• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage's Next Event Auction has started posting books !
31 31

8,077 posts in this topic

On 1/20/2022 at 8:36 AM, buttock said:

Not to mention some dude randomly dropping in on the back in outer space.  It's a beautiful image, but absolutely ridiculous in content.  

There’s a weird charm to the absurdity now and its reflection of the general public’s lack of understanding off space related concepts back then …like zero gravity, absence of sound waves, extreme temperature swings in space right outside the earths atmosphere, etc.  Science fiction had a lot more fiction than science in it in the 50s for sure.

On 1/20/2022 at 11:49 AM, szav said:

There’s a weird charm to the absurdity now and its reflection of the general public’s lack of understanding off space related concepts back then …like zero gravity, absence of sound waves, extreme temperature swings in space right outside the earths atmosphere, etc.  Science fiction had a lot more fiction than science in it in the 50s for sure.

Any yet in 1931, sci fi pulps recognized the possibility of superluminal travel via warping of space.  Go figure!   Love the quirky/absurd sci fi stuff in comics.  

On 1/20/2022 at 10:36 AM, buttock said:

Not to mention some dude randomly dropping in on the back in outer space.  It's a beautiful image, but absolutely ridiculous in content.  

Haha. Yup.  I love how this guy is hanging on unsteadily. That’s a nice touch by Frazetta.  Like an outer space pirate!   Where’s Buck Rogers though?  Or was he not on every cover in the run?. 

On 1/20/2022 at 10:36 AM, buttock said:

The dude jumped from his spaceship that is just out of view.  The bigger question is why he has wind-blown hair.  In space.

On 1/21/2022 at 8:06 AM, tth2 said:

This discussion reminds me of a similar discussion years ago when some Boardies were complaining that they couldn't get into "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon" because they found Wire Fu to be unrealistic.

Then they went back to their conversation as to whether Superman could pick up Mjolnir.

CTHD was the first movie of this type widely shown in the West.  There's a Chinese superhero tradition, but it's not labeled "superhero" so confuses people the first time they see such movies, even though they've been around for decades. 

On 1/21/2022 at 4:14 PM, adamstrange said:

CTHD was the first movie of this type widely shown in the West.  There's a Chinese superhero tradition, but it's not labeled "superhero" so confuses people the first time they see such movies, even though they've been around for decades. 

MV5BYjk5N2JhZDItYTQ1MS00YjQ2LWI1ZTQtZGNkODcwY2VmZGRkXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNTM3MDMyMDQ@._V1_-1.jpg

Edited by Flex Mentallo

On 1/21/2022 at 6:06 AM, tth2 said:

This discussion reminds me of a similar discussion years ago when some Boardies were complaining that they couldn't get into "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon" because they found Wire Fu to be unrealistic.

Then they went back to their conversation as to whether Superman could pick up Mjolnir.

I prefer the realism of Bollywood. 

On 1/21/2022 at 9:14 AM, adamstrange said:

On 1/21/2022 at 10:13 AM, Flex Mentallo said:

for those not familiar, Anita Miu was a great star

If we're going to talk Crouching Tiger and awesome Wire Fu I must mention my favorite Zhang Ziyi who is still burned into my mind from this move during the movie...

https://images.app.goo.gl/TqLfKySVsVVfrqqL8

Damn these Gifs can't get em to post clean ever...

Interestingly all these years later even in her early 40's she still looks young enough to earn roles playing 17 year olds...Rebel Princes was not good, and her martial arts skills were not on display...but yes, these sorts of shows are still huge in China, and many of the more popular series like The Untamed are making their way to Netflix and other streaming services.

image.png.2c7480d4fa55b3a1f9c3746637cc48ab.png

Edited by szav