• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THOR 4: LOVE AND THUNDER directed by Taika Waititi (11/5/21)
9 9

960 posts in this topic

On 6/30/2022 at 5:07 AM, Larryw7 said:

What is the "bold creative decision"? Does anyone know?

Not having seen it I assumed he just meant the decision to choose Taika as a director twice now.  It was bold because they knew they'd be ticking off hardcore fans who don't want Taika's peanut butter brand of silly humor mixed with the chocolate of a more serious Thor.  We've certainly seen plenty of those types of fans expressing their distaste in this thread and the Ragnarok thread.

Or maybe he's referring to something else that's specific to this film we'll find out about.  (shrug)

On 7/5/2022 at 10:34 AM, Straw-Man said:

getting the feeling this may be a sub-60% r.t. flick, joining eternals.

It's at 74% with 55 reviews in.  With early reviews usually being more favorable the final score is likely to be in the mid-to-high 60% range.

Lots of praise for Christian Bale as Gorr.  That's great to hear and makes me more excited to see the film now.  :popcorn:

On 7/5/2022 at 8:17 AM, Bosco685 said:

doh!

Which means it will make a billion USD and loads of fanatical followers will proclaim THIS is the MCU they have been waiting for.

:fear:

when does the goodwill built up with audiences from the the culmination of Endgame wear off? this will be 5 straight (ex the Sony/MCU hybrid) that hasn't seen a nickel from me (shrug)

On 7/5/2022 at 9:00 AM, D84 said:

"feels like an MCU parody"

"made Thor a dumb:censored:"

Well this review was a downer.  I can handle the MCU comedy thing but I was hoping there'd be less...not more.  I don't know who in the movie focus group said "yes, more stupid comedy please".  Maybe I'm getting old a losing touch with what people want.

***The Infinity War scene where they were talking about Ben & Jerry Ice Cream during an impending doom...that was my line in the sand.

On 7/6/2022 at 10:09 AM, Bosco685 said:

Ouch!

It sounds like Taika, but then for his own films, he always bring's in a solemn edge, and some truly heart-felt moments.   I'm thinking JoJo Rabbit here.     In all this doesn't sound like we're going to be any more impressed with this film, than the Multitude of Muldledness.   

Edited by Microchip

It’s almost hard to believe that Thor: Love and Thunder would amount to anything less than a home run. After Thor: Ragnarok successfully skyrocketed the titular character’s worth back to the top of the Marvel Cinematic Universe, filmmaker Taika Waititi returns (now with an Oscar to his name) with even more creative control and a new Thor by his side. Being a comic reader himself, Waititi chooses to bring Jane Foster’s Mighty Thor to the big screen, allowing star Natalie Portman to claim the superhero glory previous films never gave her. Additionally, moviegoers get a special treat with Christian Bale’s return to the comic book sphere as Gorr the God Butcher, a fan-favorite Thor foe of recent years. Throw in other returning faces like Tessa Thompson’s Valkyrie and even the Guardians of the Galaxy and you have a guaranteed good time at the movies at the very least. Well, in this case, that points to our biggest problem here… even when given the greatest opportunities of them all, Thor: Love and Thunder seemingly chooses to settle for the very least.

By now, it’s not much of an exaggeration to say that Phase 4 of the MCU has been the most divisive so far. Critical reception to these films now mostly relies on whether or not people were convinced that Marvel actually tried to step out of their comfort zone. And as most recently seen with Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness and Eternals before it, when Marvel evidently does try for something new, there are just as many people upset for that change of pace as there are those happy for it. Such is the tricky scenario for an ever-growing franchise that is perhaps now best known for giving dedicated followers exactly what they want. Thor: Love and Thunder feels tailored by this formulaic code in every single way, only this time we won’t be able to point to studio interference for the blame. No, Thor: Love and Thunder is undeniably a Taika Waititi movie through and through, one that highlights both the best and worst of this filmmaker’s tendencies. 

Thor: Love and Thunder will still satisfy many since it does check off almost everything that you could expect from another Taika Waititi Marvel joint. You get more Korg, who is narrating the story now, more self-referential humor, and more action set pieces set to classic rock music. Whereas Thor: Ragnarok almost feels like a magic trick, Waititi proving what can be done with a Thor story in his own unique way, Thor: Love and Thunder feels like a tired act. The needle drops start to lose their charm, and the jokes start to sour a lot quicker, especially when this flick will almost surely be praised for its LGTBQ+ inclusion when, in reality, it’s just more characters talking about their queerness rather than showing it. The film ends on a fascinating note, almost one that makes up for the 2 hours you just saw. You’re not sure if the film’s finale really works at all or not, but it at least makes way for a sequel that will surely be different next time. With the studio and Chris Hemsworth considering more Thor stories on the horizon, you can only hope that you won’t be watching the same movie again.

2.5/5 stars

:whatthe:

I'm really surprised as Discussing Films reviewers are fanatical over MCU films.

On 7/5/2022 at 11:55 AM, AnthonyTheAbyss said:

***The Infinity War scene where they were talking about Ben & Jerry Ice Cream during an impending doom...that was my line in the sand.

Mine was Rhodey's "Cheez Whiz" line from Endgame, but you're right, this one was super-bad too.