• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

SPIDER-MAN: ACROSS THE SPIDER-VERSE PART 1 (2022)
3 3

358 posts in this topic

Saw it last week with the wife.. Thought it was fantastic. Visuals were stunning. All the styles just nicely flowed together for me. Had to watch some of the YouTube videos of Easter Eggs to catch much of what I missed.

Still feel that Into the Spider-Verse was better, IMO. More humor. More Peter B. Parker. 

Loved Spider-Punk!!!  

I saw the movie today.

Overall, I liked it, but not as much as the first Spider-Verse movie.

Every movie, it's more and more apparent that social activists are pushing their brand of activism into the personality of the characters. That was certainly the case here.

They continued on the track of turning Peter Parker into a complete dope.

Blaxploitation, pregnant, unlikeable Spider-Woman was involved in melee and riding around on a motorcycle. That's probably pretty good for her unborn kid, right? I hear that all of the vibrations and abrupt movements help an unborn kid's development. Such a strong, pregnant woman. So terrible and unlikeable too. I admire Sony for testing my salt as a moviegoer. I've long wanted to know what my limit is for how terrible a character can be, before I exit the theatre and request a refund. Thank you Sony for pushing my limits and allowing me to learn about myself. Maybe in part two we'll get to watch that absolute queen Spider-Woman down a gallon of Jack Daniels and smoke a carton of Newports.

Outside of those two character letdowns, I thought the characters were all great. The multi-verse concept allows or such easy introductions to characters. Hobie/Spider-Punk was awesome. I wish Marvel could introduce that character as his own character, not connected to the Spidey name. A new, original character, but with that same look and personality. He was my favorite character in the movie. I'd love to see that character join the MCU as an original character. He could be a Young Avenger for a little while. Scarlet Spider was also hilarious.

The movie was an amazing art project. As far as the visuals go, it was wonderful! I love all the experimentation. The wild and varied art styles. It was as close to a comic book that a movie could ever be, in my opinion. A legendary exhibition of the cinematic art form. As it pertains to visuals, I think it is the best representation of how a comic book can be translated to cinematic form. A++, in that regard.

As far as story goes, that's where there's problems. The "multi-verse" was a great plot device for the first movie. It's been a great plot device for the MCU. As well as serving as the primary plot device, by its nature we are treated to a cornucopia of character appearances and easter eggs. That being said, the multi-verse's level of use is now concerning, especially since this second Spider-Verse movie wasn't even the spectacular crescendo of the multi-verse as a story. Going in, I had no idea this was merely part one. They're pumping the multi-verse well for a third time in a row. :eek:

Sony and Marvel will inevitably use the multi-verse as a crutch for lazy storytelling. The multi-verse should itself be a storyline, not a get-out-of-storytelling-free card. The entire multi-verse concept is fantastic when utilized responsibly. The overuse that we are now being fed will ensure that future narratives have no lasting consequences. Every story will be dismissible. No lasting consequences has essentially been Marvel's comic book storytelling tactic for at least a couple of decades, so I shouldn't be surprised. The multi-verse allows for any story to be instantly retconned, without even actually retconning. The affect will be the same, but instead of being called a retcon, the multi-verse will be the infallible scapegoat for any unwanted or difficult story elements. Whether the consequence of a story was big or small, or something must be changed due to production issues, casting issues, or a fiery Sony board meeting, everything can be easily and instantly explained away by saying, "Oh, it was the multi-verse." "That character was from a different universe." "That sequence of events was from a different universe." From the smallest detail of a story, to the entire story, everything can be explained away by leaning on the multi-verse crutch.

Edited by KingOfRulers

On 7/2/2023 at 12:52 PM, KingOfRulers said:

Every movie, it's more and more apparent that social activists are pushing their brand of activism into the personality of the characters. That was certainly the case here.

Cut the carp, nobody asked for that. And keep your personal politics out of it. 

Edited by Cat

On 7/2/2023 at 3:54 AM, Cat said:

Cut the carp, nobody asked for that. And keep your personal politics out of it. 

It's part of the movie, therefore fair game for inclusion in the movie's review. I didn't state my politics. I've merely stated that the movie displays obvious politics within. My opinion is that I don't like its inclusion in the movie. Put me on "ignore".

Edited by KingOfRulers