• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage's Next Event Auction has started posting books !
31 31

7,854 posts in this topic

On 3/30/2022 at 6:43 PM, Sauce Dog said:

I think I saw that one - but 2k seems like a steal now when compared to this #65 :D 

Hide contents

1055619874_ScreenShot2022-03-30at7_41_30PM.thumb.png.709886a9c2046bb341ab2f039a174f97.png

I was outbid on that one as well, to replace the cover on mine.

1039634765_MoreFunComics65.thumb.jpg.2bfa0b1755772490956573f6064e4bd8.jpg

On 3/30/2022 at 9:10 PM, woowoo said:

I had a nice 65 I could not give away 40 years ago :bigsmile:

40 years ago I was in 2nd grade and hadn't started collecting comics books—although I had been reading comics occasionally for a few years.

You could have given your More Fun 65 to me; I wouldn't have said no. If you want to buy me one now to make up for the one that you didn't give me in 1982, I'll be happy to accept it.

On 3/30/2022 at 7:45 PM, jimbo_7071 said:

40 years ago I was in 2nd grade and hadn't started collecting comics books—although I had been reading comics occasionally for a few years.

You could have given your More Fun 65 to me; I wouldn't have said no. If you want to buy me one now to make up for the one that you didn't give me in 1982, I'll be happy to accept it.

It's in my old 25 cents box and I have way to many boxes to go thru :headpat:

On 3/31/2022 at 3:37 AM, lou_fine said:

Can't figure out why he would keep the Red Raven book as opposed to either the Action 1 or the 'Tec 27, but then that's Chuck for you.  :bigsmile:

Because RR 1 is hard as hell to find, period, let alone in grade, and he wouldn't have gotten that much money for it, compared to an Action 1 and Tec 27, which would help out his cash flow a lot. 

On 3/30/2022 at 7:32 AM, sagii said:

Two of my favorite books in my collection 'Star Comics 12' and Sure-Fire Comics 3(4) both peds, dont have a Church copy accounted for on the list ive seen, but I've always chalked this up to an error most likely.

Not sure about Sure-Fire Comics (3/4), but doubt it's an error when it comes to some of these early Centaurs like the early issues of Star Comics and Funny Pages.  Especially since Church had to buy most of these earlier issues from 1938 and earlier as back issues if he could find them, and even if he did, most of them were used mid-grade copies only and not in the typical pristine Mile High condition that the collection was famous for with the post 1938 issues.  :luhv:

Since there was no Larson or Lost Valley copy of Star Comics 12, I assume you must have the Billy Wright copy of Star Comics 12.:applause:  I remember the Jon Berk Auction on CC from a few years ago and I was focusing my atttnetion on some of these earlier issues that did not have a Church copy, but no known pedigree copy at all.  Although it's always a challenge and fun to acquire one of these virtually impossible to find books for your personal collection, it oftens tends not to be as financially rewarding going forward as some of the more common books.  It's hard for valuations to go up on some of these books when they only appear in the marketplace once every several years or so, since it's a whole lot easier for books to go up in value if they have more frequent sales to reinforce the prices paid which allows the marketplace to continue to drive the prices up on these books in a much more regular basis.  For the books that tend to show up only once every sevearl years or after a whole decade later, it's often a case of out of sight, out of mind.  :(  :taptaptap:  :taptaptap:

On 3/30/2022 at 1:45 PM, MrBedrock said:

I think he held some of those big key runs and sold them later. The Actions including the #1 weren't brokered and sold until at least 79 or 80, and I believe the present owner bought them in '81. The Detective 33 and 38 were sold early, but I don't think the others were.

