• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Disney+'s WHAT IF ...? ANIMATED SERIES (2021)
5 5

424 posts in this topic

We should assume that the octopus monster at the end WASN'T Shuma-Gorath, correct?  It seemed mindless, but Shuma-Gorath isn't mindless.

Including a big cephalopod monster in this episode casts a bit of doubt onto Shuma-Gorath as the big bad of Multiverse of Madness.  It'll definitely be confusing to put that monster in this episode and another octopus monster in the movie if they're not supposed to be the same being, or at least the same species.  :blush:  Although they introduced similar confusion by making Thanos be from Titan when the moon in our own solar system that many astrobiologists think is the one most likely to have life forms on it is also called Titan.  :insane:

Edited by fantastic_four

On 8/11/2021 at 9:26 AM, JazzMan said:

The first episode did not disappoint - great animation, too.  In fact I would love to see that story arc expand and extend to a full on series, to be honest.  

I would absolutely watch a show about the exploits of Captain Carter.

On 8/11/2021 at 10:24 AM, gadzukes said:

Even though it was only 29 minutes, they kept the action & story moving along at such a nice clip that it felt like much longer.

I think Marvel has hit another HR.

I actually thought the length worked against it.  They had to cram an entire full length movie into a 30 minute episode.  Props to them for doing it well, but parts of it just felt like it jumped from one plot point to the next rather quickly.

On 8/11/2021 at 2:03 PM, ExNihilo said:

I actually thought the length worked against it.  They had to cram an entire full length movie into a 30 minute episode.  Props to them for doing it well, but parts of it just felt like it jumped from one plot point to the next rather quickly.

There were definitely some quick edits, but I thought it all worked fairly well.  Maybe because we as the viewers already kind of know what's going to happen from what happened in our universe, and our brains filled in any gaps.

On 8/11/2021 at 2:03 PM, ExNihilo said:

On 8/11/2021 at 2:16 PM, gadzukes said:

There were definitely some quick edits, but I thought it all worked fairly well.  Maybe because we as the viewers already kind of know what's going to happen from what happened in our universe, and our brains filled in any gaps.

I had a good time with this episode. And even the accuracy of the Tiger tanks (which a live movie couldn't do) brought a sense of reality how this would have played out as alternate history. And still reinforcing the relationship with Steve Rogers brought the emotions at times. Loved that!

But for me what it did too much is took actual scenes from the first movie and inserted a woman in the same scene as if to say, "See - we did that!" If done even more, it would have detracted from demonstrating the unique scenario that was created with a female Cap. Though then throwing her into the future happened so fast it did feel rushed.

I'm of the same mindset. I want to see so much more of this world and Captain Carter. The artwork and no real limitations due to animation can take this anywhere storywise!

Edited by Bosco685

Marvel’s What If…? got off to a roaring start with Captain Carter, but fans couldn’t get enough of Bucky’s arm comment in the first episode. With the extended riff on The First Avenger, it would be hard not to see James Barnes factoring into the adventure.

Captain Carter plans the same train mission that led Bucky and Steve Rogers to be separated in the first Captain America movie, Well, What If subverts that tragic scene with the Super Soldier catching the young soldier instead of having him plummet to his doom. As he gets tossed onto the roof of the train, Bucky quips, “You almost tore my arm off!” A delightful nod to The Winter Soldier and his experience in the main timeline of the MCU.

On 8/11/2021 at 1:14 PM, Bosco685 said:

I disagree. Keep this just like it is with that incredible animation and no limitations on what you can include. This has 'amazing' backed into it.

I dunno, Caps opening fight scene in Winter Soldier was REALLY impressive.  I think it goes to show that a character at peak human performance can be translated to screen through stunt work, wires, and some CG.  I compare this to a character like Ahsoka who (in my opinion) should stay in the realm of animation.  Her character is lithe and athletic in a way that didn't work well in The Mandalorian (that or not enough money was spent to make it look better).  Given the popularity of Carter (and how many fans were upset when her show wasn't renewed), I would think there would be a lot of people excited to see a live version of Captain Carter.  My one regret is that she couldn't adopt the Captain Britain moniker.

On 8/11/2021 at 4:23 PM, ExNihilo said:

I dunno, Caps opening fight scene in Winter Soldier was REALLY impressive.  I think it goes to show that a character at peak human performance can be translated to screen through stunt work, wires, and some CG.  I compare this to a character like Ahsoka who (in my opinion) should stay in the realm of animation.  Her character is lithe and athletic in a way that didn't work well in The Mandalorian (that or not enough money was spent to make it look better).  Given the popularity of Carter (and how many fans were upset when her show wasn't renewed), I would think there would be a lot of people excited to see a live version of Captain Carter.  My one regret is that she couldn't adopt the Captain Britain moniker.

They could have done so much to play off Agent Carter with Agents of SHIELD through time sequences that could have been fun. And used big Marvel characters that transcended time. Though I think at that time there was such a division between TV and Movie Marvel, I wonder if rights between them got a little tangled.

Haley Atwell is 39. So not overly late in life, but also not as young as when she was introduced (29). So to keep those energized and youthful action scenes going animation could be the easy fix. Time will tell based on fan responses.

On 8/11/2021 at 2:51 PM, Bosco685 said:

What_If_Cast.jpg.cdf64d861743fab9ef58f40ae5a2909c.jpg

It looks like most of the live action actors took part in this series.  Very cool!

On 8/11/2021 at 4:36 PM, Bosco685 said:

They could have done so much to play off Agent Carter with Agents of SHIELD through time sequences that could have been fun. And used big Marvel characters that transcended time. Though I think at that time there was such a division between TV and Movie Marvel, I wonder if rights between them got a little tangled.

Haley Atwell is 39. So not overly late in life, but also not as young as when she was introduced (29). So to keep those energized and youthful action scenes going animation could be the easy fix. Time will tell based on fan responses.

Allegedly she may show up as Captain Carter in Multiverse of Madness. There was an odd casting for MoM too that had to do with Gargantus I think? Who happens to be an octopus like creature generally tied to Namor.