• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage's Next Event Auction has started posting books !
31 31

7,891 posts in this topic

On 2/27/2022 at 10:58 PM, Professor K said:

Yep, it ended at 2,400

Also about a half hour earlier a 2.0 on e bay ended at 1,900 with zero last minute action. It was at 1,900 for a few days actually. I almost pulled the trigger with a 2,100 dollar bid but didn't.

I liked the 2.0 better. https://www.ebay.com/itm/255396509953?

Notes for the 2.0 - 

detached cover
moderate wear to cover
small split bottom of spine

For the 2.5 -

heavy staple rust
large tear right bottom of back cover
light pieces out to cover
medium, heavy stain full top of front cover through book
moderate bends to cover
moderate creasing to cover
moderate spine stress lines to cover

Endlessly fascinating how subjective this stuff is... I just took a look at both and I vastly prefer the 2.5 copy. *Much* more vibrant color strike (assuming the scans of both books are accurate).

On 2/27/2022 at 11:38 PM, Point Five said:

Endlessly fascinating how subjective this stuff is... I just took a look at both and I vastly prefer the 2.5 copy. *Much* more vibrant color strike (assuming the scans of both books are accurate).

Yeah I did notice the color on the 2.0 did look faded. I suppose it was the rusty staple (according to the notes) and also the ink blotches? on the 2.5 that did it for me. But yeah the color strike on the 2.5 is awesome. 

While I'm here, to me this is a great comic. Early L.B., interesting cover, awesome colors , very detailed art. I think it's an undervalued book. A 9.2 sold for 1,500 last month. https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/adventure/great-comics-1-novack-1945-cgc-vf-85-off-white-to-white-pages/a/122209-17556.s?ic2

Opera Snapshot_2022-02-28_001232_comics.ha.com.png

I did a little research just now on Great Comics #1. Seems there is a "Barrel of Fun" variant , a "Knockout" variant, and a Jubilee variant , plus the regular issue. . I'm sure to many here this is common knowledge but to me it's new. I never noticed this. Also there are a lot of very high grade examples of all four "variants". There must be some story as to why the great majority of a book from 1945 are 8.0's and better. 

https://www.cgccomics.com/census/grades_standard.asp?title=Great+Comics&issue=1&publisher=Novack&year=1945&issuedate=1945

On 2/27/2022 at 9:18 PM, Professor K said:

The strong price on this go round might be due in part that this copy here certainly does present a whole lot nicer than its assigned CGC 9.2 grade.  (thumbsu

Wonder what the Graders Notes would say on this copy here, but unfortunately it seems that I don't have access to the notes here.  :frown:

Edited by lou_fine

On 2/28/2022 at 12:53 AM, lou_fine said:

The strong price on this go round might be due in part that this copy here certainly does present a whole lot nicer than its assigned CGC 9.2 grade.(thumbsu

Wonder what the Graders Notes would say on this copy here, but unfortunately it seems that I don't have access to the notes here.  :frown:

give me a minute

On 2/27/2022 at 9:58 PM, Professor K said:

You wanted for the 8.5 right? Or another? 

Opera Snapshot_2022-02-28_005756_www.cgccomics.com.png

Well, I imagine it must have been the light multiple creases which knock the grade right back down all the way to a CGC 8.5 grade.  hm

I imagine CGC figured the submittor didn't pay his full dues yet because I can't see any creases from the scan no matter how much I blow it up. :devil:

And yet eye gouging rat chews and much larger and darker dust shadows on the Promise Collection books which can easily be seen with just the naked eye seemingly gets a free pass.  :censored:

Edited by lou_fine

Great Comics #1 was a warehouse find long ago if memory serves. It’s one of those GA books where (weirdly) there have been more high grade copies available than low grade! I think it’s a cool cover myself.

On 2/28/2022 at 8:44 AM, Point Five said:

Great Comics #1 was a warehouse find long ago if memory serves. It’s one of those GA books where (weirdly) there have been more high grade copies available than low grade! I think it’s a cool cover myself.

I remember Carbonaro had quite a few of them back in the day. Bought a couple, still have them. Should’ve bought more!

On 2/28/2022 at 3:44 AM, Point Five said:

I figured it must have been something like that. Or I thought someone just hoarded a bunch. Without doing the precise math it looks like over half of the about 100 graded are 9.0 or better. Crazy.

On 2/28/2022 at 7:50 PM, Terry JSA said:

I’d say around $80k. 

