• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Disney+'s WHAT IF ...? ANIMATED SERIES (2021)
5 5

424 posts in this topic

On 8/18/2021 at 9:08 AM, @therealsilvermane said:

Drax's What If? role was such a small part that it seems to me it would have been a waste to bring in Dave Bautista and pay him the six figures or so for those few lines the character says.

Apparently the reason was a mistake by his agent. 

On 8/22/2021 at 3:06 AM, JasonTodd69 said:

It's amazing how chicken Disney has become. That story sounds like something I would watch on Saturday afternoon when I was 10 years old. It's the same mindset that made Spielberg decide to change rifles in E.T. into walkie talkies(thankfully, he changed it back). Kids are not as fragile as these censors seem to think they are.

On 8/22/2021 at 5:28 PM, Bosco685 said:

whatifantman.thumb.jpg.c13d31b1bc2b8c7e4de285cbfddfc948.jpg

:whatthe::eek:

antmanthanos.thumb.JPG.b03df1d587306affcf442a15643c57fd.JPG

Stephen Markus: "Thanos could take a punch from the Hulk, we've seen that. And it stands to reason his whole body is at least as strong as that. If Ant-Man expanded, he would be simply crushed against the immovable walls of Thanos’ mighty rectum."

On 8/22/2021 at 3:06 AM, JasonTodd69 said:

Garth Ennis wrote a Spider-Man story called "The Thousand" that is VERY similar to this, but I would argue it's even more dark.  It's also part of the 616, I believe--or even if Marvel decided it isn't it certainly could be.  The concept is that one of Peter's classmates saw Peter get bit by the spider and then use his powers, so the kid went back to find the spider.  It was dead by then, so he did the only thing that was left--he ate it.  The result was that it turned him into a colony of spiders that had to seek out hosts to slowly consume their bodies and then move on to the next host.  GREAT story, I loved it.

PiYq5sTrcnRt2z_aDdXlzDSU9xwTgpKVMihcvFLFKezIgYqvJEhqA6cuedNDNeYZhxUhJRfYoplSYuVz

On 8/26/2021 at 10:55 PM, fantastic_four said:

Garth Ennis wrote a Spider-Man story called "The Thousand" that is VERY similar to this, but I would argue it's even more dark.  It's also part of the 616, I believe--or even if Marvel decided it isn't it certainly could be.  The concept is that one of Peter's classmates saw Peter get bit by the spider and then use his powers, so the kid went back to find the spider.  It was dead by then, so he did the only thing that was left--he ate it.  The result was that it turned him into a colony of spiders that had to seek out hosts to slowly consume their bodies and then move on to the next host.  GREAT story, I loved it.

PiYq5sTrcnRt2z_aDdXlzDSU9xwTgpKVMihcvFLFKezIgYqvJEhqA6cuedNDNeYZhxUhJRfYoplSYuVz

Smooth way of indicating 'I've unlocked the thread now'.

:applause:

That is definitely a darker Marvel story than we may ever experience in the MCU. Though if Doctor Strange 2 goes as dark as is hinted to and Deadpool 3 is a huge hit, maybe those could bring more comfort how far to take these stories.

:popcorn:

Edited by Bosco685

This week's new episode of Marvel's What If...? takes on the big question "What If... The World Lost its Mightiest Heroes?," and with it tackles "Fury's Big Week" and the near simultaneous events of Iron Man 2, Thor, and The Incredible Hulk. By revisiting the second film in the Marvel Cinematic Universe the animated series pretty heavily referenced a corner of their own lore that is seldom talked about by Marvel Studios. The film is seldom talked about because Edward Norton starred as the title hero, something that the series' head writer joked about wanting to have happen in the show.

"It wasn’t much of a difference for me, I love all Marvel movies," head writer A.C. Bradley revealed to Discussing Film. "I’ve seen The Incredible Hulk probably three or four times. I love the bottle chase sequence in the beginning. We wanted to make sure that with all three movies we pulled iconic moments that people would recognize. So for The Incredible Hulk, it was the Culver University fight scene. We wanted to use, if possible, the fight in Harlem. But the Culver one lends itself better to the story, so we went there. I did joke early on, 'If we can’t get Ruffalo back are we going to ask Norton?' And I was told that Mark Ruffalo already agreed to do the show. He’s a very lovely human being, and he was great. He came in, had fun, and you really can’t get a better Hulk than Mark Ruffalo."

Ruffalo voicing Banner in this episode offered a bit of a chance for him to explore that side of the character that he didn't get to play on the big screen previously, interacting with the character of Betsy Ross (voiced by Stephanie Panisello in the series and not her live-action counterpart Liv Tyler).

I was wondering who they used for Betty Ross. That's how little they have given her attention in the MCU. Reporting sites can't keep the name straight.