bookstore has an opportunity loss of 100 copies ($1700 or so in sales) because those customers would have purchased them if the store owner had ordered them. headbang.gif

I equate the squandered opportunity to earn over 1k as a loss of 1k. C'mon dude, surely you see what's lost here is not just "opportunity." Don't you run a comics empire!?!

27_laughing.gif "Comics Empire!" 27_laughing.gif

I only LOSE money when I sell books for less than I pay for them. I lose the opportunity to make money when I price books too high. DTA is an insufficiently_thoughtful_person, but his pricing this book at a very high price doesn't hurt him in the pocketbook - only in the ability to get MORE money.

depends on who was being stubborn: DTA or the owner of the book. WAS IT DTA who wanted to hold up Ian? or did the consognor insist on getting every last dollar? If DTA wanted to sell and owner didnt, I guess DTA could be said to have lost a sale that he couldnt finalize. If DTA was the holdout, he cost the owner and himself some dough. If so, I hope the owner is shrugging his shoulders and is happy he still owns the book.

for those of thinking that DTA even cares about the NA26, you are mistaken. The NA26 he has is a consigned book, DTA is not making or losing money by not selling it. He doesn't care if it sells. The owner set the price of the book. gossip.gifthumbsup2.gif

That information was posted on the board as second hand info from an unknown source. So it really doesn't mean anything.