• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage's Next Event Auction has started posting books !
31 31

7,854 posts in this topic

On 4/2/2022 at 12:57 AM, lou_fine said:

No, really only for storage purposes where I have a lot of old stuff saved there that I couldn't bother copying over to my laptop.  (thumbsu

Desktop was for work a few years ago where they were still working with Windows 2000 or something like that.  :facepalm:  lol

I thought you were going to say that it was a Commodore PET.

On 4/2/2022 at 11:59 AM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

Was this Verzyl’s? I sat next to his kids when it sold in 2019

Don't think so. They were likely interested in the auction result to get a feel for the 9.8 they hold.

Edited by Gotham Kid

On 4/2/2022 at 9:17 AM, Gotham Kid said:

Don't think so. They were likely interested in the auction result to get a feel for the 9.8 they hold.

I always felt that their copy might achieve an especially phenomenal auction result. One that would surprise even the most jaded. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

On 4/2/2022 at 5:23 AM, jimbo_7071 said:

I thought you were going to say that it was a Commodore PET.

Hey, at the rate collectibles are going in this pandemic driven environment, if I had one of these it just might be a good idea to send it to Heritage and hope that Halperin or somebody will bid it up to a million dollars in their quest to expand the collectibles marketplace into new and undiscovered territory.  :devil:

On 4/2/2022 at 6:17 AM, Gotham Kid said:
On 4/2/2022 at 3:59 AM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

Was this Verzyl’s? I sat next to his kids when it sold in 2019

On 4/2/2022 at 9:03 AM, jimjum12 said:

I always felt that their copy might achieve an especially phenomenal auction result. One that would surprise even the most jaded. GOD BLESS...

How sure is everybody that this copy here would actually grade out to 9.8 or would the CGC graders be "intimidated" to give it the benefit of the doubt if borderline and award it a CGC 9.8 after all of the talk that has taken place about this copy over the decades?  hm  (shrug)

Edited by lou_fine

On 4/2/2022 at 2:23 PM, lou_fine said:

How sure is everybody that this copy here would actually grade out to 9.8 or would the CGC graders be "intimidated" to give it the benefit of the doubt if borderline and award it a CGC 9.8 after all of the talk that has taken place about this copy over the decades?  hm  (shrug)

Are you talking about the Allentown Cap? Isn't it already slabbed as a 9.8? (shrug)

(I personally don't think a book should get a 9.6 or 9.8 grade unless it has OWL 10 pages, but CGC has not yet solicited my advice.)

On 4/2/2022 at 11:59 AM, jimbo_7071 said:

Are you talking about the Allentown Cap? Isn't it already slabbed as a 9.8? (shrug)

(I personally don't think a book should get a 9.6 or 9.8 grade unless it has OWL 10 pages, but CGC has not yet solicited my advice.)

Yes, you are right with respect to the Allentown Cap 1, as it was my bad since I had Marvel Comics 1 in my mind for some reason there.  :facepalm:

On 3/31/2022 at 10:11 PM, tth2 said:

Sure there was, for pedigree copies perceived to be the best copy.  Of course prices and multiples weren't as extreme as they became post-CGC, but there could definitely be fierce competition for raw pedigree books and at the time it felt like prices for these books were crazy.

True - but you're conflating things.  

My point wasn't about pedigrees not garnering a pedigree premium prior to slabbing - some did - but because they were pedigrees and all that comes with that.  My point was about a premium being paid today purely on the basis of a book being the "sole highest graded" copy.  So, for simplicity, if it's not a pedigree and it is the sole highest graded copy, it still garners a premium today.  This phenomenon didn't exist pre-slab, as there were no "graded" copies or census.   

On 4/2/2022 at 1:11 PM, LearnedHand said:

My point wasn't about pedigrees not garnering a pedigree premium prior to slabbing - some did - but because they were pedigrees and all that comes with that.  My point was about a premium being paid today purely on the basis of a book being the "sole highest graded" copy.  So, for simplicity, if it's not a pedigree and it is the sole highest graded copy, it still garners a premium today.  This phenomenon didn't exist pre-slab, as there were no "graded" copies or census.   

That's just the way it is today. In the past just owning a book like a CA 1 or AF 15, DC 27, etc. would be cool enough in conversation, now it's all about the label and the number in the corner. That's the evolution that has been allowed to happen. 

On 4/2/2022 at 1:30 PM, Krydel4 said:

That's just the way it is today. In the past just owning a book like a CA 1 or AF 15, DC 27, etc. would be cool enough in conversation, now it's all about the label and the number in the corner. That's the evolution that has been allowed to happen. 

But this is only because now there IS a number in the corner!  Ipso facto 

On 4/2/2022 at 1:11 PM, LearnedHand said:

My point was about a premium being paid today purely on the basis of a book being the "sole highest graded" copy.

To each their own, but I certainly found it rather surprising that buyers were willing to pay rather seemingly insane premiums for this so-called "sole highest graded" copy back in the first decade or so of CGC's existence.  :screwy:

Especially when single highest graded was really still much more of a "transitory" nature at the time since certification was just starting out and most of these books were unable to hold onto this status for very long, especially when the CPR game came into full play.  doh!

On 4/2/2022 at 6:34 PM, lou_fine said:

To each their own, but I certainly found it rather surprising that buyers were willing to pay rather seemingly insane premiums for this so-called "sole highest graded" copy back in the first decade or so of CGC's existence.  :screwy:

Especially when single highest graded was really still much more of a "transitory" nature at the time since certification was just starting out and most of these books were unable to hold onto this status for very long, especially when the CPR game came into full play.  doh!

It isn't surprising if you understand narcissism. Any of us would be happy to acquire the nicest copy we could find of a given book, but the guys who must have the highest graded copy—even if it means paying ten times what the second-highest graded copy costs, even if the highest graded copy is very softly graded, even if the highest-graded copy doesn't have the best eye appeal or the nicest pages—are grandiose narcissists. Any hobby where competition comes into play attracts some of them. They think that they're better than everyone else, so they have to have nicer comics than anyone else.

And to be clear, they don't really care about the comics. They don't collect comics. They collect the admiration and envy of other collectors. That's what feeds their narcissism.

Edited by jimbo_7071

On 4/2/2022 at 3:47 PM, jimbo_7071 said:

They think that they're better than everyone else, so they have to have nicer comics than anyone else.

And to be clear, they don't really care about the comics. They don't collect comics. They collect the admiration and envy of other collectors. That's what feeds their narcissism.

I would like to think I'm about a 3.0 on the narcissist scale of my comic collection. But with a little less humility and a bit more ego, I could probably top out at a 4.0 or 4.5. 😛

On 4/2/2022 at 6:47 PM, jimbo_7071 said:

It isn't surprising if you understand narcissism. Any of us would be happy to acquire the nicest copy we could find of a given book, but the guys who must have the highest graded copy—even if it means paying ten times what the second-highest graded copy costs, even if the highest graded copy is very softly graded, even if the highest-graded copy doesn't have the best eye appeal or the nicest pages—are grandiose narcissists. Any hobby where competition comes into play attracts some of them. They think that they're better than everyone else, so they have to have nicer comics than anyone else.

Bold words but true with many people I suppose. The person who paid 44,000 for that 9.9 Transformers book on CL last year must have had a Narcissism level off the charts. 

Edited by Professor K
spelling correction

As I'm watching the coverless Tec 27 ........Does anyone remember the record for a coverless complete.  I believe it was the Action 1 on eBay a few years ago at 105k ? (or maybe that was the asking price and it didn't;t break 100k?). 

On 4/2/2022 at 2:23 PM, lou_fine said:

I could be wrong, but I believe the 9.8 is already slabbed.... might be pictured in CGC's gallery? GOD BLESS....

On 4/3/2022 at 12:03 AM, jimjum12 said:
On 4/2/2022 at 9:17 PM, Gotham Kid said:

Is it still theirs?  I assumed it was now owned by that centi-billionaire guy who briefly graced us with his presence.

On 4/3/2022 at 4:11 AM, LearnedHand said:
On 4/1/2022 at 10:11 AM, tth2 said:

Sure there was, for pedigree copies perceived to be the best copy.  Of course prices and multiples weren't as extreme as they became post-CGC, but there could definitely be fierce competition for raw pedigree books and at the time it felt like prices for these books were crazy.

No, I think the reason for the big demand for pedigree copies was primarily because they were perceived to be the best copies.

I imagine that if a non-pedigree copy of a book were known to be clearly superior to any of the known pedigree copies, then it would've been highly sought after and commanded the highest prices.

For example, the non-pedigree copy of Superman 1 that is in Anderson's collection now.  Perhaps the many knowledgeable folks here can come up with other GA examples.  I can certainly think of examples in the SA market.

On 4/3/2022 at 4:30 AM, Krydel4 said:

There have ALWAYS been collectors for whom simply owning a copy was not enough, and who wanted to have the best copy. 

If that weren't the case, then there'd have been no reason for the concept of grades and "high grade" to have existed before CGC.

On 4/3/2022 at 6:47 AM, jimbo_7071 said:

lol Bitter much?