• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage's Next Event Auction has started posting books !
31 31

7,854 posts in this topic

On 3/30/2022 at 5:55 AM, Krydel4 said:

From Mile Highs Website:

"After I finished loading most of the file books from the main room of the basement, the heirs asked me if I had any interest in old magazines. When I assured them that I did, they led me to a room in the far end of the basement. This room was set up much like a pantry, with shelves lining the walls. What was shocking to me about this room was that it only contained one shelf unit of old pulp magazines. All the other shelves were completely bare! Given that the entire rest of the basement was packed to the ceiling with all manner of paper, this was totally abnormal.

The magazines that were in the room were primarily WEIRD TALES and SPICY DETECTIVE pulps. I had seen covers for other pulp magazines in some of the books of clippings I had salvaged, but these were the first whole magazines I had seen in the basement. I told the heirs that I wasn't really an expert in pulps, but that I had some friends in Boulder who sold them regularly. I promised I would come back the following week with my friends, and that they would offer them a substantial amount for the pulp magazines.

I then asked them why the rest of that very copious room was completely empty. The heirs hemmed and hawed, and told me they didn't know. It didn't take me long to reach the conclusion, however, that the room had once been full, and that someone had emptied it. I had already seen the empty shelves in the main basement room from where the huge batch of reference files that I saw set out for the trash men (on my first visit) had been extracted, so those couldn't have been in the contents of that second room. My best guess is that whatever was in that second room was sent off to the dump before I made my first visit.

In the many discussions I've had with people about the contents of that second room, the general conclusion that we've reached is that the room contained Church's collection of humor comics. We've extrapolated this conclusion from the fact that there are some very unusual holes in the runs of super-hero comics that were in the walk-in closet from which I obtained the Golden Age. At the same time, there were a tantalizing samplings of humor comics, such as LOONEY TUNES #1, ANIMAL COMICS #1, and all the LITTLE LULU Four Color issues, mixed in with the super-hero comics. If Church was buying all the comics being printed, where were all the humor comics? Wouldn't it make sense that if Church was roughly sorting his super-hero/adventure comics into one room, while his humor books went into the second, that a few books would get put into the wrong closet? That would explain why a few of the super-hero books were missing from otherwise complete runs, and why a few humor books were mixed in with the super-heroes. Sadly, I think the most likely scenario is that all the humor comics were sent to the dump prior to my arrival. If that was the case, then the collection of Golden Age that everyone acknowledges as the best ever discovered in the history of the hobby, was actually half destroyed prior to my arrival."

It's his recollection, but having been to several estate sales and when asking about magazines, newspapers, pulps and the like and being told that "that junk" was hauled off to the dump to clean up the place (this is before the time of google, ebay and smart phones when you couldn't asses the value of an item instantly), it rings to true me. We'll never really know though.

The biggest disappointment about the Promise collection for me was that there were not more Duck books.  Given that its time frame was the sweet spot for Ducks, I had high hopes that it would fill the odd void in the Church collection.  

But such was not to be.  There were a few, but not that many.  Young Armand was clearly more interested in books with scantily clad women on them. 

On 3/29/2022 at 9:30 PM, tth2 said:
  On 3/29/2022 at 1:08 PM, Professor K said:

One more thing to note: I noticed there are no Church Detective's on that list between issues 25 and 38. I wonder why. I wonder if they are out there..............somewhere.

On 3/29/2022 at 9:30 PM, tth2 said:

They do exist and they are out there, mostly somewhere in Northern Virginia.  But the Church Detective 27, which was recently slabbed, resides further north.

I know where the #26 is hiding, it's not in Northern Virginia.

On 3/30/2022 at 12:30 AM, tth2 said:

They do exist and they are out there, mostly somewhere in Northern Virginia.  But the Church Detective 27, which was recently slabbed, resides further north.

On 3/30/2022 at 12:39 AM, RareHighGrade said:

I know where the #26 is hiding, it's not in Northern Virginia.

Ok so there are Church Detectives 26 to 37? I wonder why they were left off this list. 

https://github.com/roblarsen/Edgar-Church-Collection-Data/blob/master/src/D-F.csv

https://itsalljustcomics.com/2016/04/07/edgar-church-collection-data-released/

1798015107-unfrozencavemanlawyer.jpg

On 3/30/2022 at 12:04 AM, Professor K said:

Ok so there are Church Detectives 26 to 37? I wonder why they were left off this list. 

