• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Disney+'s WHAT IF ...? ANIMATED SERIES (2021)
5 5

424 posts in this topic

Now that was a complete and emotional story. :applause:

"What if Doctor Strange lost his heart instead of his hands"

• Doctor Strange - Benedict Cumberbatch
  • Christine Palmer - Rachel McAdams
  • Wong - Benedict Wong
  • The Ancient One - Tilda Swinton

All in 34:38.minutes (including credits).

After last week's episode, I was starting to say to myself that this is a show I may stop watching. But this week's episode about Strange facing the consequences of manipulating time for Christine was excellent. A harbinger of what we may see in some of the upcoming films, perhaps?

just-when-i-thought-i-was-out-they-pull-me-back-in.gif

Well, I hate to be the downer on this series but I keep waiting for a good episode and it's just not happening.  I think my issue is that the "What if?" questions don't seem like very good premises so they don't go anywhere.  I'm not saying the original comic book series was always a homerun but many of the questions were better, IMO.

For me, better premises might be:

• What if Captain America had saved Bucky?  (or What if the Winter Soldier had never been?)
  • What if Quicksilver had not died?
  • What if Scott Lang never became Ant-Man? (or What if Hank Pym had become Giant-Man?)

I'm not saying it's bad so far, just that I'm a bit underwhelmed.  I'll keep watching through the series, hope springs eternal and all.  2c

On 9/1/2021 at 8:55 PM, fastballspecial said:

I am not a Dr Strange fan at all. But I must say this episode was fantastic. 

They have completely captured the magic of What if. This episode was brilliant.

Why cant DC do this? 

I am assuming you never saw:

• Justice League: Crisis on Two Earths
  • Justice League: The Flashpoint Paradox
  • Justice League: Gods and Monsters
  • Superman: Red Son
  • Justice League Dark: Apokolips War (ties into Flashpoint)

It even has the Injustice animated movie due out in October. You're missing out.

I liked how the Dr Strange episode of What If? kept killing Christine Palmer because she was an annoying nag in the live action movie and definitely one of the cons for me. I kept wondering why can't she leave this man alone in peace without nagging him about the kind of surgery he wants to do or nagging him about wallowing in self-pity after his life was ruined?  Nag nag nag. He's an adult, not Christine's teenage son. I suppose if she shows up in the sequel she'll nag him about being Sorcerer Supreme. Worse than Jiminy friggin' Cricket.

On 9/2/2021 at 5:36 AM, TupennyConan said:

We call this Chanel No.5.

Chanel commercials, which are often a mix of dreamy surreal imagery, style, and sexuality, take a lot of inspiration from 60's French cinema, particularly the late 50's/ early 60's cinema of Alain Resnais who made films that visually were a mix of dreamy surreal images, style, and sexuality, like "Last Year at Marienbad" and "Hiroshima, Mon Amour."

Coco Chanel actually designed the costumes for "Last Year at Marienbad."

Chloe Zhao's films are visually more a mix of harsh reality and meditation, where the actors don't use a lot of make-up and rather than being dreamy creatures of sexuality, are more nomads living in wide open spaces, as you can see in her films like "The Rider" and "Nomadland", obviously. Her films take more  visual and thematic inspiration from Terence Malick than Alain Resnais.

Edited by @therealsilvermane

@Randall Dowling but seriously, you didn't like E4? Do you care for the animation? I thought E1 was fun enough but didn't care for E2 & thought E3 was just bad but quite enjoyed E4. The animation is top notch, imo. 

On 9/2/2021 at 9:20 AM, TupennyConan said:

@Randall Dowling but seriously, you didn't like E4? Do you care for the animation? I thought E1 was fun enough but didn't care for E2 & thought E3 was just bad but quite enjoyed E4. The animation is top notch, imo. 

I'm absolutely smitten with the animation style and the choice to use influences from vintage illustration artists.  I think I'm more or less on the same page with you. Episode 4 was better if a bit dragged out.  And for me, Episode 1 was good enough.  But Episodes 2 and 3 were really contrived.

Again, just my opinion.

On 9/2/2021 at 3:53 AM, Bosco685 said:

I am assuming you never saw:

• Justice League: Crisis on Two Earths
  • Justice League: The Flashpoint Paradox
  • Justice League: Gods and Monsters
  • Superman: Red Son
  • Justice League Dark: Apokolips War (ties into Flashpoint)

It even has the Injustice animated movie due out in October. You're missing out.

I think I have seen 3 of them and they were good. 

I guess the point I was making was Marvel is making 
me like characters I never liked. DC not so much.

On 9/2/2021 at 11:55 AM, fastballspecial said:

I think I have seen 3 of them and they were good. 

I guess the point I was making was Marvel is making 
me like characters I never liked. DC not so much.

I agree Marvel (MCU and Marvel TV) have done a pretty decent job of rolling out what Gatsby terms 'X-list characters' (insert appropriate letter based on the point being enhanced). But I'd note the DCEU, DCAU, DCTV and even CW's Arrowverse have gotten characters out there as well driving positive fan reactions.

• Barry Allen/Flash (live and animated)
  • Blue Beetle (live and animated)
  • Booster Gold (live and animated)
  • Crazy Jane (live)
  • Cyborg (live and animated)
  • Green Arrow (live and animated)
  • Harley Quinn (live and animated)
  • Martian Manhunter (live and animated)
  • Negative Man (live)
  • Robotman (live)
  • Shazam (live and animated)
  • Stargirl (live and animated)
  • Vixen (live and animated)

Even with Young Justice, the breadth and depth of characters it brings to bear in its stories are quite impressive. It just may come down to you haven't had a chance to see this content yet. That show alone is ramping up Season 4, which should be out end of 2021, early 2022.