• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage's Next Event Auction has started posting books !
31 31

7,896 posts in this topic

11 minutes ago, tth2 said:

I'd be willing to bet that many similar comments were made when the WM AF 15 sold at Sotheby's for $40k.

I always think of that sale when pivotal auctions like this one happen. At that time though collectors were right that it was an outlier. The game changers (slabbing and that Greg Manning auction) were still a few years away. 

Edited by goldust40

1 minute ago, goldust40 said:
10 minutes ago, tth2 said:

I'd be willing to bet that many similar comments were made when the WM AF 15 sold at Sotheby's for $40k.

I always think of that sale when pivotal auctions like this one happen. At that time though collectors were right that it was an outlier. The game changers (slabbing and Heritage) were still a few years away. 

Lots of moments like that.  So many old school collectors and dealers were so critical of that sale, and yes, maybe in the short term it seemed like an overpay.  But this hobby always seems to absorb the quantum leaps and move onwards and upwards.

I also remember when the Diamond Run CGC 9.4 AF 15 sold for $80k (I want to say it was Bob Storms' sale), and people thought that was nuts, because it represented a doubling of the infamous WM sale.  Who'd wouldn't want to take a time machine back to that sale now? 

4 hours ago, tth2 said:

Lots of moments like that.  So many old school collectors and dealers were so critical of that sale, and yes, maybe in the short term it seemed like an overpay.  But this hobby always seems to absorb the quantum leaps and move onwards and upwards.

I also remember when the Diamond Run CGC 9.4 AF 15 sold for $80k (I want to say it was Bob Storms' sale), and people thought that was nuts, because it represented a doubling of the infamous WM sale.  Who'd wouldn't want to take a time machine back to that sale now? 

The million dollar sale of the 9.6 was also very controversial, but I would expect multiples of that price for a similar copy today. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

16 hours ago, adamstrange said:

That's uniformly been the case for the Church copies.  Not sure it was true of the lower grade and  non-ped copies.

Well, not exactly. Here are the first Heritage sale prices for the Church copies of Flash 3-10, and the subsequent sales when the books came back to HA:

Flash 3 -- $41,825 ($22,705)

Flash 4 -- $23,900 ($17,925)

Flash 5 -- $21,510 ($15,535)

Flash 6 -- $68,725 ($35,850)

Flash 7 -- $28,680 ($16,730)

Flash 8 -- $9,560 ($8,365)

Flash 9 -- $33,460 ($23,900)

Flash 10 -- $38,837 ($22,705)

Many of the Green Lantern and Adventure MH took similar hits when they resold at Heritage. But we're now living in a different world.

47 minutes ago, SteveDuin said:

Well, not exactly. Here are the first Heritage sale prices for the Church copies of Flash 3-10, and the subsequent sales when the books came back to HA:

Many of the Green Lantern and Adventure MH took similar hits when they resold at Heritage. But we're now living in a different world.

I was responding to a question about the Church copies sold from Jon Berk's collection.

Your post is a reminder that we have previously seen sky high prices that were due to auction fever and the endless wallet of one individual, which could be the case here, but we don't know.

3 hours ago, SteveDuin said:

Weren't most of the initial purchases you're listing by Gary Keller?

Yes, some massive hair cuts were taken for books purchased at aggressive prices in the 2005-06 time frame that were unloaded under financial duress during the Financial Crisis. 

That was a great time to be buying! :cloud9:

2 hours ago, adamstrange said:

Your post is a reminder that we have previously seen sky high prices that were due to auction fever and the endless wallet of one individual, which could be the case here, but we don't know.

I believe we have now reached a permanently high plateau. :preach:

12 hours ago, tth2 said:
12 hours ago, goldust40 said:

I always think of that sale when pivotal auctions like this one happen. At that time though collectors were right that it was an outlier. The game changers (slabbing and Heritage) were still a few years away. 

8 hours ago, jimjum12 said:

The million dollar sale of the 9.6 was also very controversial, but I would expect multiples of that price for a similar copy today. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

Between the Diamond Run AF #15 and the million dollar AF #15 9.6 sale, around 2009 or so (can't remember the exact date) was the $200,000 (or was it $220,000 sale) of an AF #15 in 9.4 on Clink.

