• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage's Next Event Auction has started posting books !
31 31

7,896 posts in this topic

On 9/8/2021 at 6:16 PM, skypinkblu said:

I was willing to go fairly high for it, but I was blown away soon after the live auction started. I have a copy, I've had a few, but never anything more than 3.5. I didn't see the 6.5 or I would have been bidding on that one.

I was wrong Sharon, it was just a 5.5.  I dug through about 40 pages of my bids to find it!

sensation26.jpg

Screen Shot 2021-09-08 at 6.58.30 PM.png

I'm pretty sure I was an under bidder on that one, Greg...nice book.  Seems to becoming a habit, lol.

On 9/8/2021 at 9:00 PM, batman_fan said:

I was wrong Sharon, it was just a 5.5.  I dug through about 40 pages of my bids to find it!

sensation26.jpg

Screen Shot 2021-09-08 at 6.58.30 PM.png

On 9/8/2021 at 5:45 PM, lou_fine said:

Yeah, I've also been on the lookout for a copy of this book here since I tend to view it as a poor man's version of Action Comics 13:  :luhv:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/superhero/sensation-comics-26-the-promise-collection-pedigree-dc-1944-cgc-vf-nm-90-white-pages/a/7246-92128.s?ic16=ViewItem-BrowseTabs-Auction-Archive-ThisAuction-120115#

lf?set=path%5B2%2F4%2F3%2F8%2F4%2F24384205%5D&call=url%5Bfile%3Aproduct.chain%5D

Only problem is that this book doesn't seem to come into the marketplace very often with the last slabbed copy back in 2013 or a few years before I started to look for a copy for my personal collection.  Although I had placed some bids earlier on, there was no way I was going to pay close to 5-figures or anywhere even in the vicinity of that ballpark for a copy with that huge and noticeable of a fugly miscut.  :p

The Mile High copy of this book is virtually perfect. Should be a 9.8 from what I remember. 

On 9/8/2021 at 3:45 PM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

This is a very good learning experience. Moderate resto gets about 1/9 (I think I’ll go with 10%) of its unrestored counterpart. 

that seems like a good price for the universal copy, right?

From what I notice most Slight or Moderate restored GA's and Silver Mega Keys usually get around 25 to even 50% of what their unrestored counterparts sell for.  I think this because in the past year I got outbid on a bunch of DC's and Timelys from 1940 to 1942 with slight or moderate resto. Not the huge keys but pretty respectable books. I was often surprised at what they sold for. But with Bat 1 there are a lot of restored examples (143 according to the census) and most seem to be in the moderate range. Yet they usually sell for about 10% of what their Blue label counterparts sell for.

Maybe Slight to Moderate Bat 1's are somewhat of a sleeper. 

On 9/9/2021 at 6:03 AM, Dr. Love said:

HA wants buyers to feel that the market is not just strong, but more importantly, deep - with wide levels of participation. 

Not necessarily.  They may want competing bidders to realize it's just one person outbidding them for everything so that they will (a) raise their game and/or (b) punish bid that person until he/she is bleeding from all orifices.

On 9/8/2021 at 2:48 PM, Dr. Love said:

yeh Brian called 7102 "my hero".  I think he accounted for at least half if not more of the 2.5M Promise.  Lunch is on Halperin when the buyer comes to town!

Well, if you've been glancing through any of those endless posts on the WATA threads :slapfight:  :slapfight: on the boards here without falling asleep, it's probably just a case of Brian trying to brown nose his way up the Heritage corporate ladder.  lol

After all, you have to remember this is in the state of Texas where pretty much anything goes and what happens in Texas stays in Texas, and rather quite literally in this particular case here.  Definitely saves on the shipping charges though.  I guess you are also definitely following the Covid protocols when you take yourself out for lunch on your lonesome, but not sure if this would qualify as an allowable tax write-off for IRS purposes.   Yum, Yum!!!  :roflmao:

On 9/8/2021 at 3:45 PM, lou_fine said:
On 9/8/2021 at 1:47 PM, skypinkblu said:

Well, Sensation 26 went for almost double what i expected...and I thought I bid too much, lol.

Yeah, I've also been on the lookout for a copy of this book here since I tend to view it as a poor man's version of Action Comics 13:  :luhv:

On 9/8/2021 at 8:16 PM, Timely said:

The Mile High copy of this book is virtually perfect. Should be a 9.8 from what I remember. 

