• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage's Next Event Auction has started posting books !
31 31

7,947 posts in this topic

On 10/24/2021 at 2:23 PM, lou_fine said:

Remember the old axiom........buy low and sell high, although we might all be in the big LCS in the sky by the time funny animals gets hot again. :taptaptap:

Then again, there just might be a glimmer of hope as some of those Bugs Bunny books seems to be selling for record amounts on HA Sunday auctions and didn't @tth2 's Four Color 386 sell for $90K in the Spring HA Signature Auction.  :wishluck:  :applause:

I think it was his Rockford Four Color #178 in 9.6. Maybe two or three guys are competing for the highest-graded Barks books. 

On 10/24/2021 at 2:31 PM, buttock said:

Fox funny animals will never get hot.  In this setting it's buy low and never sell because nobody will ever buy them from you.  

Admit it... you're trying to manipulate the market to get them all on the cheap. AREN'T YOU. :taptaptap: 

On 10/24/2021 at 5:48 PM, Point Five said:

Admit it... you're trying to manipulate the market to get them all on the cheap. AREN'T YOU. :taptaptap: 

You'll never get away with it, @buttock !

You'll never get my remaindered 1980s Star Comics away from me either, so don't even try to talk those down.

On 10/24/2021 at 11:08 PM, buttock said:

Jon, I told that to you in a promise of secrecy.  See if I ever share my investment secrets with you again. 

I'm still sore because 10 years ago you advised me to put my kid's college fund into high grade Fox westerns. We've been using them to prop up the air conditioner.

On 10/29/2021 at 11:23 AM, szav said:

The latest event auction seems to be off to a strong start...Promise books are doing great, and there's some really great stuff including a bunch of highest graded or close to highest graded Harvey horror classics, in addition to other super high grade horror from what they're calling the Black Cat Collection.

Chamber of Chills 19 CGC 9.6, Black Cat 50 CGC 9.6, Tomb of Terror 15 CGC 9.6, Chamber of Chills 23 CGC 9.0...

I agree with you. This 2021 November 18 - 21 Comics & Comic Art Signature Auction is stacked and has some pretty nice books. 

There’s a few books that peak my interest. 

On 10/31/2021 at 6:59 AM, Norinn Radd said:

Nice! I wonder if the buyer will break them up... it would certainly be tempting. Those covers look nice.

On 10/31/2021 at 6:59 AM, Norinn Radd said:

I’m the current high bidder. :banana:

Real big price for this 5.0 Adventure Comics 38 - 12,000. Only four Blue Labels on the census. Interesting thing I noticed was on the CGC census the highest graded Blue is a 7.5, but an 8.0 sold in 2012 on ComicConnect. I wonder what happened. https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/adventure/adventure-comics-38-dc-1939-cgc-vg-fn-50-cream-to-off-white-pages/a/122144-11009.s?ic2=mytracked-lotspage-lotlinks-12202013&tab=MyTrackedLots-101116

8.0 https://www.comicconnect.com/item/446674?tzf=1

lf.jpg

Edited by Professor K
link added

A 4.5 copy of Crime Patrol 15 went for $12K yesterday in the Sunday auction. Definitely a very nice copy for the grade (couldn't figure out why it only managed 4.5, despite the chips on the leading edge) which could explain the (very) high number. Bear in mind that two years ago a GFC 9.8 copy of this book went for about the same price.

lf?set=path%5B2%2F4%2F9%2F6%2F6%2F24966027%5D&call=url%5Bfile%3Aproduct.chain%5D

Edited by goldust40

On 11/1/2021 at 2:10 PM, buttock said:

Waaaaay back in the early 1990s I had a Zoot 1.  I traded it to Bruce Ellsworth in some deal.  A few months later we were loading up to go to a convention and he came out to my car and threw it in my trunk and said, "take this back, I don't want it.  Nobody can sell these."

What a neanderthal!

On 11/1/2021 at 11:11 AM, Timely said:

Yours, I assume? I personally wouldn't bid on a book if hoarding has affected the value in recent years—that's a bubble that could pop at any time, in my opinion—but I'm sure it will sell for more than guide.

I'm certain that Catman 15s are being hoarded, too. I don't know who's doing the hoarding, but it's been going on for quite a while. The reason why I say that is because in the past 20 years, I've never seen the same copy offered for sale a second time. That's pretty unusual, even for rare books. I've also seen enough raw copies to know that even though it isn't a common issue, it isn't nearly as scarce as the census would suggest. So either multiple copies are being hoarded by the same person, or every single copy that has sold in a public auction has been locked away in a different private collection with little to no turnover. My money is on the former scenario. Others are free to disagree.