• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THOR 4: LOVE AND THUNDER directed by Taika Waititi (11/5/21)
9 9

960 posts in this topic

On 7/9/2022 at 11:54 PM, SpideyFein said:

I think we all love that Marvel movies/shows incorporate humor/corny jokes and may feel they’ve been pushing it a little too much recently, but this one felt very forced. 

I just recently saw No Way Home and felt the same, one big reason I was so disappointed in that movie.  Guess I’ll take my time on T:L&T too.

There's one big thing about this movie nobody seems to be talking about.

Spoiler

The movie suddenly introduces the Eternity character as this giant omnipotent force at the center of the universe, that everyone seems to know exactly how to get to, and that grants any wish if you just reach him.

So ... why exactly wouldn't Eternity have been a perfect solution to Thanos, or the perfect way to undo what Thanos had done instead of time-hopping all over the place???

Or for that matter, why wouldn't Eternity be the perfect way for Wanda to get what she wanted in the last movie?

Between this, and the Celestials/Eternals, and the multiverse concept, the MCU is letting itself spin out of control with crazier and crazier overpowered plot devices.  It's hard to sustain audience investment once you train them that everything you see is subject to this level of plot magic.

I find myself really hoping and praying that Captain America 4 will be a good-old- fashioned down-to-earth superhero movie with nothing cosmic, stakes that feel more suited to the characters, and a plot arc that's more accessible for us mere mortals.

I remember thinking Hemsworth was a bit small to be playing Thor, but wow, you regularly see much beefier guys than this guy playing Hercules in any gym.  And if you Google ancient Greek statues of Hercules they all look bigger than this guy does.

You only get a half-second look at him in the film, but all I saw was a regular dude in bulky armor which doesn't jibe with any memory I have of Hercules in any incarnation he's had.  Googling him confirms his lack of bulk.  Hopefully he's at least funny like Hercules is usually depicted in the comics, which seems likely given that he won an Emmy for Ted Lasso which I haven't seen.

MV5BYThhYTBmOGEtZTY1OC00MzU5LTllNGEtZTU0

On 7/10/2022 at 4:28 PM, fantastic_four said:

I remember thinking Hemsworth was a bit small to be playing Thor, but wow, you regularly see much beefier guys than this guy playing Hercules in any gym.  And if you Google ancient Greek statues of Hercules they all look bigger than this guy does.

You only get a half-second look at him in the film, but all I saw was a regular dude in bulky armor which doesn't jibe with any memory I have of Hercules in any incarnation he's had.  Googling him confirms his lack of bulk.  Hopefully he's at least funny like Hercules is usually depicted in the comics, which seems likely given that he won an Emmy for Ted Lasso which I haven't seen.

He's funny in Ted Lasso precisely by being not funny -- that is, he is a foul-mouthed cranky SOB who gets laughs because of the situations he's put in and the gradual cracking of his tough-guy facade.

I mean, who knows where they're going to go with this -- assuming there is a Thor 5, you have to wonder if they really intend on perpetuating the team-up shown at the very end of the film and where Herc would fit in.  You'd think that if they're going to stay somewhat true to the comics, he'll be an antagonist to start and an ally to finish.  I realize that they've always tried to make Hercules Thor's equal, but Thor outclasses Hercules in every conceivable way so if and when they fight, I hope they don't cop out with some kind of draw.

Anyway that is years away ...

On 7/10/2022 at 4:45 PM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

you have to wonder if they really intend on perpetuating the team-up shown at the very end of the film

Does the girl have a comic counterpart?

On 7/10/2022 at 4:28 PM, fantastic_four said:

Is that who is playing Hercules??

On 7/10/2022 at 4:45 PM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

I realize that they've always tried to make Hercules Thor's equal, but Thor outclasses Hercules in every conceivable way so if and when they fight, I hope they don't cop out with some kind of draw.

Here's what Thor 126 did--Hercules beats Thor.

Does Hercules really out-class Thor?  I haven't heard specific comparisons between them, but I usually think of Hercules as stronger but Thor has Mjolnir and lightning.

RCO001.jpg RCO015.jpg RCO016.jpg

Edited by fantastic_four

On 7/10/2022 at 5:37 PM, Bosco685 said:

Is that who is playing Hercules??

Yep.  He looks slightly more jacked in the film, but he's clearly being swallowed by his armor which I've never seen with any Hercules look.  If any character in the entire Marvel universe needed to be Rock-sized, it's Hercules.

On 7/10/2022 at 5:42 PM, fantastic_four said:

Yep.  He looks slightly more jacked in the film, but he's clearly being swallowed by his armor which I've never seen with any Hercules look.  If any character in the entire Marvel universe needed to be Rock-sized, it's Hercules.

WOW!

I like him in Ted Lasso. But Hercules? WTH!

:shiftyeyes:

Taika Waititi Tells Us How The Big ‘Thor: Love And Thunder’ Mid Credit Scene Came To Be

Spoiler

During the mid-credit scene, Zeus still seems pretty ticked off about the whole encounter and taps his son, Hercules, to avenge him. The big surprise here is Hercules is played by everyone’s favorite midfielder, now coach, from Ted Lasso, Roy Kent himself … Brett Goldstein.

Who’s idea was it to cast Brett Goldstein as Hercules? We asked director Taika Waititi and he said that decision came from Kevin Feige, “Kevin really wanted him to do it, and yeah, Brett’s amazing. He’s great.”

Though, Waititi doesn’t know exactly how Hercules fits in with the MCU quite yet, if he’s meant for future Thor movies or something else entirely. “And I don’t know if that’s to do with Thor, or if it’s to do with how that will develop,” says Waititi. He continues, “Because, obviously, Hercules, there’s a character from the books as well. And so, yeah, this will be interesting to see because Kevin, he’s obviously the mastermind of all of these threads and how they’ll tie up and how they meet, mix and match. So I’m curious to find out myself.”

:facepalm:

Phase IV is heartbreak!

On 7/10/2022 at 2:38 PM, fantastic_four said:

Here's what Thor 126 did--Hercules beats Thor.

Does Hercules really out-class Thor?  I haven't heard specific comparisons between them, but I usually think of Hercules as stronger but Thor has Mjolnir and lightning.

RCO001.jpg RCO015.jpg RCO016.jpg

In this book, "half" of Thor's power has been stripped because Odin was pissed at him (again).

On 7/10/2022 at 5:37 AM, piper said:

Movie went full Taika. :(

They took one of my favourite modern story arcs and turned it into a farce.

Yup. You can’t keep doing it to every dark and intense storyline, or, at least don’t keep doing it with the same character’s material. 

Edited by Ken Aldred

On 7/11/2022 at 12:02 AM, gadzukes said:

I really like Thor & Hercules first meeting in JIM Annual 1.  The dialogue is great and the friggin battle lasts 9 pages!

RCO007_1588969753.jpg

RCO008_1588969753.jpg

RCO009_w_1588969753.jpg

RCO010_1588969753.jpg

RCO011_1588969753.jpg

RCO012_1588969753.jpg

RCO013_1588969753.jpg

RCO014_1588969753.jpg

RCO015_1588969753.jpg

I’d like to see Pluto in it. The Roman underworld god, specifically.  Get back to dark, intense and intimidating.

On 7/11/2022 at 12:07 AM, gadzukes said:

I believe in an early story arc Hercules gets pulled into the underworld by Pluto and Thor goes down to free him.

That’s the story I was thinking about.