• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Disney+ LOKI (2021)
12 12

794 posts in this topic

wifey and daughter disliked the end. daughter hated it, "this is why I don't want to watch Marvel, they just want you to watch the next thing" as well as villains "winning" which she likened to infinity war. I give it a pass for treading water as I expect that from these tv shows. Season 2 will be a tough sell in my household.

I loved the guy we got in this episode. I want a more...colorful...version but this guy did a great job. I saw the meglomaniac in him, I thought he was great.

7 minutes ago, Bird said:

daughter hated it, "this is why I don't want to watch Marvel, they just want you to watch the next thing" as well as villains "winning" which she likened to infinity war.

Was there a clear heroic figure in Loki?  They ALL seemed morally grey from what I could tell.  My guess is that she would say it was Sylvie and possibly Loki, but I can't cast either as heroes in the story, nor can I cast Immortus as a villain or someone who "won" anything since he had a knife plunged into his chest--even if that was his own design.

Is there any reason for us to think Immortus believed anything aside from the fact that Sylvie would kill him?  He kidnapped her as a child and kept her alive, so the way her entire life was controlled seemed aimed at killing him.

Edited by fantastic_four

6 minutes ago, Bird said:

wifey and daughter disliked the end. daughter hated it, "this is why I don't want to watch Marvel, they just want you to watch the next thing" as well as villains "winning" which she likened to infinity war. I give it a pass for treading water as I expect that from these tv shows. Season 2 will be a tough sell in my household.

I loved the guy we got in this episode. I want a more...colorful...version but this guy did a great job. I saw the meglomaniac in him, I thought he was great.

It was the opposite in my house.  They are interested in where Kang will show up next and pretty excited about the ending and seeing that there is a season 2.

3 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

Was there a clear heroic figure in Loki?  They ALL seemed morally grey from what I could tell. 

oddly, I commented earlier in the episode "all 3 of them are villains" and then the character said it as well. I think she would say Loki should win and he kinda came in third place...classic Loki showed a path to redemption that this Loki was already somewhat on and then he got hoodwinked and we get same same bat channel same bat time. that feels cheap, finish the story. But I loved the new guy and how he played it.

19 minutes ago, Bird said:

wifey and daughter disliked the end. daughter hated it, "this is why I don't want to watch Marvel, they just want you to watch the next thing" as well as villains "winning" which she likened to infinity war.

How old is your daughter?  I can understand children rooting for the good guys, but as I've gotten older, I enjoy the occasional "flip of the -script".  I thoroughly enjoyed how Infinity War played out.  Every major movie franchise plays out the same.  The hero struggles before ultimately winning.  We don't worry about whether or not James Bond will survive, it's a foregone conclusion.  So to see our traditional heroes fail, was a great deviation from the norm.  Alternatively, I've always maintained that Infinity War isn't even an Avengers film, it's a Thanos film.  "The villain is the hero of their own story."  At the end of every Marvel film, it says "<title hero/team> will return."  In Infinity War, it clearly says "Thanos will return".  The story opens on Thanos, it closes on Thanos.  His character arc, his emotions, are the major revelations.  It's his movie.

As for the long game these movies play, it's one of the things that makes them so popular.  People have mentioned how it's exhausting keeping up, but at the same time for fans, it's an absolute delight.  Eventually though, I can see a point similar to comics where new casual fans ask "where do I start reading?"  Where do we tell people to start watching Marvel films?  Will they have to watch all 22 films plus TV shows?

1 minute ago, ExNihilo said:

How old is your daughter?  I

1 minute ago, ExNihilo said:

I can see a point similar to comics

I laughed to myself as she talked as it seemed to echo fandoms reaction back in the day..."suddenly it is all these subplots and continued next times when in Thor and Dr Strange you got a lot of action and it was straightforward" was some of what she said. My older daughter said she was out at End Game...says she doesn't want to watch a 20 year long movie. At least we all love Umbrella Academy!

1 hour ago, fantastic_four said:

Are we to assume that the branch Loki was sent back to was one where he never picked up the Tesseract and was arrested by the TVA?  That seems like the simplest explanation for why Mobius didn't know who he was.  Not sure where they're going with that idea...his very presence back at the TVA makes that quite weird.

