• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Disney+ LOKI (2021)
12 12

794 posts in this topic

On 7/19/2021 at 12:49 PM, theCapraAegagrus said:

Anyone interested in handing out Razzies for Phase 4?

We finished Loki last night, my wife looks at me and asks if that was the last episode of the season, because not much seemed to happen,  and nothing was resolved.

I enjoyed ther series, but in the end it only did two things. Gave us a version of Kang,  and opened up the multiverse.   It really seems like the bulk of the Disney + stuff has been setting up the next Dr Strange. That feels like the next MCU offering where something is actually going to happen. 

These series are falling into a rut I was afraid of.  They can not do too much in fear of losing viewers who either do not have access to the shows, or do not care to watch them. They are interesting side stories, but not doing anything overly vital to the main storyline.

On 7/19/2021 at 12:57 PM, drotto said:

We finished Loki last night, my wife looks at me and asks if that was the last episode of the season, because not much seemed to happen,  and nothing was resolved.

I enjoyed ther series, but in the end it only did two things. Gave us a version of Kang,  and opened up the multiverse.   It really seems like the bulk of the Disney + stuff has been setting up the next Dr Strange. That feels like the next MCU offering where something is actually going to happen. 

These series are falling into a rut I was afraid of.  They can not do too much in fear of losing viewers who either do not have access to the shows, or do not care to watch them. They are interesting side stories, but not doing anything overly vital to the main storyline.

None of the series/season finales were good. WandaVision gives you the appearance that she completed the stages of grief for Vision, but if she uses the Darkhold for personal gain then she really learned nothing and it was all for naught. F&WS, you have someone give exposition of the entire plot. Loki, you just went in circles, but at least it did verifiably open the multiverse. Loki will also have a sequel season, so wrapping everything up was never its MO.

On 7/19/2021 at 12:57 PM, drotto said:

On 7/19/2021 at 1:03 PM, theCapraAegagrus said:

None of the series/season finales were good. WandaVision gives you the appearance that she completed the stages of grief for Vision, but if she uses the Darkhold for personal gain then she really learned nothing and it was all for naught. F&WS, you have someone give exposition of the entire plot. Loki, you just went in circles, but at least it did verifiably open the multiverse. Loki will also have a sequel season, so wrapping everything up was never its MO.

I would like to recommend Don Cheadle for a major award for a 2 minute appearance in one of these shows.

don_cheadle.png.c79f2a18855a2b0498c72dc9b52cff6b.png

Oh wait. That happened already.

(:

On 7/19/2021 at 1:46 PM, Bosco685 said:

I would like to recommend Don Cheadle for a major award for a 2 minute appearance in one of these shows.

don_cheadle.png.c79f2a18855a2b0498c72dc9b52cff6b.png

Oh wait. That happened already.

(:

The Hollywood Disney a## kissing has reached new heights recently. 

Edited by drotto

On 7/19/2021 at 1:51 PM, Bosco685 said:

Even crazier - if he wins and has to go up there to accept the award.

emotion01.gif.319c839531e27b0ed197b278249ff48d.gif

"HI, I would like to thank the academy for this award for my performance, that was so brief I am not sure what I even did. But thanks, the mouse will release you loved ones at the end of the ceremony."

Edited by drotto

Binged the last couple of episodes for Loki and while agree, not a closure finish, definitely setting up future things and also stated a Season 2 of Loki is coming. When not sure but getting more excited for the Multi-verse if it doesn't confuse things too much. 

On 7/18/2021 at 8:58 AM, Heronext said:

Liked the series a lot.  Biggest issue was, they presented a 'Wow' moment when Kang is killed, causing the timelines/multiverse to go nuts.  Hadn't the writers already used that trick in episode 2, when Sylvie bombed the timeline?  They never really showed the consequences of that.

Many of these shows would benefit from more editing. I'm not sure I've seen a perfect show, other than perhaps Mad Men.

I consider Breaking Bad and maybe Better Call Saul to be perfect. Each season is very well written with oustanding character development. Also, the storyline are never predictable. 

On 7/19/2021 at 7:03 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

I think of the three, Loki was definitely the best of the bunch, and I probably had the lowest expectations of the three. TBH, I didn't really care of the character of Loki much in the movies, but after the series I definitely feel more invested in him, and that's a testament to the writing and character development. The series had three memorable moments for me: the various Loki's in the Void, Mobius and Loki's embrace and the intro of Kang. I don't recall any huge moments in the other two Disney+ shows, but still they were very good. Definitely better than Black Widow, that's for sure. 

Loki viewers think the Fantastic Four make a flyby in the first season finale of the Marvel Studios series, which launches with an Easter egg director Kate Herron says Marvel fans will recognize. Spoilers for Loki Episode 6, "For All Time. Always." Before Loki (Tom Hiddleston) and Sylvie (Sophia Di Martino) encounter He Who Remains (Jonathan Majors) in the Citadel at the End of Time, the episode opens with an audio montage blending iconic quotes from our real-world history and the history of the Marvel Cinematic Universe. But one Easter egg that rockets past could reference the future of the MCU — now the Marvel Cinematic Multiverse.

When the Loki-green Marvel Studios opening logo gives way to our galaxy, the camera pulls back to reveal a drifting satellite just as an unidentified spacecraft rockets past the camera. Listen closely, and you'll hear the voice of astronaut Neil Armstrong utter "one small step for man" as he sets foot on the Moon.

On 7/19/2021 at 5:52 PM, Lpgk said:

I think of the three, Loki was definitely the best of the bunch, and I probably had the lowest expectations of the three. TBH, I didn't really care of the character of Loki much in the movies, but after the series I definitely feel more invested in him, and that's a testament to the writing and character development. The series had three memorable moments for me: the various Loki's in the Void, Mobius and Loki's embrace and the intro of Kang. I don't recall any huge moments in the other two Disney+ shows, but still they were very good. Definitely better than Black Widow, that's for sure. 

I liked the show, but I liked this version of Loki less.  I missed the arrogance, the self assuredness, the sass, and the snark.  He felt very toned down and way to introspective to me in this version. Previous Loki would never be a love sick puppy (even for himself). Plus, Loki was never hesitant to use his powers, and he barely flexed a muscle in this series (not the old version, who was the best version of Loki in the series). Now, I partially write this off as being a variant version of Loki, and not the one that died at the Hands of Thanos. This is a very different Loki than we have see thus far from Hiddleston. I liked the older version better. 

This show turned Loki into the MCU version of Doctor Who.

On 7/19/2021 at 12:30 PM, @therealsilvermane said:

With the three Disney+ MCU shows, that finish storylines begun in Infinity War/Endgame, now behind us, my Best of the Disney+ MCU Shows awards go to...

Best Disney+ MCU Super-Duo is Wanda and Vision. Moreso than Sam and Bucky or Loki and Sylvie. One of the main reasons for WandaVision was to explore the bond between Marvel's favorite couple, but the show also explored it from several scenarios: as a married TV couple, as Avengers, as enemies, as long lost lovers. But still the...

Best Disney+ MCU Romance is Loki and Sylvie. Yes, more than Wanda and Vision's TV home life or Sam and Bucky' bromance. WandaVision was less a romance and more Wanda and Vision trying to build a happy home. With Loki and Sylvie, there's the absurdity of it, but we also saw them meet, spend real time with each other and build towards an emotional bond in Episodes 3 and 4, we saw the first time they fell for each other on Lamentis in Ep 5, and we saw their first kiss in Ep 6. And their romance had consequences not only for them, but for the future of the MCU.

Best Disney+ MCU Action Choreography is The Falcon and the Winter Soldier. Given that our characters in FWS aren't magicians, Infinity stone powered androids, or gods, they had to use a lot of hand-to-hand combat making for an obvious pick for best action scenes.

Best Disney+ MCU Super-hero Power-up Scene is Sam Wilson Training With the Shield. More than Wanda becoming the Scarlet Witch or Loki getting a heart, the main point of FWS was for this moment, for Sam to really finally accept the mantle of Captain America. We spent the whole show before seeing how Sam was  worthy on the inside, and now got to see him sling the Shield around, showing he has the physical chops for the job. Plus there's the power of seeing an African-American man take over the role of a character that's now as iconic as Spider-Man or Superman in popular culture.

Best New Super-Powered Character in a Disney+ MCU show is Adult Monica Rambeau. Moreso than John Walker or Sylvie. We got to really know her adult Monica before her power-up and her power-up itself was a great scene.

Best New Villain in a Disney+ MCU show is Kang/Immortus. Even though Loki the show was building towards the character, many of us, freshly stung by WandaVision, were expecting just another Loki or someone else, but they pulled out Kang, and kind of unexpectedly. He had a pretty great intro scene where he got to chew up the scene (but which arguably went on a little long) and the character will have important implications for the future of the MCU, given that he's most probably the new big bad villain after Thanos. Maybe. Or is Kang around to more lead-off this burdgeoning Multiversal War which could unleash a bigger threat?

Best Disney+ MCU Ensemble Scene is the Variant Lokis in the Void. Seeing the different Lokis interact together including Richard E Grant as Classic Loki and an Alligator Loki was pretty classic.

Best Disney+ MCU Series is Loki. I loved all three shows, but Loki had a more streamlined plot/story, better character development, more interesting dialogue, and a better payoff at the end that the show really built towards.

Kang is signed up m for 5 live appearances... so he will be showing up a lot

It seems like the most common issue people have with Loki is that it didn't feel like a series finale or follow the normal arc/finish of a season.

I agree completely that it's not the same, but I still loved it and that's one of the reasons I loved it.

Wandavision was the epilogue. 

Cap & Winter was the prologue. 

Loki is just chapter 1. Trying to view it as a whole book will lead to disappointment, imo.

Ugh - that last episode kind of sucked :(  Ep 4 & 5 were so good on a bunch of levels that I feel extra disappointed with how the series ended.  I really hate how they seem to have morphed the male Loki into a love sick lap dog - so out of character for him that is just seems annoying.  I'll of course watch the second season but a good 1st episode will be necessary to wash the last episode out of my mind.

I'm not sure that Loki as a bit 'love-sick' takes him out of character.  Throughout 'Thor' and 'The Avengers' we see these important moments where Loki is offered a chance for love or affection (mostly from family, however) and he's tempted.  My sense is that he's someone who is desperate to be loved, but can't trust that he will and always pushes it away out of a sense of revenge.  So while I do agree his arc happens quickly -- probably too quickly -- I don't see this as a transformation of the original MCU character.

On 7/20/2021 at 8:14 AM, Drummy said:

I'm not sure that Loki as a bit 'love-sick' takes him out of character.  Throughout 'Thor' and 'The Avengers' we see these important moments where Loki is offered a chance for love or affection (mostly from family, however) and he's tempted.  My sense is that he's someone who is desperate to be loved, but can't trust that he will and always pushes it away out of a sense of revenge.  So while I do agree his arc happens quickly -- probably too quickly -- I don't see this as a transformation of the original MCU character.

He's not bad - he's just drawn that way!

On 7/20/2021 at 10:14 AM, Drummy said:

I would have preferred them showing Loki was not trustworthy rather than telling us he can't be trusted.  Then they made him basically trustworthy for the entire series.