• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

SPIDER-MAN: ACROSS THE SPIDER-VERSE PART 1 (2022)
3 3

358 posts in this topic

On 7/2/2023 at 9:41 PM, KingOfRulers said:

It's part of the movie, therefore fair game for inclusion in the movie's review. I didn't state my politics. I've merely stated that the movie displays obvious politics within. My opinion is that I don't like its inclusion in the movie. Put me on "ignore".

A pregnant woman is political? Come on now. 

Edited by Cat

On 7/2/2023 at 9:13 AM, Cat said:

A pregnant woman is political? Come on now. 

While that character could be construed as having political undertones, that's not even what I was referring to. Blaxploitation Spider-Woman was a character flop with or without politics. 

The political easter egg injected into the movie was more direct and specific, as it was a current political action group that was referenced in connection to Miles Morales. I won't even specify what group it was, as we're not to discuss politics here. If you didn't notice it when you watched the movie, you can Google search it and you'll easily find what I'm referring to. That paragraph of my review was simply expressing displeasure at the inclusion of this specific political activist group by the filmmakers, into the star character's personality. I don't want the character to serve as a vehicle for the writer's political preferences. And if the writers do take the road of having the characters they write choose political sides, as the viewer, I can take my own side and find positives or negatives in what they present onscreen. That's as far as I need to go with it on these boards.

Edited by KingOfRulers

On 7/3/2023 at 12:12 AM, KingOfRulers said:

While that character could be construed as having political undertones, that's not even what I was referring to. Blaxploitation Spider-Woman was a character flop with or without politics. 

The political easter egg injected into the movie was more direct and specific, as it was a current political action group that was referenced in connection to Miles Morales. I won't even specify what group it was, as we're not to discuss politics here. If you didn't notice it when you watched the movie, you can Google search it and you'll easily find what I'm referring to. That paragraph of my review was simply expressing displeasure at the inclusion of this specific political activist group by the filmmakers, into the star character's personality. I don't want the character to serve as a vehicle for the writer's political preferences. And if the writers do take the road of having the characters they write choose political sides, as the viewer, I can take my own side and find positives or negatives in what they present onscreen. That's as far as I need to go with it on these boards.

Fair enough. I strongly disagree with your use of the term 'social activists' though. 

Edited by Cat

On 7/2/2023 at 10:54 AM, Cat said:

Fair enough. I strongly disagree with your use of the term 'social activists' though. 

As far as I can tell, that's what it is. How would you describe it? (shrug)

And I'd like to clarify that I'm not against Marvel characters being political. Even overtly political. What I should've said is that I'm against long established characters being hijacked for political purposes. In this specific instance, I feel as though Spider-Man has been commandeered to suit a writer's political interests. As I mentioned previously, the "multi-verse" can be used as the scapegoat to explain away anything. In this case, someone would say, "That's Miles Morales, not Peter Parker. Different universes etc..." But in the eyes of the world, Miles Morales and Peter Parker are ultimately still Spider-Man.

I don't like that social activist writers (or some other term that you prefer) land a gig writing the most popular fictional character in existence, and see it as a golden opportunity to spread their political ideology. Regardless of the 60 years of character lore, it is all ignored so that the writer can spread their message to the widest audience possible. That's what makes me want to vomit. I'd be perfectly happy to see these same writers create their own Marvel characters and be overtly political with them to suit whatever their ideology might be. However, said characters should be the creators' own, original creations and not hijacked, decades-old superstar characters. Let the writers bring to market their original, politically charged characters to either succeed or fail with audiences on their own merit.

As mentioned, Hobie/Spider-Punk was my favorite character in the most recent Spider-Verse movie. He was awesome! How can you have a punk character be a punk character without being super political? You really can't. My only problem with the character is that (again), they had to make him a Spider-Man. Marvel can have success beyond the Spider-Man brand name. There's more to Marvel than Spider-Man. I sincerely hope they find a way to make the character of Hobie his own, completely original superhero/anti-hero, political and all. Start him in a solo series, then make him a Young Avenger. I'd buy current comics again. Just don't make him yet another Spider-Man for the sake of exploiting the brand name.

Edited by KingOfRulers

Sony Pictures shared a 59-second video announcing that Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse will be available for fans to purchase digitally on Tuesday, August 8 before it comes to Blu-ray on September 5.

This marks the first time that Sony has acknowledged this release date publicly after Spider-Verse 2 was listed for pre-order on Amazon Video in mid-July, which also noted it was set to debut on August 8.

Spider-Verse 2's Blu-ray release will also feature new featurettes and extras, including a deleted scene with Oscar Isaac's Miguel O'Hara, an Easter egg hunt, a look into the film's score, and even a deep dive into the film's ties to Marvel Comics history.

On 7/2/2023 at 12:05 PM, KingOfRulers said:

What I should've said is that I'm against long established characters being hijacked for political purposes.

This really is a terrific way of saying it. Creators dismiss what you've said when the urge [mandate?] to correct the perceived social errors of past characters & films motivates their creative decisions.    

Finally got to see this last night. Probably the best Marvel movie ever the past few years.

What an incredible celebration of all things Spider-Man across comic books, cartoons and films. To include the lore of Peter Parker which makes his story that much more emotional and easy to connect to. And any spin-offs and reinterpretations.

I'm so excited to see where Part 2 takes moviegoers. Incredible expectations.

Across The Spider-Verse producers Lord & Miller reveal why the home release is different to the one you watched in theaters

The digital version of Across the Spider-Verse has been controversial, to say the least. Upon release, fans noticed several changes were made to the cut they watched in cinemas – including more details in Gwen’s opening sequence and Miles’ heroic stand against Spider-Man 2099.

Speaking to GamesRadar+ ahead of the release of R-rated dog comedy Strays, producers Phil Lord and Chris Miller explain why the 'new' cut – which was also available in some theaters weeks after release – features so many minor tweaks.

"There was an international version that was made almost two months before the movie came out because it had to be translated into different languages and these French censors have to decide what the rating of the movie is in Europe," Miller says.

"The team at [Sony Pictures] Imageworks still had some shots that they felt they could do better for the finished version. So, they cleaned up and tweaked those things."

Miller also reveals that crew members chipped in with additional ideas to help make a final cut that people will "pore over forever."

"Certain crew members – people in the sound department or on the animation team – were like, ‘Oh, could we do this instead?’" Miller explains. "Let’s do the best possible version we can. Because it’s a multiverse movie, it’s like there’s a multiverse of the movie – that was really the reasoning behind it. It was trying to make the best possible version that everyone was going to be the proudest of."

Lord added, "I think most of the changes are improvements."