• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Disney+'s WandaVision (2020)
6 6

3,184 posts in this topic

32 minutes ago, Gatsby77 said:

Again, the main flaw with Iron Man 3 was having Killian be the primary villain - not Maya, as Black had originally written.

I've never read confirmation, but I suspect it had to do with the perception that female action figures don't sell.

Yes, I think it's been basically confirmed that Perlmutter was behind that.

48 minutes ago, Gatsby77 said:

I imagine a lot of SS # 3 speculators are going to be as butt-hurt about this show as folks were about the Trevor reveal in Iron Man 3, which I still thought was *brilliant.*

Again, the main flaw with Iron Man 3 was having Killian be the primary villain - not Maya, as Black had originally written.

I've never read confirmation, but I suspect it had to do with the perception that female action figures don't sell.

It's been posted on here a few times how Rebecca Hall called out Marvel Entertainment for what took place. Surprised you missed it.

'Iron Man 3': Rebecca Hall Reveals New Details on the Original Version of Her Character

While I do enjoy that Marvel movie a good deal, it's abundantly clear that Hall's character, Maya Hansen, was woefully underdeveloped and came no where close to maximizing Hall's talents. As Adam Chitwood previous explained in his Iron Man 3 installment of his "How the MCU Was Made" series, Hall was originally supposed to have a bigger role in the film but the folks in charge over at Marvel Entertainment weren't having it. Director Shane Black explained, "There was an early draft of Iron Man 3 where we had an inkling of a problem. Which is that we had a female character who was the villain in the draft." Apparently he was told that this couldn't stand because there were concerns that that toy wouldn't sell as well if the character was female. Specifically, this was Marvel Entertainment CEO Ike Perlmutter's doing.

Hall has spoken about this in the past, noting that she had originally signed on to do something very different, but while we were catching up for her upcoming Amazon series, Tales from the Loop, we opted to dig a little deeper and Hall added in one more curious detail for the original version of the character. Here's what she said when we asked her to describe the early version of Maya Hansen:

“Yeah! She was meant to be a sort of - oh god, I can’t even remember probably now. In the first -script that I read she was in it to the end and she created whatever that serum-y thing was and then she sort of saved it by doing an act of martyrdom at the end and there was a whole like, she was evil but then she tries to be good at the end situation. It was a better part.”

15 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

It's been posted on here a few times how Rebecca Hall called out Marvel Entertainment for what took place. Surprised you missed it.

'Iron Man 3': Rebecca Hall Reveals New Details on the Original Version of Her Character

Thanks - I never read that or heard it from her side; only Shane Black's.

29 minutes ago, Gatsby77 said:

Thanks - I never read that or heard it from her side; only Shane Black's.

She's done a few interviews the past few years where she finally opened up about the situation. You can tell she was disappointed in the experience.

4 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

She's done a few interviews the past few years where she finally opened up about the situation. You can tell she was disappointed in the experience.

As was Shane Black. 

While I haven't yet seen The Predator and have heard it was garbage, a good rule of thumb is "don't mess with a Shane Black -script." 

He's easily among the top 5 action film writers of the last 30+ years, maybe top 3 (by ratio of "amazing" to "mediocre").

3 hours ago, comicginger1789 said:

So...I guess ASM Annual 16, FF 94 and maybe West Cost Avengers 45 are the only true books of value now (aside from XMen 4 of course). All the others well I hope you didn’t blow ya dough. Oh and I hope mid grade SS3 fall back to the $300-400 mark because I still want one lol.

I bought this already slabbed 16 years ago for $50.  I still think I did OK. (:

745540020_0094297010_12001.jpg.b5b334ed5298bbe44a510a5a11a237f0.jpg

8 hours ago, Rip said:

Was solid but felt incomplete. Was hoping for a bit more. Like they should have split that into 2 episodes and added a bit more time. Felt like the story had a few gaps. Looks like Quicksilver may of been just a big tease.

Maybe SS3 isn't the best book to sink thousands of dollars into. 2c

That's still a Silver Age first appearance, and it's totally possible he'll still show up at some point. I feel bad for the people that paid over $1K for a 9.8 WCA #45

8 hours ago, @therealsilvermane said:

I definitely wouldn’t trust her with my kids (worst nanny ever), but the MCU definitely ain’t done with her.

To be fair, she *did* offer to take the kids so Wanda could have some "me" time, and on that she certainly delivered.

Just finished it...so many plots holes or dangling threads but I just think the writers weren't expecting the level of fanboy excitement that the series generated and didn't expect everyone to go through the episodes with a fine toothed comb looking for clues. And the last credits scene is a bit WTF too. I typed out an interpretation and then erased it as who knows where they were going with that and how they explain it.

Dottie Jones, Herb Wyndham (he had that last name, right?)...just names.

Enjoyable, but I do not expect any rewatching.

Edited by Bird

Saw it.

I was correct about Vision not going away & phasing into White Vision, or mostly so.

I'll catch-up on this thread in the am but simply want credit for my prediction.

Also, I correctly predicted Agatha would survive. 

I win again.

MEPHISTO.

27 minutes ago, Randall Dowling said:

He had his chance.  And blew it with one of the most popular story arcs in all of comics.

I have Kevin Smith's Superman -script around here somewhere. Apparently run off his printer; I got it from someone in the Red Bank area who knows him. A woman, not a comic fan. It was very good on the page!

I am thinking where could it be? I may have given it to my brother-in -law to read and never got it back. :/

9 minutes ago, Bird said:

I have Kevin Smith's Superman --script around here somewhere. Apparently run off his printer; I got it from someone in the Red Bank area who knows him. A woman, not a comic fan. It was very good on the page!

I am thinking where could it be? I may have given it to my brother-in -law to read and never got it back. :/

Jon Peters - son of a gun just won't let it go

1 hour ago, Bird said:

Just finished it...so many plots holes or dangling threads but I just think the writers weren't expecting the level of fanboy excitement that the series generated and didn't expect everyone to go through the episodes with a fine toothed comb looking for clues. And the last credits scene is a bit WTF too. I typed out an interpretation and then erased it as who knows where they were going with that and how they explain it.

Dottie Jones, Herb Wyndham (he had that last name, right?)...just names.

Enjoyable, but I do not expect any rewatching.

Dottie Jones was a curveball. One of the writers must have had a box of defenders 112s....

1 hour ago, Bird said:

Herb Wyndham (he had that last name, right?)

They never said his last name.  They mostly called him Herb, although during the magic show when called to participate he clarified that it was Herbert, not Herb.

I need to go re-watch that scene where he cuts through the wall.  Why did he seem to have broken the mind control in that scene?

Enjoyed it..  I do think that, as many have mentioned, the series did an incredible job carrying a much larger load than it was originally intended to in the planned release order.  But maybe the ultimate payoff shows signs of that.

Even so? It was stylistic, it was (at times) personal and moving... and it moved the chess pieces around in really good ways. We got the Scarlet Witch we’ve wanted... we now have Vision 2.0 out there in the world, and for those clamoring for Mephisto... and I’ve always been one who thought there was no way he was showing up in this series... that final end credit — to me — seemed VERY much like the perfect introduction to his world/motivation.

We heard the twins screaming for help while Wanda was looking through the Darkhold for a way to reach them.  Could they already be in the grasp of Mephisto?  Will she reach out to Dr. Strange (who was name dropped by Agatha) to see if he can help? Even Agatha was kept on the board for whenever she is needed.

Looking forward to a very different tone with Falcon and Winter Soldier next week.

On an unrelated note... do you think, somewhere, Timothy Hutton is puzzled by the surprising buzz around his old movie “The Falcon and the Snowman”?  Someone must have reported to him, by now, that there’s been a huge increase in (mistaken) internet searches for that movie.  LOL.  Just a thought.

1 hour ago, Randall Dowling said:

He had his chance.  And blew it with one of the most popular story arcs in all of comics.

To which project are you referring? I know about Superman Lives, but was he up for a Marvel project at some point?