• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Disney+'s WHAT IF ...? ANIMATED SERIES (2021)
5 5

424 posts in this topic

On 8/13/2021 at 9:27 AM, Bosco685 said:

Since the 2016 run of DC-based animated movies the ones I had issues with were:

• Batman: The Killing Joke - Why mess with storytelling perfection?
  • Batman and Harley Quinn - She's just not high on my favorite DC character list
  • Batman: Gotham By Gaslight - Leave the ending alone and strop trying to refresh these classics!
  • Batman: Death In The Family - I enjoyed the interactive story but it is only the bluray you get to do this

DCAU_Modern.thumb.PNG.59fc259ed3eed3610e3cff7f64b34963.PNG

The rest have actually been very entertaining. I finished up the Long Halloween two weeks ago and had a great time with them. But it would also be wrong to assume everything must be a home run or we call it a bust, right?

Totally agree. There was just a high standard and the last few haven’t been great.

I did like Son of the Dragon and hope to watch Long Halloween soon.

I give it a B.

I enjoyed it for what it was. 30 mins. was the right length. The animation took some getting used to, but it shined in the action scenes. I think some of the voice acting was a little stilted, but hopefully this will improve. Also, I think they stopped at the most interesting part of the story -- when she wakes up in the future.

For me, the best What If stories in the comics are the tragic ones, where they end up killing everyone, destroying the universe, etc. They are little morality plays, which show how it is important to accept the world as it is, instead of dwelling on how it could be if we'd made different choices.

I will give it some time.  Hopefully they will tackle some more ambitious and consequential stories besides just remixing characters and story beats.

Edited by adampasz

On 8/13/2021 at 12:09 PM, piper said:

Totally agree. There was just a high standard and the last few haven’t been great.

I did like Son of the Dragon and hope to watch Long Halloween soon.

I really had a great time watching Son of the Dragon. And loved how they took it back to a 70's Kung Fu movie style, including the old WB Studios logo at the beginning like Joker.

The Long Halloween, for me, was really good. And they changed up a little of the ending in a solid way compared to Gotham By Gaslight. The latter movie could have been really good if they stuck with the original Brian Augustyn and Mike Mignola story. That period of animation where it was assumed you had to change the story to freshen it up was a letdown.

What I also love about these modern DC Animated films are the extra shorts you get as well with Death, The Spectre, Sergeant Rock, Green Arrow, Superman/Shazam Return of Black Adam, Jonah Hex. Incredible work!

On 8/13/2021 at 11:23 AM, Bosco685 said:

I really had a great time watching Son of the Dragon. And loved how they took it back to a 70's Kung Fu movie style, including the old WB Studios logo at the beginning like Joker.

The Long Halloween, for me, was really good. And they changed up a little of the ending in a solid way compared to Gotham By Gaslight. The latter movie could have been really good if they stuck with the original Brian Augustyn and Mike Mignola story. That period of animation where it was assumed you had to change the story to freshen it up was a letdown.

What I also love about these modern DC Animated films are the extra shorts you get as well with Death, The Spectre, Sergeant Rock, Green Arrow, Superman/Shazam Return of Black Adam, Jonah Hex. Incredible work!

And Phantom Stranger :gossip:

On 8/13/2021 at 6:20 PM, Azkaban said:

really liked the animation, it reminded me of the old Superman Fleischer cartoons 

They went overboard on the hard lighting for my taste. It looked cool, but would have been more effective if used sparingly. And the last time I saw this much lens flare was when JJ Abrams was directing Star Trek!

Edited by adampasz

On 8/13/2021 at 12:30 PM, adampasz said:

For me, the best What If stories in the comics are the tragic ones, where they end up killing everyone, destroying the universe, etc. They are little morality plays, which show how it is important to accept the world as it is, instead of dwelling on how it could be if we'd made different choices.

Pretty much what I thought.

I enjoyed it but that easily could've been a Steve Rogers Captain America story.   I prefer the stories where "What If" makes a difference in some meaningful way, not just a shuffling of characters.

Fun episode.  Seeing Thanos as a good guy was particularly fun--that's exactly the kind of reversal that made me always enjoy reading What If back in the day.  :cloud9:

It's also great to see almost all of the original actors doing their voices.  I'd love to know why Dave Bautista wasn't asked.  I know he was VERY vocal back when Disney fired James Gunn...did he burn some bridges?

On 8/18/2021 at 9:00 AM, fantastic_four said:

Fun episode.  Seeing Thanos as a good guy was particularly fun--that's exactly the kind of reversal that made me always enjoy reading What If back in the day.  :cloud9:

It's also great to see almost all of the original actors doing their voices.  I'd love to know why Dave Bautista wasn't asked.  I know he was VERY vocal back when Disney fired James Gunn...did he burn some bridges?

Drax's What If? role was such a small part that it seems to me it would have been a waste to bring in Dave Bautista and pay him the six figures or so for those few lines the character says.