I think you are right.  I believe that Marvel wants to bring Loki back into the mainline MCU and that might have been the way.  Out of all of the old contracts, Evans, Downey Jr, ScarJo...   Hemsworth and Hiddleston have expressed a lot of interest in continuing their portrayal of their respective characters.  We can thank Taika Waititi for that.  So, I am guessing as long as we want to see them, and they are having fun playing the part, Loki and Thor are here to stay and it would be a shame not to have them part of the mainline MCU. 

46 minutes ago, Broke as a Joke said:

Is Kang going to last longer than his ant man 3 appearance or will that be the conclusion of his arc?  

Dude, he is in for the long haul.  He is the enemy for Antman 3, the enemy for Loki 2, and will play a HUGE part in Young Avengers... He is pretty much the next Loki.  we are about to see a ton of him.  

Edited by Wolverinex

2 hours ago, AJLewandoski said:

This was definitely the crown jewel of the Marvel Disney+ line up so far. The citadel was gorgeous set work and the multiverse diverging in the background was amazingly cosmic. Johnathan Majors stole the whole episode. His slightly jaunty manic take on Immortus was great. Seeing him as the concise and clinical Kang is going to be such a departure that it will feel like totally seperate people. I'm wondering how many other variant Nathaniel Richards we'll see. I imagine with how heavily they're setting up Young Avengers Iron Lad is a lock even though it won't be Majors in the role. I wouldn't mind Rama Tut showing up somehow maybe some hieroglyphs or a temple in Moon Knight? 

1 hour ago, Crimebuster said:

This was Immortus. He's always like this. It's why Kang hates him so much, because he doesn't want to turn into a yammering old man.

:cloud9:

Kang has been my favorite villain since I started reading comics, so I'm over the moon. 

I think it's been pointed out, but the story in Avengers #267-269 was clearly the foundation for this.  Details obviously different due to the MCU, but the bones are there.

Hide contents

In particular, that storyline features Ravonna working with Immortus against Kang. Note in episode 6 that right after she reads the files he wanted her to read, she exits the story for parts unknown. I think she is his ace in the hole to fix things if they go wrong (which they did).

Curious if Avengers #10 goes up from this. If they said thename Immortus it would have gone up 10x already but you have to know the character to understand it's him.

I am  also  incredibly excited about Kang showing up and no more teases... Excellent job Marvel..Loved seeing the "good" version of Kang because it's going to be amazing see the "evil" versions show up.   It's going to be amazing.  Btw,  Avengers 8 has gone global as of today.  7.0 just sold for $4,000 up from 1,000 6 months ago

4 hours ago, Broke as a Joke said:

Anyone catch who the broken statue was?  Almost looked like an Iron Man helmet on the ground.   I'll have to watch it again to look.

Iron Lad aka Nathaniel Richards?  I don't know.  A lot to unpack after today's pulse-pounding episode.

1 hour ago, ExNihilo said:

Endgame was honestly a great exit point for casual fans who didn't want to potentially invest in another 10 years of stories.

And collectors who don't want to invest in Marvel funny books for another 10 years.  :roflmao:

7 minutes ago, zosocane said:

And collectors who don't want to invest in Marvel funny books for another 10 years.  :roflmao:

Marvel did us a HUGE solid doing this episode.... my friends and family who didn't know Kang were not as impressed but everybody who knew who he was pretty much went crazy the moment Jonathan Majors walked out. And he killed it.

Our household is loving this series. After the end of the 4th episode things have been great. Big thumbs up moving forward. Although I was hoping for some kind of after the credits sequence.

6 minutes ago, Xenosmilus said:

I was indifferent with Jonathan Majors as Kang.  TBH I don't know Kang very well so I don't know if it's a good portrayal or not.  I'll take y'all's word for it if it was.

I liked Majors but he wasn't exactly Kang. I hope and expect that the way he portrays that character will be very different from He Who Remains; I liked when they asked what he was afraid of he thought and answered "me". I expect a more ferocious aggressive person who won't be lounging about at this guy did; it will be alpha male posing and posturing and fighting and shooting. Hopefully purple/blue as well like Nebula.

In the comics, at least at one point, wasn't it speculated that Dr Doom was also Kang/Immortus/Rama Tut/Nathaniel Richards/etc? That would be a nice backdoor to bring Doom in.

Edited by Bird