• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WB's SHAZAM 2 starring Zackary Levi (4/1/22)
1 1

696 posts in this topic

On 3/1/2023 at 9:08 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

Since they already announced that they're rebooting, I say there's no chance that this makes enough to be a part of the new DCU. Which isn't even new... Because there's remains of the old DCEU...

Sadly, I agree it likely won’t make enough.     However I hope to see a new version of Shazam in the DCU.   Gunn sensibility would be perfect for the Shazam Universe with its talking Tiger, worm mastermind, and uncle Dudley. 

Edited by eastriver400

On 3/1/2023 at 9:46 AM, eastriver400 said:

Sadly, I agree it likely won’t make enough.     However I hope to see a new version of Shazam in the DCU.   Gunn sensibility would be perfect for the Shazam Universe with its talking Tigers, worm masterminds, and uncle Dudley.

Gunn would probably be a good fit for Shazam, yes.

On 3/1/2023 at 8:11 AM, 1Cool said:

I do agree the budgets for movies will have to be trimmed quite a bit since the box office numbers for 99% of movies just doesn't allow for $250 million budgets. But if Cocaine Bear can make good money without any really stars then maybe every movie doesn't need one person making 30 - 40 million to act in it.  100 million is a LOT of money if you are not paying a few actors 20 million and instead invest in great scripts and unknown but talented actors.

I don't think salaries were a huge part of Shazam's $100 million budget. The special effects, the sets, the zillions of people working on a movie like that are just incredibly expensive. Joker had no special effects, Phoenix made $4.5 million, I assume De Niro made a bit less, the rest of the movie cost $50-55 million, and the rest of the cast likely got paid peanuts. A union production winds up having a lot of required costs.  And these movies usually do not do well without some known talent, so that's probably a non-starter. According to this the Shazam salaries are not that crazy: https://www.showbizgalore.com/shazam-fury-of-the-gods-starcast-and-their-salary/  Also, Cocaine Bear has grossed $30 million. It cost $30 million to make. While it is going to turn a profit, it hasn't done it yet. And it has Kerri Russel in it! (As well as Ray Liota RIP). Kerri Russel is at least as big a name as Zach Levi was.

Edited by the blob

On 3/1/2023 at 12:36 PM, the blob said:

I don't think salaries were a huge part of Shazam's $100 million budget. The special effects, the sets, the zillions of people working on a movie like that are just incredibly expensive. Joker had no special effects, Phoenix made $4.5 million, I assume De Niro made a bit less, the rest of the movie cost $50-55 million, and the rest of the cast likely got paid peanuts. A union production winds up having a lot of required costs.  And these movies usually do not do well without some known talent, so that's probably a non-starter. According to this the Shazam salaries are not that crazy: https://www.showbizgalore.com/shazam-fury-of-the-gods-starcast-and-their-salary/

I agree and that is why Shazam is seen as a successful movie (like you posted earlier).  If they would have tried to get a big name actor who commanded big money the movie would have been a bust.  I hope Hollywood is starting to see it doesn't need big name people to make great movies - -script is way more important than having Brad Pitt in a movie.

On 3/1/2023 at 12:42 PM, 1Cool said:

I agree and that is why Shazam is seen as a successful movie (like you posted earlier).  If they would have tried to get a big name actor who commanded big money the movie would have been a bust.  I hope Hollywood is starting to see it doesn't need big name people to make great movies - --script is way more important than having Brad Pitt in a movie.

Outside of ScarJo the Marvel movies did not have such big names (and was she even that big then?). RDJ was a faded star. Paul Rudd? Hemsworth became a star as Thor. Cumbersnatch? Higgilsten? Ruffalo was an indie film guy. Captain america? I can't even remember his name. They became stars and got expensive. 

On 3/1/2023 at 1:02 PM, the blob said:

Outside of ScarJo the Marvel movies did not have such big names (and was she even that big then?). RDJ was a faded star. Paul Rudd? Hemsworth became a star as Thor. Cumbersnatch? Higgilsten? Ruffalo was an indie film guy. Captain america? I can't even remember his name. They became stars and got expensive. 

