• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WB's SHAZAM 2 starring Zackary Levi (4/1/22)
1 1

696 posts in this topic

On 3/15/2023 at 6:29 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

Call from dad today, he had no idea that I was to see his favorite childhood comic in movie form today! I'll report back to him after prescreen tonight. Lots of peace going in, and hoping for the time we'll spent.

IMG_20230315_182050170.jpg

Peaceful, at times whimsical, child like Faith. Mostly got a kick out of the audience silent awe of the film. Told my dad fear not they got the love right.

On 3/15/2023 at 10:18 PM, Jaydogrules said:

But twitter loves it.  🤷‍♀️

-J.

It does! But with indicating where there are points to improve upon.

David F. Sandberg’s long-awaited sequel Shazam! Fury of the Gods is finally here and it’s just as hilarious and endearing as the first. The Lights Out and Annabelle: Creation director continues his streak of superhero greatness with this heartfelt new chapter of the Shazam story. Shazam! Fury of the Gods is totally entertaining from start to finish, as this entertaining comic-book ride is full of twists and fun surprises that will have DC fans buzzing after the film. 

Twists and turns galore, Shazam! Fury of the Gods is a worthy follow-up that expands on DC mythology in exciting ways. Director David F. Sandberg and writers Henry Gayden and Chris Morgan continue to strike gold with their unique opportunity of being able to write young kids as supposedly fully-functioning adult superheroes. Despite its minor flaws, this sequel more than makes up for it with pure joy and will surely be embraced by many over time. DC fans will be left wondering where Shazam and his supporting cast go next under James Gunn and Peter Safran’s DCU regime, and Shazam! Fury of the Gods makes it clear that it would be a huge shame to throw such a unique and lively set of characters away.  

On 3/17/2023 at 3:40 AM, Mr.TawkyTawny said:

All the hard core Fawcett Captain Marvel subtext is once again meticulously woven throughout the film for joyous cheers and Michael Gray seals the deal once and for all on the legal arguments over Shazam's true name. :foryou:

I had just read an article about this. Very cool.

This Shazam 2 Easter Egg Shouts Out A Character Name Shared By Marvel And DC

Spoiler

But between the epic battles and vengeful goddesses, there's also a brief mention of Shazam's original name in the film. At one point, none other than Michael Gray from the old Shazam TV show tells Levi's hero: "You're the best, Captain Marvel!" And according to director David F. Sandberg, he didn't think he'd actually get that Easter egg past DC.

/Film's Jenna Busch joined other journalists in a post-screening Q&A with "Shazam! Fury of the Gods" director David F. Sandberg, where he explained how he managed to get the Captain Marvel name in his movie:

"[Michael Gray] actually said something different there, I don't remember what, but on the day, I was like, 'Let's do some options. They're never going to let us put this in the movie, but call him Captain Marvel.' But then DC was like 'Yeah, I mean, 'Eternals' mentioned Batman or Superman and stuff like that, so why not put it in the movie?'"

:applause:

On 3/17/2023 at 11:39 AM, paperheart said:

DOA

image.png.152d96f8984be8fdb0e35be8d1ad5749.png

Well I hope it does a lot better.  I went last night and my theatre wasn't full at all.  Overall I give it a 6.5/10.  I'll post my review under.

Spoiler

So although I liked the film it had a good amount it could've done better on.  They definitely dialed up the Shazam goofiness on this one as it reminded me of Thor in Thor Ragnarok (wasn't a fan of that film), though I will admit some jokes did land pretty good (still cracking up with Steve and the letters).  It would've been nice to see him more serious but also it would've been nice to see Billy and the family more without being super heroes.  Compared to the first film Billy was in this one about a fifth (maybe even less) of the screen time, Billy and his story in the first one was one of the strongest parts of that film to me. I enjoyed the plot with Billy clinging on to tight to his family since he was afraid he'd lose them it made sense and I would've liked more time to explore that.

I wasn't a fan of Freddy and his girlfriend.  I didn't feel like that needed as much screen time as it got. I also didn't think they needed to kill Shazam off at the end but I understand they wanted the Wonder Woman appearance.  I did like how they had Shazam fight the villain by himself at the end, I think it really showed how he grew as a leader.  Overall not bad just should've gotten rid of some goofy stuff in this film and it could've been better than the 1st.   

With the release of the sequel to 2019's surprise hit Shazam!, it feels worthwhile to dig into the saga of Mary Marvel — the first female spin-off superhero, whose creation predates that of Supergirl by almost two decades. With both the new film and the recent DC comic series New Champion of Shazam, Mary is finally taking on a bigger role worthy of her long, important history.

Unlike Billy and Freddie, Mary didn't grow older or significantly change when she said her magic word — she just got an awesome outfit and superpowers of her own. But who needs to change when you already look like Judy Garland? Even Mary Marvel's creators acknowledged that the star of The Wizard of Oz was the model for their character's look. 

"Making comic characters resemble well-known people (without actually saying so) made them instantly acceptable to readers," Beck explained in a piece for the Fawcett Collectors of America newsletter, eventually collected in The Fawcett Companion. 

17366601_Screenshot_20230318-0657032.thumb.png.1f0d140516105b8ef359b4d179dfe4b8.png

Deadline still clinging to its own fake news about the first shazam "netting"  $75M in "profits", in a truly sad cope article, and how it totally makes sense that they would make a sequel to such a hugely popular character and movie that everybody loved and clearly wanted to see more of (!), based on a completely made up $155M in "home video" sales that never actually happened or even could have happened by the time they published their fake news.

Basically, the same kind of boot licking BS "creative accounting" they tried to use to show that Black Adam was "profitable".  :eyeroll:

All three of these misguided movies have lost money.  I would say that the geniuses who green lit them all should be fired, but they already have been.  

-J.

Edited by Jaydogrules

On 3/18/2023 at 8:56 AM, Bosco685 said:

If that was an attempt at sarcasm it didn't come through as such.  I read that and it makes me not really want to see this movie because it "reads" as if all he cared about was the "phat lewt" he got paid and he knew it was a stinker.

On 3/18/2023 at 4:13 PM, media_junkie said:

If that was an attempt at sarcasm it didn't come through as such.  I read that and it makes me not really want to see this movie because it "reads" as if all he cared about was the "phat lewt" he got paid and he knew it was a stinker.

Was it even him or someone posing as him online?

On 3/18/2023 at 5:16 PM, D84 said:

Was it even him or someone posing as him online?

I checked that on Reddit after seeing that post float around this morning. David Sandberg has a link off his main site of all his social media profiles.

David F. Sandberg main site

Click here for a full list of where to find me online

Sandberg.PNG.87f09e804fd1a68064c8893ea332623f.PNG

Unless his Reddit account has been hacked, it is noted as his account.

Edited by Bosco685