• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Disney+ LOKI (2021)
12 12

794 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

Episode 5 was my favorite episode of the Disney Plus shows...and episode 6 blew episode 5 away.  (worship)  The actor playing Kang is HUGELY likable, loved loved LOVED him and I LOVE his take on the character.  So glad they decided to have him in the entire episode.  :cloud9:

The finale looks like it is pointing the entirety of Phase 4 straight towards Multiverse of Madness and No Way Out, but I'm EXTREMLY confused about something.  Look at the original pre-Covid release order of the content in the picture below.  Note that it shows Multiverse of Madness being released BEFORE Loki.  Doesn't that tell us something about the loose ends from the finale?  It looks as if that finale set up a big conflict between multiverses, but how does that fit if it occurs AFTER Multiverse of Madness?  ???  Did they change the Loki finale given the new ordering, or was it always going to happen like we just saw it happen?  hm

Also, I need to re-watch the episode.  Did Kang make a reference to Shuma-Gorath without using his name, or is every reference he made warning about the danger of letting the timelines play out without the TVA pruning them entirely about variants of himself and the cloud-monster Alioth?  (shrug)

1163272717.jpg.5.jpg

I think setting up the contrast between the Kang we met and the variants to come is the main reason we got to meet him. May or may not have been a scheduling rewrite. 

51 minutes ago, zosocane said:

That was Immortus (Avengers #10, first appearance).  Minus the headdress-thing, the costume was very close to the comics.  I suspect the studio decided against calling him Immortus so as not to confuse general audiences when Kang is ultimately rolled out.

I've always called them all Kang just to keep things simple.  I'm generally aware Immortus is the 31st century version of the character, Kang is the time-traveler, Rama-Tut is the version who went back to ancient Egypt to rule, and maybe there are more.  Why did his name keep changing?  Should I just read Avengers 8 through 10, does that explain him fully in a way that fits with modern incarnations?

I was really pleased with this show. The finale, especially, introduced Kang in a great way, sticking with "He Who Remains" while slyly referring to "Conqueror" for the comics fans, continuing the MCU tradition of sometimes being coy with the traditional names at times. Really good setup for Season 2, and for what comes next in the MCU more broadly.

37 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

I've always called them all Kang just to keep things simple.  I'm generally aware Immortus is the 31st century version of the character, Kang is the time-traveler, Rama-Tut is the version who went back to ancient Egypt to rule, and maybe there are more.  Why did his name keep changing?  Should I just read Avengers 8 through 10, does that explain him fully in a way that fits with modern incarnations?

No.

You're gonna need trade paperbacks.
There's some cool, if-not-confusing, stories with Kang out there.

Avengers has a lot of his appearances. Here are some to recommend:

Avengers 23/24 (Ravonna)  69-71 (Kang & Grandmaster)  128-132 Plus Giant Size #2 & #3 (This is a big storyline with lots of moving parts)  267-269 (Kang & Immortus)
Citizen Kang - story that crosses into four 1992 annuals, Avengers Forever (Busiek & Pacheco - 12 issues & Kang-centric)
Avengers 1997 Series 38-55 (The Kang War. Huuuuuge story by Busiek. Alan Davis does about 7 issues)
Uncanny Avengers has a couple of storylines by Remender.
Young Avengers
1-12
Avengers 2017 Series 1-6 (Story by Waid)

That ain't everything, but it'll get you the big stuff...

2 hours ago, letsgrumble said:

In the final minutes of the show, I thought Mobius said "Annihilus" but I watched the scene again and he asked "are you an analyst?"  :eek:

IMG_5979.thumb.JPG.d63ec47d3293432954c5b2d7912e5363.JPG

These shows want us to get the entire Marvel portfolio. All of it!

7 hours ago, jsilverjanet said:

He was a chatter box 

i guess 

I think that was the point.  The chatterbox was the benevolent Kang.  But, what is coming will not be such a chatterbox and thus, not so benevolent either. 

Are we to assume that the branch Loki was sent back to was one where he never picked up the Tesseract and was arrested by the TVA?  That seems like the simplest explanation for why Mobius didn't know who he was.  Not sure where they're going with that idea...his very presence back at the TVA makes that quite weird.

Edited by fantastic_four

This was definitely the crown jewel of the Marvel Disney+ line up so far. The citadel was gorgeous set work and the multiverse diverging in the background was amazingly cosmic. Johnathan Majors stole the whole episode. His slightly jaunty manic take on Immortus was great. Seeing him as the concise and clinical Kang is going to be such a departure that it will feel like totally seperate people. I'm wondering how many other variant Nathaniel Richards we'll see. I imagine with how heavily they're setting up Young Avengers Iron Lad is a lock even though it won't be Majors in the role. I wouldn't mind Rama Tut showing up somehow maybe some hieroglyphs or a temple in Moon Knight? 

From the comics I always that he was more actions speak louder than words and I’ll be honest sometimes in the final episode it fell in the category of buffoonery 

im used to that with villains like the Joker not for someone like the one we saw here

well keep in mind this was the "good" version of the character. The others, maybe not so friendly. 

4 hours ago, HighVoltage said:

No.

You're gonna need trade paperbacks.
There's some cool, if-not-confusing, stories with Kang out there.

Avengers has a lot of his appearances. Here are some to recommend:

Avengers 23/24 (Ravonna)  69-71 (Kang & Grandmaster)  128-132 Plus Giant Size #2 & #3 (This is a big storyline with lots of moving parts)  267-269 (Kang & Immortus)
Citizen Kang - story that crosses into four 1992 annuals, Avengers Forever (Busiek & Pacheco - 12 issues & Kang-centric)
Avengers 1997 Series 38-55 (The Kang War. Huuuuuge story by Busiek. Alan Davis does about 7 issues)
Uncanny Avengers has a couple of storylines by Remender.
Young Avengers
1-12
Avengers 2017 Series 1-6 (Story by Waid)

That ain't everything, but it'll get you the big stuff...

I read through quite a bit of that, but I saw no explanation for why Immortus and Kang would have different names.  Do they have different names because it was a ret-con to merge the two characters together, or did someone give another reason at some point?

From the comics I always that he was more actions speak louder than words and I’ll be honest sometimes in the final episode it fell in the category of buffoonery 

im used to that with villains like the Joker not for someone like the one we saw here

This was Immortus. He's always like this. It's why Kang hates him so much, because he doesn't want to turn into a yammering old man.

:cloud9:

Kang has been my favorite villain since I started reading comics, so I'm over the moon. 

I think it's been pointed out, but the story in Avengers #267-269 was clearly the foundation for this.  Details obviously different due to the MCU, but the bones are there.

Spoiler

In particular, that storyline features Ravonna working with Immortus against Kang. Note in episode 6 that right after she reads the files he wanted her to read, she exits the story for parts unknown. I think she is his ace in the hole to fix things if they go wrong (which they did).

Curious if Avengers #10 goes up from this. If they said thename Immortus it would have gone up 10x already but you have to know the character to understand it's him.

8 minutes ago, Lpgk said:

well keep in mind this was the "good" version of the character. The others, maybe not so friendly. 

Yea, this is the good version at the end of Avengers 269 that pretty closely matches the one from the episode aside from the actor's comedic take.

8-9oY_I7mFlL3RWzDAbifCQ4bCzyRG7AdQWumvrL