Did you check for Action 1 - 21 or also any of the Planet Comics or do they also not exist?  lol

Edited by lou_fine

On 3/29/2022 at 11:45 PM, lou_fine said:

Totally agree with you about all of the full helmeted Doctor Fate covers, although you certainly can't help but to also love the classic Spectre covers on More Fun 54 and More Fun 65.  :luhv:

If you are into the full helmet Doctor Fate look, the cover that I would go after would be the classic More Fun 56 cover which is not only the first Doctor Fate cover, but seemingly also the hardest one to find since save for the Church copy which was auctioned off through CC back in 2017, I believe it's been pretty much a full decade since the last copy of MF 56 has come into the marketplace.  (thumbsu

The good news for you is that the Doctor Fate that's coming out in the DCEU version later this year is the full helmet version played as played by the former James Bond (i.e. Pierce Brosnan):  :)

https://www.giantfreakinrobot.com/ent/pierce-brosnan-doctor-fate-black-adam.html

Oh you can be sure 56 is on my hunt list, it is one of two covers I'm missing from that run. I've only had one opportunity to buy it in the last five years when a torn up incomplete copy was listed on Ebay (missing many pages, detached covers and wraps, soiled, stained) and I lost the bidding on it when it obviously went higher than expected (of course today I regret not bidding much higher, by todays comic prices it feels like a steal). I've tried making offers to board members who I see own the book, but unless its super low grade then it automatically is outside my budget (The 3.0 that was sold last year was even out of my grasp when it sold for just under $7,000)

Sigh. One day it shall be mine!

I'm always amazed by the wealth of information on these Boards. :applause:

Nice to know there are some here who can canfirm whether Church copies exist of books not on the list.

Two of my favorite books in my collection 'Star Comics 12' and Sure-Fire Comics 3(4) both peds, dont have a Church copy accounted for on the list ive seen, but I've always chalked this up to an error most likely.

On 3/30/2022 at 12:34 AM, tth2 said:

The biggest disappointment about the Promise collection for me was that there were not more Duck books. 

You're lucky there wasn't a FC 178 in 9.8.

On 3/30/2022 at 12:34 AM, tth2 said:

Young Armand was clearly more interested in books with scantily clad women on them. 

Not that there's anything wrong with that...

On 3/30/2022 at 10:41 PM, adamstrange said:
On 3/30/2022 at 12:34 PM, tth2 said:

The biggest disappointment about the Promise collection for me was that there were not more Duck books. 

You're lucky there wasn't a FC 178 in 9.8.

lol

On 3/30/2022 at 5:10 AM, Sauce Dog said:

Oh you can be sure 56 is on my hunt list, it is one of two covers I'm missing from that run. I've only had one opportunity to buy it in the last five years when a torn up incomplete copy was listed on Ebay (missing many pages, detached covers and wraps, soiled, stained) and I lost the bidding on it when it obviously went higher than expected (of course today I regret not bidding much higher, by todays comic prices it feels like a steal). I've tried making offers to board members who I see own the book, but unless its super low grade then it automatically is outside my budget (The 3.0 that was sold last year was even out of my grasp when it sold for just under $7,000)

Sigh. One day it shall be mine!

Bought my 56 (CGC purple 7.0 EP) from Gator on this board around 2008(?) I think. I do remember I paid him $1500. I think it's a $10K book now, if not more, with this ongoing escalation in GA prices. 56 is almost never offered for public sale anywhere. 

On 3/30/2022 at 3:59 AM, lou_fine said:

Did you check for Action 1 - 21 or also any of the Planet Comics or do they also not exist?  lol

I'm not saying anything exists or doesn't exist. Someone posted a Church list that appears to be legitimate and Detectives 26 through 37 are not on it. I was inquiring if they exist. If so then the list is not accurate. 

On 3/30/2022 at 5:04 PM, LDarkseid1 said:

So $69K with 8 days left until the live auction. I feel fairly confident this will break $120K.

Screen Shot 2022-03-30 at 9.03.13 AM.png

yet a Tec 33 8.0 sits at 50k ...very interesting. Seems like the bidding on the Tec27 almost felt "rushed" (it hit 69k in the first 2 days)

Edited by Gotham Kid

On 3/30/2022 at 9:25 AM, Professor K said:
On 3/30/2022 at 12:59 AM, lou_fine said:

I'm not saying anything exists or doesn't exist. Someone posted a Church list that appears to be legitimate and Detectives 26 through 37 are not on it. I was inquiring if they exist. If so then the list is not accurate. 

