• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THOR 4: LOVE AND THUNDER directed by Taika Waititi (11/5/21)
9 9

957 posts in this topic

On 5/26/2022 at 11:57 AM, The Meta said:

I firmly believe Marvel had angry emails about being made sad by the whole thing

You take a moment to really dig into whats happened to Thor over the course of, what 15 years?, you notice his life is extremely tragic.

Arrogant douchecanoe reduced to tragic hero.

People LOATHE feeling their own sadness, with how society is structured now, wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if complaints are the cause of goofy stupid humor being injected into the franchise 

I don't think that's it at all.

Thor:  The Dark World isn't (IMHO) as bad a movie as some say, but it was not as successful as it could have been.  The tonal shift in Thor:  Ragnarok seems to be a direct result of that -- obviously Marvel knew what they were getting when they hired Waititi, but Chris Hemsworth was clearly 100% on board with evolving the character as well.

I'm a huge Thor fan and there wasn't anything in Ragnarok that bothered me.  I agree that Infinity War was Thor at his peak, and that's what I want to see more of.  But we should remember that Ragnarok not only precedes that movie but also lays the foundation for it with the whole "What are you, the God of Hammers?" motif.

Based on the sequence of the films, it's not possible for complaints about a scene in Infinity War to result in "goofy stupid humor" in Ragnarok (which preceded it).  Unless you're limiting your theory to Endgame?  The Fat Thor storyline in Endgame was much harder for me to accept than anything in Ragnarok, but over time I was able to get my head around what they were going for.  It's not what I would have done, but I'm at peace with it.

On 5/26/2022 at 3:33 PM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

I don't think that's it at all.

Thor:  The Dark World isn't (IMHO) as bad a movie as some say, but it was not as successful as it could have been.  The tonal shift in Thor:  Ragnarok seems to be a direct result of that -- obviously Marvel knew what they were getting when they hired Waititi, but Chris Hemsworth was clearly 100% on board with evolving the character as well.

I'm a huge Thor fan and there wasn't anything in Ragnarok that bothered me.  I agree that Infinity War was Thor at his peak, and that's what I want to see more of.  But we should remember that Ragnarok not only precedes that movie but also lays the foundation for it with the whole "What are you, the God of Hammers?" motif.

Based on the sequence of the films, it's not possible for complaints about a scene in Infinity War to result in "goofy stupid humor" in Ragnarok (which preceded it).  Unless you're limiting your theory to Endgame?  The Fat Thor storyline in Endgame was much harder for me to accept than anything in Ragnarok, but over time I was able to get my head around what they were going for.  It's not what I would have done, but I'm at peace with it.

I loved Ragnarok

It was for Cate Blanchett, but I still loved it

I was talking about people being unable to process the trauma Thor has been through, and studios once again using humor to avoid it

Stating something isn't possible is premise to definitely make it possible

On 5/26/2022 at 5:38 PM, The Meta said:

I loved Ragnarok

It was for Cate Blanchett, but I still loved it

I was talking about people being unable to process the trauma Thor has been through, and studios once again using humor to avoid it

Stating something isn't possible is premise to definitely make it possible

I don't think I'm understanding that last part.  When I said it's impossible above, I just meant that it's literally impossible (without time travel) for fan reaction to one movie to influence the direction of a movie that came out earlier.

On 5/26/2022 at 7:55 PM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

I don't think I'm understanding that last part.  When I said it's impossible above, I just meant that it's literally impossible (without time travel) for fan reaction to one movie to influence the direction of a movie that came out earlier.

And I'm encompassing everything seen up to this point

Not talking about 1 specific movie

On 5/27/2022 at 1:49 PM, Artboy99 said:

I hated fat Thor the beer drinking video game player, just strayed to far from his character in my opinion. I am hoping the next film is entertaining, but I am very worried about the M-She-U.

Exactly 

Loved Ragnarock, and am looking forward to this.

The people spoke with their wallets and the Thor franchise was seen in huge numbers and made some coin.

The team are back for number 4 and I'll be watching.

Portman looks great, Tessa Thompson owns the Valkyrie role (and is gorgeous) and the humour works.

Bring.it.On.

On 5/27/2022 at 1:49 PM, Artboy99 said:

His family and many of his people murdered by Thanos while he was forced to watch it all happen; Thor didn't shrug it off and avoid at all costs instead he went to get another weapon made where he endured the power of a star and nearly died. He then returned to exact his vengeance.

I hated fat Thor the beer drinking video game player, just strayed to far from his character in my opinion. I am hoping the next film is entertaining, but I am very worried about the M-She-U.

This will be one and done for Portman if the Aaron run is anything to go by.

On 5/30/2022 at 1:02 PM, marvelcollector said:

Maybe some day they'll make movie versions of the Marvel Universe.

Hopefully they'll be cartoons. Spiderverse may be the best Marvel movie to date. 

On 5/28/2022 at 12:11 PM, Artboy99 said:
On 5/28/2022 at 11:59 AM, piper said:

This will be one and done for Portman if the Aaron run is anything to go by.

I would rather see the Beta Ray Bill story on the big screen than a female Thor.

I think there will be a lot of surprises in this coming movie.  Everything to date has been based on the trailer, and it's slanted to this funny, happy side of things, the element Taika likes to include.   but I'm expecting to see a lot more in terms of the marvel universe to come through, in terms of Thor characters, and more.   

It would be interesting to know how many other Thor movies are in discussion.   Chris is young, the supporting characters are potentially endless, the Thor franchise has some serious legs at this point.   And they've successfully moved through different tone's of movies in an enjoyable, and cohesive manner.

On 5/30/2022 at 5:06 PM, Microchip said:

I think there will be a lot of surprises in this coming movie.  Everything to date has been based on the trailer, and it's slanted to this funny, happy side of things, the element Taika likes to include.   but I'm expecting to see a lot more in terms of the marvel universe to come through, in terms of Thor characters, and more.   

It would be interesting to know how many other Thor movies are in discussion.   Chris is young, the supporting characters are potentially endless, the Thor franchise has some serious legs at this point.   And they've successfully moved through different tone's of movies in an enjoyable, and cohesive manner.

Hemsworth is a fantastic Thor as well.