• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage's Next Event Auction has started posting books !
31 31

8,077 posts in this topic

Yes, there are many k-dramas superior to Squid Game, and Kim Tae Hee is in quite a few. I'll have to dig around on my computer. In the best of them, the annoying penchant for cloying sentimentality is absent. KTH is excellent at playing ruthless femme fatales!

Edited by Flex Mentallo

On 1/25/2022 at 6:27 AM, lou_fine said:

Isn't Anita more famous for being a singer than being a movie/TV star

Yes

On 1/25/2022 at 6:27 AM, lou_fine said:

if so, I much prefer Teresa Teng who rose from poverty to Asian fame with her magical angelic singing voice before her untimely death

Yes, you fit the Teresa Teng demographic pretty much perfectly. lol

On 1/24/2022 at 7:34 PM, tth2 said:

Yes, you fit the Teresa Teng demographic pretty much perfectly. lol

Are you saying that you fit the Jackie Chan demographic then, even though Teresa being the much bigger star at the time was smart enough to dump him for being the apparently terrible person that he was.  (thumbsu

Of course, he then went on to get himself married off to Joan Lin, an Asian superstar actress and screen godness who was clearly much much bigger than Jackie at the time, who then went on to confirmed to everybody just how truly terrible of a husband, father, and family man that he was.  :boo:

Hey, isn't it about time that Heritage started to post some half decent books for their upcoming auction so that we can all get back on topic here?  Before you know it, we are all going to get sent to the CGC sin bin by @CGC Mike for getting so completely off topic here and we have only Heritage to blame for it.  lol

On 1/21/2022 at 5:57 PM, tth2 said:

Boy did this thread just take a detour! :ohnoez:

Yeah, I am totally surprised that @CGC Mike didn't give us all a verbal spanking for taking this thread right off the rails here.  (:

So, to try to get this thread back onto the rails, I guess this goes to show that you don't have to wait through the horrendous CGC TAT's in order to sell your books at a half decent price:  (thumbsu

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/superhero/mystery-men-comics-6-fox-1940-condition-gd-/a/122204-17685.s?type=bidnotice-tracked-endofauction

Golden Age (1938-1955):Superhero, Mystery Men Comics #6 (Fox, 1940) Condition: GD+....

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/superhero/mystery-men-comics-9-fox-1940-condition-gd/a/122204-17686.s?type=bidnotice-tracked-endofauction

Golden Age (1938-1955):Superhero, Mystery Men Comics #9 (Fox, 1940) Condition: GD....

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/superhero/mystery-men-comics-15-fox-1940-condition-vg-/a/122204-17687.s?type=bidnotice-tracked-endofauction

Golden Age (1938-1955):Superhero, Mystery Men Comics #15 (Fox, 1940) Condition: VG-....

All of these raw copies of Mystery Men's sold for somewhere between triple and quadruple condition guide value in this past Monday's Heritage Auction, which is probably what they might have sold for even if they had been graded.  :whatthe:   :applause:

Edited by lou_fine

And I guess this auction result here goes to show that PLOD books are not necessarily the "kiss of death" when it comes to selling:  (thumbsu

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/superhero/whirlwind-comics-3-nita-publication-1940-cgc-apparent-vg-45-slight-b-1-off-white-pages/a/122204-17930.s?type=bidnotice-tracked-endofauction#

lf?set=path%5B2%2F5%2F2%2F6%2F2%2F25262920%5D&call=url%5Bfile%3Aproduct.chain%5D

Have always liked this short 3-issue run and it looks like this restored copy of Whirlwind Comics 3 was still able to fetch double contion guide value even while residing in the much dread PLOD slab.  :whatthe: :applause:

On 1/26/2022 at 8:35 PM, lou_fine said:

Yeah, I am totally surprised that @CGC Mike didn't give us all a verbal spanking for taking this thread right off the rails here.  (:

So, to try to get this thread back onto the rails, I guess this goes to show that you don't have to wait through the horrendous CGC TAT's in order to sell your books at a half decent price:  (thumbsu

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/superhero/mystery-men-comics-6-fox-1940-condition-gd-/a/122204-17685.s?type=bidnotice-tracked-endofauction

Golden Age (1938-1955):Superhero, Mystery Men Comics #6 (Fox, 1940) Condition: GD+....

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/superhero/mystery-men-comics-9-fox-1940-condition-gd/a/122204-17686.s?type=bidnotice-tracked-endofauction

Golden Age (1938-1955):Superhero, Mystery Men Comics #9 (Fox, 1940) Condition: GD....

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/superhero/mystery-men-comics-15-fox-1940-condition-vg-/a/122204-17687.s?type=bidnotice-tracked-endofauction

Golden Age (1938-1955):Superhero, Mystery Men Comics #15 (Fox, 1940) Condition: VG-....

