• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage's Next Event Auction has started posting books !
31 31

8,077 posts in this topic

On 1/22/2022 at 5:19 PM, Flex Mentallo said:
On 1/22/2022 at 9:59 AM, tth2 said:

Have you watched the new biopic movie about her?

I caught the reviews and it sounded disappointing, but if you recommend it, I'd give it a try.

Haven't watched it myself.  Not really a fan of Anita Mui.

Objectively speaking, Kung Fu Hustle is the greatest Chinese superhero film ever.

On 1/23/2022 at 4:16 AM, Flex Mentallo said:

Great movie! Stephen Chow is a genius. Have you seen Journey to the West?

Yes, but it's not as good.  Shaolin Soccer would be my #2 recommendation for a Stephen Chow film.

Dragon Inn and A Touch of Zen are both available in North America in beautiful editions from Criterion.  Currently $21 each on Amazon.

That said, they are not necessarily going to resonate to people whose main movie diet is modern superhero action movie.  Kung Fu Hustle is quirky but accessible, with an appreciation that will likely grow over time the more you understand the history of the Wu Xia cinematic tradition.

A Touch of Zen (The Criterion Collection) [Blu-ray]

Dragon Inn (The Criterion Collection) [Blu-ray]

On 1/22/2022 at 5:33 PM, tth2 said:

Haven't watched it myself.  Not really a fan of Anita Mui.

Better not let my better half hear you saying that since she's a big fan of Anita Mui.  (tsk)

Isn't Anita more famous for being a singer than being a movie/TV star, and if so, I much prefer Teresa Teng who rose from poverty to Asian fame with her magical angelic singing voice before her untimely death.  :luhv:  

On 1/23/2022 at 1:16 AM, Flex Mentallo said:
On 1/22/2022 at 6:40 PM, adamstrange said:

Objectively speaking, Kung Fu Hustle is the greatest Chinese superhero film ever.

Great movie! Stephen Chow is a genius. Have you seen Journey to the West?

Well, if you are talking about Asian sourced movies, the TV series that I really liked was Iris which was a South Korean espionage spy thriller:  (thumbsu

IRIS Intertitle.jpg

With cast featuring Lee Byung-Hun before his move to Hollywood to play the role of Storm Shadow in GI Joe along with several other Hollywood movie roles.  And you certainly can't complain about Kim Tae-hee who is definitely easy on the eyes and long acknowledged by many to be one of the most beautiful women from South Korea.  A fast paced action spy thriller from 2009 that is available on Netflix and a show which I liked a lot better than the much overhyped Squid Game.  :luhv: