• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage's Next Event Auction has started posting books !
31 31

8,226 posts in this topic

On 3/22/2022 at 4:06 PM, lou_fine said:

Nah...........with the current mounting crisis in terms of the supply chain issues, it's really all about that delicious and rather appetizing looking little porker himself. lol

Yes, but definitely less so than the old days as my preference is more towards HTF books at reasonable prices which seldom comes around nowadays. :(

Although I did pick up a raw copy of More Fun 127 (probably in the G/VG range or thereabouts) at a local con a couple weekends ago.  Figured it was a reasonable price at the equivalent of $110 USD or something like 1.5X condition guide for the scarcer HTF last issue of More Fun, with a total of still only 4 copies graded and slabbed to date so far.  So, I guess it's either rare or possibly a book that most collectors don't figure it's even worth the cost of grading.  :luhv:  :takeit:

Let's see a picture! (It was the equivalent of $110 USD? Are you outside the US?)

On 3/23/2022 at 12:07 AM, lou_fine said:
On 3/22/2022 at 11:30 PM, Gotham Kid said:
On 3/22/2022 at 11:26 PM, lou_fine said:

Werewolf by Night 32 sold for something ridiculous like $70,500

:eyeroll:

Was that $70,499 higher than your max bid for the book?  lol

Might as well light your $ on fire :facepalm:

On 3/23/2022 at 11:03 AM, Dark Knight said:

Might as well light your $ on fire :facepalm:

Well, if you think $70,500 is a lot, then you've got a whole lot more to burn and a much bigger fire in the end with this book here at $264K:  :whatthe:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/bronze-age-1970-1979-/marvel-spotlight-5-ghost-rider-marvel-1972-cgc-nm-mt-98-white-pages/a/7244-91011.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

Bronze Age (1970-1979):Superhero, Marvel Spotlight #5 Ghost Rider (Marvel, 1972) CGC NM/MT 9.8 White pages....

On 3/23/2022 at 12:13 PM, lou_fine said:

Well, if you think $70,500 is a lot, then you've got a whole lot more to burn and a much bigger fire in the end with this book here at $264K:  :whatthe:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/bronze-age-1970-1979-/marvel-spotlight-5-ghost-rider-marvel-1972-cgc-nm-mt-98-white-pages/a/7244-91011.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

Bronze Age (1970-1979):Superhero, Marvel Spotlight #5 Ghost Rider (Marvel, 1972) CGC NM/MT 9.8 White pages....

Well, WWBN #32 in CGC 9.8 has 19 copies graded as of date while MS #5 in 9.8 only has 4. So roughly 5x more 9.8 copies of WWBN #32 than MS #5.  I'm not at all validating the price paid for the MS #5 is a fair price, I still think it's overpriced but between this and the WWBN #32, I'd rather put my $ on the MS #5.  It also has a cooler cover, probably my favorite cover of the bronze age.

On 3/22/2022 at 9:35 PM, lou_fine said:

Sadly for me at least, arrived too late and left way too early after the big GA rush in the mid-90's when I thought books had already pretty much gone past my budget by that point in time. :(  

Hence, didn't really get too many truly HTF books in the old days except for a few early pre-hero DC books when I first started before I made the typical move into much more common DC and other mundane GA super hero books. 

Needless to say, nowhere even close to some of the truly HTF books (eg. New Adventure 26, 27, etc. :luhv:) which you and some of the other boardies have been posting here, but at least I get to enjoy them through various posts from other boardies here.  (thumbsu

Quit your whining and post the Allentown Mysterymen 10! :popcorn:

On 3/23/2022 at 4:21 PM, MrBedrock said:

Quit your whining and post the Allentown Mysterymen 10! :popcorn:

Hey Richard;

Since I remember sending you a picture of it some years ago, you are more than welcome to post it here and it would certainly be nice to see.  (thumbsu

Now, if you are going to wait for me to find the software or take the time to try to figure out how to do this first, I'll probably be in that big comic shop in the sky before that ever happens.  :facepalm:  lol

BTW:  I highly doubt that my Allentown copy of Mystery Men 10 would compare to your gorgeous CGC 9.4 highest graded Church copy of Mystery Men 10 from the Jon Berk Collection.  :luhv:  :applause:

Edited by lou_fine

On 3/23/2022 at 6:37 PM, lou_fine said:

Hey Richard;

Since I remember sending you a picture of it some years ago, you are more than welcome to post it here and it would certainly be nice to see.  (thumbsu

Now, if you are going to wait for me to find the software or take the time to try to figure out how to do this first, I'll probably be in that big comic shop in the sky before that ever happens.  :facepalm:  lol

BTW:  I highly doubt that my Allentown copy of Mystery Men 10 would compare to your gorgeous CGC 9.4 highest graded Church copy of Mystery Men 10 from the Jon Berk Collection.  :luhv:  :applause:

Cool. I will see if I can track it down. It definitely compares equally to the Church.

On 3/23/2022 at 3:04 PM, Dark Knight said:

Well, WWBN #32 in CGC 9.8 has 19 copies graded as of date while MS #5 in 9.8 only has 4. So roughly 5x more 9.8 copies of WWBN #32 than MS #5.  I'm not at all validating the price paid for the MS #5 is a fair price, I still think it's overpriced but between this and the WWBN #32, I'd rather put my $ on the MS #5.  It also has a cooler cover, probably my favorite cover of the bronze age.

Totally agree with your point about MS 5 being not only a tougher book to find in grade, but also the fact that Ghost Rider, as compared to Moon Knight, is a much more popular and well known character to the general public and broader marketplace given his movie and TV exposure.  (thumbsu

In fact, Moon Knight is such a forgettable character that I never even realized that I had a copy of WWBN 32 and 33 in my personal collection until I was rummaging through one of my comic book boxes last year and came across copies of both of them.  No doubt they were only placeholders until I could find nicer condition copies since they would probably grade out to only somewhere in the 6.0 to 7.0 range or thereabouts.  Obviously, I must have completely forgotten about upgrading them because Moon Knight was such a forgettable minor character, but still nice to see them sitting in their original polybags with their 40 cents price tags still on the bag.  I am just totally shocked that I would have even picked up those 2 books at the time, as I certainly can't remember having any interest in Moon Knight at all.  Needless to say though, but looking retroactively backwards now, I am certainly glad I did.  :)  :takeit:

As for Marvel Spotlight 5, you are 110% right as it's going straight :Rocket: to the moon, especially since I have a HG copy of that book (no doubt along with most other long time collectors here though lol) somewhere in my personal collection. :banana: :whee:

Edited by lou_fine

I concur. Moon Knight is strictly B rate. Plus I sold my wwbn 32 9.0 w for 1,700 in 2020. What a fiasco that was. Still a little traumatized.

I was wondering about the Detective Comics 6 5.5 R ending tonight. It's a Church copy from Jon Berk. Bad enough someone color touched it..... but trimming it? How do you suppose this happened?

Who would trim a Mile High? Unless they were a mile high at the time. I just don't get it.I'm guessing it was done sometime between 1977 and before CGC became a thing.

Opera Snapshot_2022-03-27_191108_comics.ha.com.pnghttps://comics.ha.com/itm/platinum-age-1897-1937-/miscellaneous/detective-comics-6-mile-high-pedigree-trimmed-dc-1937-cgc-apparent-fn-55-slight-c-1-off-white-to-white-pages/a/122213-17269.s?ic2

Edited by Professor K
Link Added

On 3/27/2022 at 4:16 PM, Professor K said:

I sold my wwbn 32 9.0 w for 1,700 in 2020. What a fiasco that was. Still a little traumatized.

Well, if you feel a bit traumatized over a WWBN 32, just imagine how all of the sellers for AF 15 from just say 5 years ago must feel right about now.  doh! :mad:  :censored:

Edited by lou_fine

On 3/27/2022 at 4:42 PM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:
On 3/27/2022 at 4:28 PM, lou_fine said:

Well, if you feel a bit traumatized over a WWBN 32, just imagine how all of the sellers for AF 15 from just say 5 years ago must feel right about now.  doh! :mad:  :censored:

I’m traumatized for missing my window 

Are you referring to your "buy window" for AF 15 or your "sell window" for MS 5 and the other similarly hot, but relatively available BA and CA books that seems to be easing quite a bit in terms of their pricing from last year?  hm

On 3/27/2022 at 5:23 PM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

I never felt the need to rush into the purchase of an AF 15 because they were absolutely everywhere. D’oh!

Oh I see, the "buy window" for AF 15...................yes, even though there was an extended pause in the prices for awhile there, the book has always sold for either huge premiums or multiples to condition guide.  :frown:

Especially since the last time I remember a copy selling for a significant discount to condition guide was back in 2016 when a VF+ 8.5 graded copy sold for some 30%+ below condition guide.  Now, that was a perfectly reasonably priced copy for you to have picked up back then even though I still remembered most boardies saying at the time that the buyer was not only going to lose their shirt, but also their pants to pay that kind of bloated price for what must obviously be an overgraded copy since it was graded by the boys across the street.  doh! lol

Edited by lou_fine

On 3/28/2022 at 1:23 AM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

I never felt the need to rush into the purchase of an AF 15 because they were absolutely everywhere. D’oh!

I didn't buy a copy in 2010, nor in 2015 or in 2020. And quite frankly I don't care.

On 3/27/2022 at 8:39 PM, Gotham Kid said:

I didn't buy a copy in 2010, nor in 2015 or in 2020. And quite frankly I don't care.

Hey Peter;

I wish you would stop beating around the bush and just simply come right out straight and tell us how you really feel about this AF 15 book here.  lol

Edited by lou_fine