All of these raw copies of Mystery Men's sold for somewhere between triple and quadruple condition guide value in this past Monday's Heritage Auction, which is probably what they might have sold for even if they had been graded.  :whatthe:   :applause:

I love the first 12 issues of this run. The covers are some of the coolest images of the GA. I’m not as big a fan of the shift to less color on the covers.

On 1/26/2022 at 11:59 PM, lou_fine said:

And I guess this auction result here goes to show that PLOD books are not necessarily the "kiss of death" when it comes to selling:  (thumbsu

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/superhero/whirlwind-comics-3-nita-publication-1940-cgc-apparent-vg-45-slight-b-1-off-white-pages/a/122204-17930.s?type=bidnotice-tracked-endofauction#

lf?set=path%5B2%2F5%2F2%2F6%2F2%2F25262920%5D&call=url%5Bfile%3Aproduct.chain%5D

Have always liked this short 3-issue run and it looks like this restored copy of Whirlwind Comics 3 was still able to fetch double contion guide value even while residing in the much dread PLOD slab.  :whatthe: :applause:

Yep, neat run! Again, guide value (on this or any other GA) is almost comically irrelevant at this point.

On 1/27/2022 at 10:22 AM, Point Five said:

For early Fox books with this eye appeal, and especially by the standards of today's robust market... these are not particularly high prices.  2c 

Agree. Was expecting 1.5-2x those closing prices, given how insane everything else cool is right now. 

On 1/27/2022 at 8:54 AM, october said:
On 1/27/2022 at 8:22 AM, Point Five said:

For early Fox books with this eye appeal, and especially by the standards of today's robust market... these are not particularly high prices.  2c 

Agree. Was expecting 1.5-2x those closing prices, given how insane everything else cool is right now. 

Maybe they would have had to been graded and slabbed in order to reach the even higher multiples which you are alluding to.  (shrug)

On 1/27/2022 at 6:54 AM, IngelsFan said:

I love the first 12 issues of this run. The covers are some of the coolest images of the GA. I’m not as big a fan of the shift to less color on the covers.

Looks like we are both thinking the same way as my initial interest in the run was primarily only in the first 11 issues of the Mystery Men run, although I would have to admit that the last few issues of the run are also quite colorful and enticing.  (thumbsu  :luhv:

As an aside, I remember talking to Jon Berk when he was in the process of acquiring the Church copies for the Mystery Men run and he told me that he was primarily interested in the Mystery Men 1 -10, and not so much for the remaining issues in the rest of the run.  Fortunately for him though as it turned out, it was an either all or nothing proposition from Geppi and Overstreet at the time, and he very wisely decided to mannup and take it all.  Especially when the later issues in the run are just so much relatively tougher to find in any kind of condition, with some of them like the later Wonderworld issues, having only a handful or less in the CGC census to date.:applause: :cloud9:

Edited by lou_fine

Got an email today from Heritage that said that the April 7-10 auction will be  "Our final Signature auction of the Promise Collection."

When I search Promise on Heritage I find that they have sold 2601 books from the collection and have a further 630 at auction now or coming up soon.  That's a little over 3200 books.  I thought the collection numbered about 5000 books.  Can none of the last 1800 books warrant being in a Signature Auction? Thoughts?

On 1/29/2022 at 3:09 AM, Alzabar said:

Got an email today from Heritage that said that the April 7-10 auction will be  "Our final Signature auction of the Promise Collection."

When I search Promise on Heritage I find that they have sold 2601 books from the collection and have a further 630 at auction now or coming up soon.  That's a little over 3200 books.  I thought the collection numbered about 5000 books.  Can none of the last 1800 books warrant being in a Signature Auction? Thoughts?

They mentioned at one time that many of the books had rodent chews. Some could be worse than what we've seen.

On 1/29/2022 at 3:14 AM, jimbo_7071 said:

They mentioned at one time that many of the books had rodent chews. Some could be worse than what we've seen.

Interesting! Since CGC gave a pass to the nibbles on otherwise pretty books, it would be kind of fascinating to see how they would handle a big chew.

On 1/29/2022 at 8:18 AM, Point Five said:

Interesting! Since CGC gave a pass to the nibbles on otherwise pretty books, it would be kind of fascinating to see how they would handle a big chew.

I don't think you'll see a book with a big chew get submitted unless it's a key.

On 1/28/2022 at 3:22 AM, Point Five said:

I was thinking the same thing. Look at the Graded U.S Jones 2 on HA this week. Price is already sky high and probably going much higher. 

On 1/29/2022 at 12:14 AM, jimbo_7071 said:

Alright, some more rat chewed Promise books. If they don’t call them “production flaws” maybe I got a chance…:roflmao:

On 1/29/2022 at 1:14 AM, jimbo_7071 said:

Are they running DNA test to confirm what type of rodent chewed the books?  I only collect ones chewed by mice and not rats.