I think retail it's worth 110- 120k in todays market  but who knows in a bidding war. Nothing would surprise me.  For those with a low 6 figure budget this is the closest your are going to get for a complete unrestored Tec 27. Coverless Action 1 maybe 150k 

Edited by Chicago Boy

On 2/28/2022 at 10:00 PM, Chicago Boy said:

I think retail it's worth 110- 120k in todays market  but who knows in a bidding war. Nothing would surprise me.  For those with a low 6 figure budget this is the closest your are going to get for a complete unrestored Tec 27. Coverless Action 1 maybe 150k 

I would’ve said a higher amount, but like you said, who knows? A low 6 figure amount seems super reasonable for it since it’s an entry level copy.

Overall, it’ll be interesting to see how much it’ll go for in the signature auction nonetheless. 

Edited by Terry JSA

Have always love the bright blood red colors on this early Jumbo cover by Fine and thought it might have gone for a bit more than the $2,640 it did fetched:  :luhv:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/adventure/jumbo-comics-11-fiction-house-1940-cgc-vg-40-off-white-to-white-pages/a/122209-17644.s?ic2=mytracked-lotspage-lotlinks-12202013&tab=MyTrackedLots-101116#

Golden Age (1938-1955):Adventure, Jumbo Comics #11 (Fiction House, 1940) CGC VG 4.0 Off-white to white pages....

Then again, it has always been a much underappreciated Fine cover and seems to have gotten lost amongst all of his other great classic covers,  I guess it doesn't help when Overstreet hasn't even broken this book out yet and simply lumps it in together with the later Eisner cover issues. :(

I noticed that Heritage did managed to sell the CGC 9.6 graded Church copy of this book for just under $15K back in 2016 and then the book was auctioned off again by CC for $24K a couple years later in 2018.  (thumbsu

Edited by lou_fine

On 2/28/2022 at 11:07 PM, Terry JSA said:

I would’ve said a higher amount, but like you said, who knows? A low 6 figure amount seems super reasonable for it since it’s an entry level copy.

Overall, it’ll be interesting to see how much it’ll go for in the signature auction nonetheless. 

Easily over 100k 

When is the last time had one came for public sale 4-5 years

Complete unrestored 

Im going to say 120k ish  

On 3/1/2022 at 2:51 AM, lou_fine said:

Have always love the bright blood red colors on this early Jumbo cover by Fine and thought it might have gone for a bit more than the $2,640 it did fetched:  :luhv:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/adventure/jumbo-comics-11-fiction-house-1940-cgc-vg-40-off-white-to-white-pages/a/122209-17644.s?ic2=mytracked-lotspage-lotlinks-12202013&tab=MyTrackedLots-101116#

Golden Age (1938-1955):Adventure, Jumbo Comics #11 (Fiction House, 1940) CGC VG 4.0 Off-white to white pages....

Then again, it has always been a much underappreciated Fine cover and seems to have gotten lost amongst all of his other great classic covers,  I guess it doesn't help when Overstreet hasn't even broken this book out yet and simply lumps it in together with the later Eisner cover issues. :(

I noticed that Heritage did managed to sell the CGC 9.6 graded Church copy of this book for just under $15K back in 2016 and then the book was auctioned off again by CC for $24K a couple years later in 2018.  (thumbsu

I think it was a straight sale the second time.  I was the underbidder at HA and I regret not being more aggressive.  

On 3/1/2022 at 8:14 AM, zen514 said:

Easily over 100k 

When is the last time had one came for public sale 4-5 years

Complete unrestored 

Im going to say 120k ish  

Just checked GPA

The last coverless complete  unrestored was actually this same copy 

In 2015   march

so 7 years  ago

On 3/1/2022 at 7:01 AM, buttock said:

I think it was a straight sale the second time.  I was the underbidder at HA and I regret not being more aggressive.  

Went back and you are dead on correct here as it shows up in the latter portion of their auction archives where the straight sales are kept. (thumbsu

It's hard to tell if you would have won the book anyways even if you had gone a couple more bid increments higher.  Especially since the winner might have been willing to go several bid increments higher.  Especially if the winner at the <$15K price point was Fishler himself  :devil: who possibly knew he could find a buyer at a much higher price point if he was patient enough.  Still, it would have been nice if you had won it and to see the book going to a much longer term loving home. :frown:

Surprisingly, this Jumbo 11 still seems to be one of those very few still to be discovered and fully appreciated gems from Fine.  Probably due in part to the fact that the collecting base is much more familiar with the Jumbo 10 with its highly popular classic cover which had been broken out by Overstreet decades ago.  Not so much for the Jumbo 11 with no mention at all about the Fine cover artwork except for a tiny notation buried deep in the liner notes at the end of the title.  Also interesting to note that Jumbo 11 is also actually a much tougher book to find with its census count at only 20 in total including restored copies, or running at just a bit more than half of the total census count of 36 for the much more pricier Jumbo 10.  hm   :luhv: