• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THOR 4: LOVE AND THUNDER directed by Taika Waititi (11/5/21)
9 9

960 posts in this topic

On 7/29/2022 at 8:27 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

When Spider-Man makes only $800 MM less than the other 5 movies combined. lol

But, it turned a profit, so it's ahead of the other crap.

On 7/29/2022 at 7:42 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

I was using it as a comparison to disparage the other 5. :) Spider-Man was very good, IMO.

great film, well written story with emotion. The viewer actually cares about the characters!

On 7/29/2022 at 9:27 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

When Spider-Man makes only $800 MM less than the other 5 movies combined. lol

When you take out Spider-Man.  It becomes clear phase 4 has not made a lot of money.  Soaring production and marketing costs with slowly diminishing returns.  Not a long term successful strategy. 

On 7/30/2022 at 9:18 AM, drotto said:

When you take out Spider-Man.  It becomes clear phase 4 has not made a lot of money.  Soaring production and marketing costs with slowly diminishing returns.  Not a long term successful strategy. 

I have a feeling Black Panther will have a strong showing to help bolster the overall returns.  Fingers crossed

On 7/30/2022 at 3:42 PM, gadzukes said:

I have a feeling Black Panther will have a strong showing to help bolster the overall returns.  Fingers crossed

Think Black Panther will track fairly close to MoM at this point.   Will do well, but likely finish in the $900 million range. 

On 7/28/2022 at 10:34 PM, Bosco685 said:

And much of that to fulfill the comedy style of Taika Waititi. And not even in a good way.

An example of 'legacy honor' dismissal has been mentioned already: the Infinity Conez shop.

infinity_icecream.thumb.jpg.6ed14dd2aae69d0297e74f5d72d8e47f.jpg

The entity that destroyed a large portion of the remaining Asgardians - including killing Loki in front of Thor - becomes a fun site to celebrate ice cream without any impact to the people that suffered at his hand?

Really. I can come up with rubbish that’s better and less contentious than that in seconds; Mr Bifrosty Ices, Laufey’s Jotun-Style Ice Cream and Floats.

Edited by Ken Aldred

On 7/31/2022 at 7:12 AM, Ken Aldred said:

Really. I can come up with rubbish that’s better and less contentious than that in seconds; Mr Bifrosty Ices, Laufey’s Jotun-Style Ice Cream and Floats.

Seriously! Those are even more creative without the decimation dismissal  from Waititi.

At least honor the impact of the previous stories.

Edited by Bosco685

On 7/30/2022 at 3:43 PM, drotto said:

Think Black Panther will track fairly close to MoM at this point.   Will do well, but likely finish in the $900 million range. 

I'm going to say Black Panther-less 2 finishes $750-$850MM, and the weak finish will finally force Feige to just recast the damn role if they are going to bother continuing the series.

-J.

As of this writing, the picture carries a 65-percent Fresh rating on Rotten Tomatoes with 140 critics on the aggregator filing "Rotten" reviews for the film. The only Marvel Studios flick with a worse rating is Eternals, which remains the studio's lone film to carry an overall Rotten rating.

Thor: The Dark World was previously the lowest-rated Thor film with a 66-percent Fresh rating. That's now bumped into third place behind Thor: Ragnarok (93-percent) and Thor (77-percent).

On 8/2/2022 at 7:33 AM, Microchip said:

Thor Ragnarok personally really grew on me, and I don't see it happening with Love and Thunder.    The other Thors definitely got a bump up thanks L&T.

I haven't seen Love and Thunder yet, but Ragnarok has some deep moments. I get goosebumps whenever I see the scene between Thor and Odin. "I'm not as strong as you..." "No... You're stronger." There are some very strong character moments in that movie. I wish they would play into those rather than gags that remove all seriousness from every situation.

On 8/2/2022 at 6:45 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

I haven't seen Love and Thunder yet, but Ragnarok has some deep moments. I get goosebumps whenever I see the scene between Thor and Odin. "I'm not as strong as you..." "No... You're stronger." There are some very strong character moments in that movie. I wish they would play into those rather than gags that remove all seriousness from every situation.

There are few strong character moments in Love and Thunder. Those moments that could have been strong are lessened by awful dialogue or some thrown in "comedy" bit that definitely takes the viewer out of the moment due to the removed seriousness.

On 8/2/2022 at 8:45 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

Although later on I was less a fan of Thor: Ragnarok due to its careless handling of key characters and Asgard as throwaway material, it would be hard to ignore the pieces handled right.

The emotional impact of Odin's death on Thor and Loki, the introduction of Hela and Thor discovering his true inner power. Those we're still good story points.

Unfortunately, not so much with Love & Thunder.