• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WB's SHAZAM 2 starring Zackary Levi (4/1/22)
1 1

696 posts in this topic

On 3/18/2023 at 4:31 PM, Bosco685 said:

I checked that on Reddit after seeing that post float around this morning. David Sandberg has a link off his main site of all his social media profiles.

David F. Sandberg main site

Click here for a full list of where to find me online

Sandberg.PNG.87f09e804fd1a68064c8893ea332623f.PNG

Unless his Reddit account has been hacked, it is noted as his account.

That's disappointing. 

THR: David F. Sandberg Talks Wonder Woman Cameo, the Marketing Swerve and Those Credit Scenes

With his duties in the DCEU now coming to a close, Sandberg is eager to return to his roots in the horror genre, and that includes reunions with his Lights Out and Annabelle: Creation producer, James Wan, as well as former DC Films president, Walter Hamada. The latter has executive produced all four of Sandberg’s feature films. 

“I actually have one project in development with James … and I have been talking a lot with Walter about finding something to do together. I’ve never made a movie without him, so I would love to do more with Walt,” Sandberg says.

• THR: So the Shazam family’s future in the DCU is up in the air, but after two movies, have you scratched your superhero movie itch at this point? Are you ready to move on?
  • SANDBERG: That’s definitely how I feel right now, yeah. (Laughs.) I started my Shazam journey right after Annabelle: Creation in 2017, and so it’s been quite a few years of just Shazam. So I’m very ready to move on and go back to horror and just try some other things.
  • THR: Are you going to follow Walter Hamada to Paramount and set something up there? Or are you going to accompany James Wan to Universal? Both of your producers have scattered a bit.
  • SANDBERG: Either one would be great. I actually have one project in development with James. It’s not at Universal, but it’s with his company, Atomic Monster. And I have been talking a lot with Walter about finding something to do together. I’ve worked with Walter on every single one of my movies so far. I’ve never made a movie without him, so I would love to do more with Walt.

Now that would be sad to see a solid director like Sandberg that cares about the moviegoer experience leave out from further DC projects.

I went to see this last night, and really enjoyed it. My kids (age 15 and 17) went with me and also liked it, even though they were lukewarm on the first Shazam movie. My son in particular, who feels that the last year or two of comic book movies have been pretty mediocre, thought that this was a big step forward.

In my eyes, this was a solid 7/10. I was a huge childhood fan of Shazam, watching the original TV show, and wearing white towel capes while running around the backyard yelling "Shazam!" and hoping for lightning to strike. I think this movie would be hard to interpret for fans inclined to Marvel's cast-of-thousands CGI battles with the fate of the universe hanging in the balance, or the psychosocial fanatacism of the various Batman movies. To me, this was neither an MCU nor a DCEU film, but a Fawcett film. If you think back to a comic filled with megalomaniacal worms, talking tigers and your crazy Uncle Dudley who can also become Captain Marvel, then you're closer to understanding where this movie is positioned. And if the MCU draws on films like Star Wars or The Guns of Navarone as its inspirations, and the DCEU models Seven or Inglorious Basterds, this movie is more Harry Potter or Narnia.

A better marketing campaign might have tried to "play up" the Harry Potter feel, and it seems that this one s struggling to find its audience. But while the critics have this at 53% (per Rotten Tomatoes), the audience score is currently at 87%, so there may yet be a chance for word of mouth to help a bit.

There are some weak spots... I thought Lucy Liu was pretty disappointing, and it won't win any awards for its predictable plot and pacing. Sometimes, the director seems to struggle with where to put all the characters on the set. But overall, this was a happy, goofy, magic romp filled with crazy ideas, just like Captain Marvel/Shazam was meant to be. And it gives us a great new comic movie tagline with "Taste the rainbow, motherf

:D

On 3/19/2023 at 10:11 AM, Bosco685 said:

This is sad to see happen. If anything, Gunn could have played on a bigger battle coming with Superman and Black Adam wrapping in Shazam in the end.

This film was left to rot my WB.  With the changes in management and direction, they essentially pulled all support for this film, and did minimal marketing. It was clearly just dumped. This left potential audiences with the impression this was a mediocre, final film in a dead franchise, and a dead DCEU. So many decided not to invest any time or money in it.

On 3/19/2023 at 10:22 AM, drotto said:

This film was left to rot my WB.  With the changes in management and direction, they essentially pulled all support for this film, and did minimal marketing. It was clearly just dumped. This left potential audiences with the impression this was a mediocre, final film in a dead franchise, and a dead DCEU. So many decided not to invest any time or money in it.

Unfortunately, those are the facts. Not sure what Zaslav was thinking when he allowed the new CEOs to make those announcements.

These numbers are incredible.

Even Green lantern (2009) and Josh Trank's Fantastic Four (2015) each did better than $50 million domestic in their opening frames.

Ghost Rider did $45+ million back in 2007 - and that movie was garbage.

On 3/19/2023 at 12:35 PM, drotto said:

This performance disappoints me, because I really enjoyed the first one.

Same. This movie isn't worse than Black Adam, Morbius, Harley Quinn etc. but will be one of the lowest money making superhero movies of all time. Super hero fatigue? James Gunn rebooting the DC universe? Bad story? Bad trailers? Not enough advertising?  Maybe it's a mixture of all these things on why it flopped so hard.