The Church list which you are most likely referring to is actually Chuck's Mile High Catalogue was never meant to be a complete list of all of the Church books, as it is really Chuck's remaining Church books that he still had left for sale at the time he came up with the catalog.  :gossip:

As such, it would not have the first $10,000 worth of books at Overstreet guide (e.g. Planet run, etc.) that Burrell kept as his payment for loaning (or giving ???) Chuck the $2,000 which he needed in order to acquire the entire collection from the Church family.  It would also exclude the books which he kkept for his own personal collection such as Red Raven and the Spirit comics, along with some of the runs or books which were sold off at the start such as the early Actions, early Batman Tec's, Suspense 3, etc.  (thumbsu

Can't figure out why he would keep the Red Raven book as opposed to either the Action 1 or the 'Tec 27, but then that's Chuck for you.  :bigsmile:

Edited by lou_fine

On 3/30/2022 at 3:37 PM, lou_fine said:

Can't figure out why he would keep the Red Raven book as opposed to either the Action 1 or the 'Tec 27, but then that's Chuck for you.  :bigsmile:

The obvious answer would be that he needed the cash, and the mega-keys were easier to move and for more money. But I'll bet he wishes he had hung on to a few more big ticket books.

On 3/30/2022 at 3:35 PM, jimbo_7071 said:

The obvious answer would be that he needed the cash...

Obvious to whom?

On 3/30/2022 at 2:37 PM, lou_fine said:

The Church list which you are most likely referring to is actually Chuck's Mile High Catalogue was never meant to be a complete list of all of the Church books, as it is really Chuck's remaining Church books that he still had left for sale at the time he came up with the catalog.  :gossip:

As such, it would not have the first $10,000 worth of books at Overstreet guide (e.g. Planet run, etc.) that Burrell kept as his payment for loaning (or giving ???) Chuck the $2,000 which he needed in order to acquire the entire collection from the Church family.  It would also exclude the books which he kkept for his own personal collection such as Red Raven and the Spirit comics, along with some of the runs or books which were sold off at the start such as the early Actions, early Batman Tec's, Suspense 3, etc.  (thumbsu

I think he held some of those big key runs and sold them later. The Actions including the #1 weren't brokered and sold until at least 79 or 80, and I believe the present owner bought them in '81. The Detective 33 and 38 were sold early, but I don't think the others were.

On 3/28/2022 at 7:18 PM, Sauce Dog said:

Damn, tonights auction had some strong prices for the raw More Fun Comics I was looking at. I know they are not epic stuff, but the trajectory of these prices compared to even last year is fun to watch.

Reveal hidden contents

Very surprised this went this far above $1k.

1918199459_ScreenShot2022-03-28at7_53_54PM.thumb.png.2afcb16b57e39531157c66e2341d0d4d.png

This #71 is a REMAINDERED copy with a xeroxed cover top (so a 0.5 universal, or maybe 3.0 qualified). I bought my 6.5 (A-1, Slight Restored) two years ago for $800.

639479737_ScreenShot2022-03-28at7_54_02PM.thumb.png.81fa0f6c1e3be12d127932c394568d08.png

This is the big surprise, it's basically brittle and incomplete missing SIX pages! Yes it displays well, but was honestly surprised it for the same amount a CGC 2.0 went for earlier this month.

1031562059_ScreenShot2022-03-28at7_53_40PM.thumb.png.f34721a85ad09ccebc7f8ae48425050a.png

I thought I bid pretty aggressively on the two Spectre covers, but was blown away by the final hammer prices. 

But then again a restored 2.0 of issue 60 sold for 2k on eBay this afternoon. 

On 3/30/2022 at 7:33 PM, D84 said:

I thought I bid pretty aggressively on the two Spectre covers, but was blown away by the final hammer prices. 

But then again a restored 2.0 of issue 60 sold for 2k on eBay this afternoon. 

I think I saw that one - but 2k seems like a steal now when compared to this #65 :D 

Spoiler

1055619874_ScreenShot2022-03-30at7_41_30PM.thumb.png.709886a9c2046bb341ab2f039a174f97.png