• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THOR 4: LOVE AND THUNDER directed by Taika Waititi (11/5/21)
9 9

960 posts in this topic

On 7/6/2022 at 10:55 AM, Artboy99 said:

"Thor is a dumbazz" is exactly what I do not want from the MCU. :(

Ditto.

The first Thor movie, and The Dark World, are both underrated for the way Thor was depicted. The latter may not have been written well, but the tone was perfect for a Thor movie. Loki was extremely compelling, too.

Despite how fun a movie Ragnarok is, the main character is not Thor as I understand him. Same with Surtur. They made everyone a joke for s**ts and giggles and it bothers me that they (somewhat) bastardized Thor's mythos to accomplish this reaction.

On 7/6/2022 at 11:12 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

Despite how fun a movie Ragnarok is, the main character is not Thor as I understand him. Same with Surtur. They made everyone a joke for s**ts and giggles and it bothers me that they (somewhat) bastardized Thor's mythos to accomplish this reaction.

Agreed. I think it was an attempt to capture James Gunn's GOTG bonhomie but instead was mostly silly, as you describe.  

Edited by TupennyConan
gunn

i am curious--how do you guys feel when you walk out of a really bad one?   say, you're starting the car in the parking lot after having seen green lantern or suicide squad or elektra?   i don't love guardians 2 by any means, but when we call it "a bad movie," how do we describe the ones that we don't scrape the bottom of the barrel for, but have to turn the barrel over and look underneath for?

On 7/6/2022 at 11:21 AM, TupennyConan said:

instead was mostly silly

I have yet to see a Taika Waititi film that wasn't creatively silly, so it's his entire schtick.  His films and shows remind me somewhat of Monty Python's brand of humor.  I completely get why it isn't for everyone since most people don't like Monty Python either, but as a fan of both Python and Taika's other works I'm fine with the mix.

At least Feige seems to have watched Taika's previous works and leaned into him as a choice.  I'll still never understand Kathleen Kennedy hiring Phil Lord and Christopher Miller to direct "Solo" and then firing them for using the same sense of humor they always do.  ???

I thought they'd stop the Thor films after Dark World sorta bombed.  I generally enjoyed that film, but people don't seem like serious Thor films.  The Russo brothers wrote that film, and I saw them cite it as their most misunderstood film that they're most proud of during an interview.  One of the two defiantly described it as a really good film that nobody seemed to like.  :blush:

Edited by fantastic_four

On 7/6/2022 at 12:45 PM, Straw-Man said:

i am curious--how do you guys feel when you walk out of a really bad one?   say, you're starting the car in the parking lot after having seen green lantern or suicide squad or elektra?   i don't love guardians 2 by any means, but when we call it "a bad movie," how do we describe the ones that we don't scrape the bottom of the barrel for, but have to turn the barrel over and look underneath for?

Context matters. As a comedy, GotG Vol 2 is gold. As a narrative for the Guardians themselves and the MCU? It's garbage.

On 7/6/2022 at 1:16 PM, fantastic_four said:

I thought they'd stop the Thor films after Dark World sorta bombed.  I generally enjoyed that film, but people don't seem like serious Thor films.  The Russo brothers wrote that film, and I saw them cite it as their most misunderstood film that they're most proud of during an interview.  One of the two defiantly described it as a really good film that nobody seemed to like.  :blush:

You mean Markus and McFeely (and Yost/Payne/Rodat)?

On 7/6/2022 at 12:45 PM, Straw-Man said:

When they are really bad, I wonder why they were made -- I wonder what business pressures forced the production. Black Widow is the most recent example, although, P4 is heavy with them. In general, I think there must be pressure to keep the product flowing.  

On 7/6/2022 at 1:25 PM, theCapraAegagrus said:
On 7/6/2022 at 1:16 PM, fantastic_four said:

You mean Markus and McFeely (and Yost/Payne/Rodat)?

Oh yea, wrong duo--it was Markus and McFeely.  The Markus/McFeely screenplay run is rather impressive in the MCU with (in order) Dark World, Winter Soldier, Civil War, Infinity War, and Endgame.  Four of those are easily in the top fifteen superhero films ever, and it makes me want to go back and re-watch Dark World which I probably haven't seen since 2014.  I'll probably try to get a viewing in before I go see Love and Thunder.

I liked Dark World.  It wasn't a standout MCU film, but I liked the direction, much of the writing, the mood, and the Loki-Thor dynamic.  Frigga's death also got to me.  Solid 'B' IMO.  

I plan to see 'Love and Thunder' in a week or so...hoping the silly humor doesn't drag down the stakes...I like Taika, but only in limited doses.  Perri Nemiroff liked the film in her review, though, and I generally have agreed with her on MCU material.  We'll see!

Dan

On 7/7/2022 at 3:34 AM, TupennyConan said:

When they are really bad, I wonder why they were made -- I wonder what business pressures forced the production. Black Widow is the most recent example, although, P4 is heavy with them. In general, I think there must be pressure to keep the product flowing.  

It's like 1984, and the Ant-man movies, they were pitched at younger audiences, to get them them on board.   But you'd think they would still follow the Harry Potter model, and do that at the start, and slowly make them more mature in tone.   Going full Waitiki on the 4th movie doesn't make a heck of a lot of sense.

1. Were the actors buff?

2. Did the movie advance the overall MCU narrative?

3. Did my Mighty Thor investments pay out?

4. What about the big bad?

5. Was there plenty of grim & gritty action, action, action?  

On 7/7/2022 at 8:27 PM, TupennyConan said:

1. Were the actors buff?

2. Did the movie advance the overall MCU narrative?

3. Did my Mighty Thor investments pay out?

4. What about the big bad?

5. Was there plenty of grim & gritty action, action, action?  

Nay sir, all are sadly missing... :sorry:

I've largely skipped Phase Bore, and what I have seen I've kind of regretted (other than Spidey, which was incredible). It doesn't sound like I should change that up for this.

Turning every established strong male character into a punchline or failure or depressed recluse can work in limited doses, but that trope ran its course awhile ago.