Yeah, I guess the key words here are "Should be" because with grading, sometimes you just never know.  :wishluck:

Just checked Chuck's Mile High Catalogue and if I am reading his tiny print correctly, it appears that he had the Sensation 26 listed as a NM+ which would line up with your memory of the book.  Then again, it's hard to tell because Chuck also had this Church copy of Sensation 39 listed as a NM+ in his Mile High catalogue and yet:  :luhv:   :takeit:

sen1.1047a.jpg

Hard to tell from just a cover visual scan, but I will simply say that I wish all of the Promise Collection 8.5 graded books looked like this Sensation 39, but then I guess books with more natural rounded uncrushed spines are considered to be a defect in terms of today's grading standards.  :devil:  :censored:

On 9/8/2021 at 9:39 PM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

Mind blown

The two runs that kind of blew me away as they were totally unexpected were the EC Crime Patrol's and the Schomburg airbrushed Exciting books. :whatthe:

Loved the colors on the Crime Patrol's and nice to see a price of $8,700 for this non-highest graded and non-CGC 9.8 Schomburg beauty:  :luhv:  :cloud9:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/superhero/exciting-comics-60-the-promise-collection-pedigree-nedor-1948-cgc-nm-94-white-pages/a/7246-92053.s?ic16=ViewItem-BrowseTabs-Auction-Archive-ThisAuction-120115

lf?set=path%5B2%2F4%2F5%2F5%2F1%2F24551337%5D&call=url%5Bfile%3Aproduct.chain%5D

Okay, just took a quick look at the Heritage offereings for tomorrow's auction action and the most notable shocker to me at this point is this:  :whatthe:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/books/overstreet-comic-book-price-guide-1-first-printing-overstreet-publications-1970-cgc-nm-96-white-pages/a/7246-94188.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

lf?set=path%5B2%2F4%2F4%2F5%2F2%2F24452914%5D&call=url%5Bfile%3Aproduct.chain%5D

Already sitting at $37,200 including the BP juice and a definite record breaker here since I had thought the CGC 9.2 graded copy that they sold for $9K a few years ago was already a one-time outlier not to ever be outdone.  Boy, was I ever wrong here!!!  :facepalm:

Edited by lou_fine

On 9/9/2021 at 12:39 AM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

Mind blown

DE3378C5-0F80-4095-AB85-3C94AADE43D1.png

Hasn't this book been $45K a point for a while now? -  A 2.0 sold for $90K and the 8.5 sold for $384K, and that was before the record breaking spring jumps in the collectibles market. And doesn't it usually bring about 60% of an equal grade Bats1?

On 9/9/2021 at 1:26 AM, lou_fine said:

Yeah, I guess the key words here are "Should be" because with grading, sometimes you just never know.  :wishluck:

Just checked Chuck's Mile High Catalogue and if I am reading his tiny print correctly, it appears that he had the Sensation 26 listed as a NM+ which would line up with your memory of the book.  Then again, it's hard to tell because Chuck also had this Church copy of Sensation 39 listed as a NM+ in his Mile High catalogue and yet:  :luhv:   :takeit:

sen1.1047a.jpg

Hard to tell from just a cover visual scan, but I will simply say that I wish all of the Promise Collection 8.5 graded books looked like this Sensation 39, but then I guess books with more natural rounded uncrushed spines are considered to be a defect in terms of today's grading standards.  :devil:  :censored:

Keep in mind the Mile Highs have been in circulation for over 40 years now! Some have received bumps and bruises along the way.

On 9/9/2021 at 12:39 AM, lou_fine said:

Okay, just took a quick look at the Heritage offereings for tomorrow's auction action and the most notable shocker to me at this point is this:  :whatthe:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/books/overstreet-comic-book-price-guide-1-first-printing-overstreet-publications-1970-cgc-nm-96-white-pages/a/7246-94188.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

lf?set=path%5B2%2F4%2F4%2F5%2F2%2F24452914%5D&call=url%5Bfile%3Aproduct.chain%5D

Already sitting at $37,200 including the BP juice and a definite record breaker here since I had thought the CGC 9.2 graded copy that they sold for $9K a few years ago was already a one-time outlier not to ever be outdone.  Boy, was I ever wrong here!!!  :facepalm:

Geebus :whatthe:.  This is something I can go to Kinkos and make copies of