I remember these forums erupted when that sale happened and nobody could believe it. It was borderline fiction at the time.

Now that number won't even buy you a VF.

9 minutes ago, VintageComics said:

Between the Diamond Run AF #15 and the million dollar AF #15 9.6 sale, around 2009 or so (can't remember the exact date) was the $200,000 (or was it $220,000 sale) of an AF #15 in 9.4 on Clink.

I remember these forums erupted when that sale happened and nobody could believe it. It was borderline fiction at the time.

Now that number won't even buy you a VF.

In my 20 years on these boards, I've learned 2 things... 1) there are thousands upon thousands of uber high grade silver and later comics just sitting in collections waiting to be unleashed upon unsuspecting collectors that are overpaying for books currently and 2) these forums erupt about a lot of things that in hindsight prove to be trivial. 

15 minutes ago, LordRahl said:

In my 20 years on these boards, I've learned 2 things... 1) there are thousands upon thousands of uber high grade silver and later comics just sitting in collections waiting to be unleashed upon unsuspecting collectors that are overpaying for books currently and 2) these forums erupt about a lot of things that in hindsight prove to be trivial. 

I don’t necessarily want to trivialize the feelings of anyone here, because we all have deep passion for our hobby. We all paid our dues to get here. But I recently re-read the string where Nic Cage was selling out, and the boards were abuzz with how the sky must be falling. It never did fall. 

Just thought I’d mention the scariest thing that happened to me during Session 4 after the Promise Collection gold rush in Session 3.  As I logged on a HG copy of Adventure Comics with a S&K cover popped up and I tried to bid on it even though Adventure isn’t a title I normally collect.

Well, the bid key apparently stuck and didn’t register, but a recorded voice said “you’ve been outbid” so I just chalked it up to bad timing and went on.  Today, the outbid notice popped up.  It was for the next Adventure in the queue which I’d never bid on.   Looking the book up I realized what had happened.  I’m just glad I didn’t accidentally win the follow-up book and have to explain declining payment since I never bid on.it.

well, these b.s. actions are going wild to kick off the 2nd-string promise books.   pretty sure the ped type-set will have to wait awhile for their new compatriot. 

14 hours ago, tth2 said:
On 6/18/2021 at 5:12 PM, lou_fine said:

Is this a record setting price for this copy of Donald Duck as I guess they must be getting back in vogue after being in the cooler for a long time:  :luhv:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/cartoon-character/four-color-178-donald-duck-rockford-pedigree-dell-1947-cgc-nm-96-off-white-to-white-pages/a/7244-94042.s?ic16=ViewItem-BrowseTabs-Auction-Archive-ThisAuction-120115

lf?set=path%5B2%2F4%2F1%2F3%2F8%2F24138684%5D&call=url%5Bfile%3Aproduct.chain%5D

Sold for a rather astounding $90K and big congrats to the consignor of this book here who I believe is one of our very own here.  (thumbsu  :applause:

Expand  

I fell out of my chair when I saw this price.

Nothing in any previous benchmarks would've predicted anything like this.

Didn't you have a 9.8 at one point.  

49 minutes ago, Cat-Man_America said:

Just thought I’d mention the scariest thing that happened to me during Session 4 after the Promise Collection gold rush in Session 3.  As I logged on a HG copy of Adventure Comics with a S&K cover popped up and I tried to bid on it even though Adventure isn’t a title I normally collect.

Well, the bid key apparently stuck and didn’t register, but a recorded voice said “you’ve been outbid” so I just chalked it up to bad timing and went on.  Today, the outbid notice popped up.  It was for the next Adventure in the queue which I’d never bid on.   Looking the book up I realized what had happened.  I’m just glad I didn’t accidentally win the follow-up book and have to explain declining payment since I never bid on.it.

I'm always super cautious when I hit the "Disable Bidding" button for fear of hitting one of the "Bid" buttons by accident.