One of the best thing Marvel did was lock those guys into a salary for the entire run of movies.  Now that they are requiring a salary bump we will see how imaginative Marvel is at developing the next batch of future stars.  I wonder how long it will take for RDJ to be back asking for a few million per movie after the Iron Man gravy train is done.

On 3/1/2023 at 1:53 PM, the blob said:

He was a B lister is my point. Generic pretty boy.

B-lister - maybe, but he had a solid dozen movies under his belt before Captain America dropped and several of these were serious (non-teen, non comic book) parts.

He had two solid dramatic supporting roles drop in 2007-2008 alone - in Sunshine (when I first realized he could act) and in Street Kings. 

On 3/1/2023 at 2:40 PM, Gatsby77 said:

B-lister - maybe, but he had a solid dozen movies under his belt before Captain America dropped and several of these were serious (non-teen, non comic book) parts.

He had two solid dramatic supporting roles drop in 2007-2008 alone - in Sunshine (when I first realized he could act) and in Street Kings. 

He was paid $300K for Captain America 1. He got the big paychecks later.

On 3/1/2023 at 3:54 PM, the blob said:

He was paid $300K for Captain America 1. He got the big paychecks later.

Yeah - but he wasn't a non-entity.

It's sort of like arguing Ryan Reynolds wasn't a star until he played Deadpool.

Which is true...

If you ignore:

• Green Lantern
  • Safe House
  • Buried
  • The Proposal
  • Van Wilder
  • Definitely, Maybe
  • Just Friends
  • Waiting
  • The Amityville Horror
  • Blade Trinity

etc.

On 3/1/2023 at 4:41 PM, Gatsby77 said:

Yeah - but he wasn't a non-entity.

It's sort of like arguing Ryan Reynolds wasn't a star until he played Deadpool.

Which is true...

If you ignore:

• Green Lantern
  • Safe House
  • Buried
  • The Proposal
  • Van Wilder
  • Definitely, Maybe
  • Just Friends
  • Waiting
  • The Amityville Horror
  • Blade Trinity

etc.

This all began with 1cool talking about paying big stars $20-30 million blowing up the budgets on these movies and why can't we make $40 million movies. These movies wind up costing $100 million + even when they pay the star $300K because of the special effects. Joker cost $60 million or whatever because it didn't really have any. If Chris Evans was only paid $300K he was not a big star, just one of a zillion pretty boys you've seen in stuff.

On 3/1/2023 at 5:08 PM, the blob said:

This all began with 1cool talking about paying big stars $20-30 million blowing up the budgets on these movies and why can't we make $40 million movies. These movies wind up costing $100 million + even when they pay the star $300K because of the special effects. Joker cost $60 million or whatever because it didn't really have any. If Chris Evans was only paid $300K he was not a big star, just one of a zillion pretty boys you've seen in stuff.

Sure.

But like it or not - Chris Evans is now a bonafide action star - as are Gal Gadot, Robert Downey, Jr., Chris Hemsworth, etc.

Both Evans and Gadot were paid at least $15 million each for their last non-superhero action films (The Gray Man and Red Notice, respectively).

Which means they're effectively now priced out of the very ensemble superhero team films that made them A-list stars in the first place.

So we comics fans can't have it both ways.

Either we make do with newer, lesser-known characters from the last 25 years -- or we let both the MCU and DCEU recast the A-list characters - again with younger unknowns.

Realistically, there's no third choice.

On 3/1/2023 at 5:39 PM, Gatsby77 said:

Sure.

But like it or not - Chris Evans is now a bonafide action star - as are Gal Gadot, Robert Downey, Jr., Chris Hemsworth, etc.

Both Evans and Gadot were paid at least $15 million each for their last non-superhero action films (The Gray Man and Red Notice, respectively).

Which means they're effectively now priced out of the very ensemble superhero team films that made them A-list stars in the first place.

So we comics fans can't have it both ways.

Either we make do with newer, lesser-known characters from the last 25 years -- or we let both the MCU and DCEU recast the A-list characters - again with younger unknowns.

Realistically, there's no third choice.

They're only priced out of the movies that don't do that well. If Thor Love and Thunder can make $761 million then a lot of movies can.