I believe you are 100% right with your post here here, as I remember talking to Dave back in the day and he said that he had to pay something like $25K for the Action 1 when it was guiding for only around $10K at the time.  (thumbsu

I guess Dave didn't have that direct pipeline into Chuck's Mile High books because he came onto the scene a bit late.  Snyder was one of the big power brokers at the time with that pipeline and apparently managed to pick up that early Action run from Chuck who then passed it onto Dave for his personal collection.  Any truth to the story that Chuck would let a certain amount of the quality books out from the collection every year back then in the early years and if you was in the pipeline and brought the requisite dollar amount that year, you would then be welcome back the following year.  If you didn't , you either fell down to the bottom of the pecking order or was dropped off entirely.  Not sure who was on this list, but I assume it would have been Snyder, Redbeard, the Carter brothers, Veryzl, Geppi, Overstreet, and the likes.  hm  (shrug)

On 3/28/2022 at 5:18 PM, Sauce Dog said:
Spoiler

his is the big surprise, it's basically brittle and incomplete missing SIX pages! Yes it displays well, but was honestly surprised it for the same amount a CGC 2.0 went for earlier this month.

1031562059_ScreenShot2022-03-28at7_53_40PM.thumb.png.f34721a85ad09ccebc7f8ae48425050a.png

Yeah, I just find it hard to fathom some of the seemingly high prices being paid for books at both extreme ends of the condition grading spectrum.  ???

Especially in terms of the high end when grading is still just so subjective at times, and then at the entry level end when if you pay just a bit more, you can seemingly get so much more value on a per point basis, with this More Fun 69 being a perfect example:  hm  

https://www.comicconnect.com/item/900144

mor1.1180.jpg

To each their own, but it just seems like you are getting a lot more value or ban for your buck with a CGC 8.0 graded OW copy of MF 69 for under $2,500 as compared to paying $780 for a raw Poor condition Incomplete copy with 6 missing pages, and pretty much Brittle pages at that.  (shrug)

On 3/30/2022 at 5:10 AM, Sauce Dog said:

Oh you can be sure 56 is on my hunt list, it is one of two covers I'm missing from that run. I've only had one opportunity to buy it in the last five years when a torn up incomplete copy was listed on Ebay (missing many pages, detached covers and wraps, soiled, stained) and I lost the bidding on it when it obviously went higher than expected (of course today I regret not bidding much higher, by todays comic prices it feels like a steal). I've tried making offers to board members who I see own the book, but unless its super low grade then it automatically is outside my budget (The 3.0 that was sold last year was even out of my grasp when it sold for just under $7,000)

On 3/30/2022 at 8:55 AM, twmjr1 said:

Bought my 56 (CGC purple 7.0 EP) from Gator on this board around 2008(?) I think. I do remember I paid him $1500. I think it's a $10K book now, if not more, with this ongoing escalation in GA prices. 56 is almost never offered for public sale anywhere. 

Sadly for collectors who are on the hunt for a copy, More Fun 56 seems to be one of those books which tends to be locked up in long held personal collections as it's been pretty much a whole decade since a nice copy has shown up in the open public marketplace, with this one major exception here:  :luhv:

https://www.comicconnect.com/item/720102

mor1.1028a.jpg

Sold for $41,500 which I thought was a pretty for a highest graded Church copy back in 2017, and no doubt this white page beauty of a copy which would sell for a whole lot more if it ever came available in today's crypto like red hot marketplace for key and classic cover books like this More Fun 56 here.  :applause:

On 3/31/2022 at 12:51 AM, lou_fine said:

It's hard for valuations to go up on some of these books when they only appear in the marketplace once every several years or so, since it's a whole lot easier for books to go up in value if they have more frequent sales to reinforce the prices paid which allows the marketplace to continue to drive the prices up on these books in a much more regular basis.  For the books that tend to show up only once every sevearl years or after a whole decade later, it's often a case of out of sight, out of mind.  :(  :taptaptap:  :taptaptap:

So true. I dislike buying a book that GPA’s last recorded sale was 2005, or some such. Makes pure guesswork out of figuring value. The current Superman ashcan is a perfect example of having zero idea of value. To me it’s historical significance makes it more valuable than the Marvel 1 pay copy, but there it languishes. 

47B2F879-DB22-4EBD-941F-BBF943FA19EA.jpeg

8D839868-44CA-4C96-A6C8-9C68BA2DCF25.jpeg

6E6B963D-A7F6-4716-8AD3-18D4C991C00C.jpeg

Edited by GreatCaesarsGhost

On 3/31/2022 at 6:37 AM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

So true. I dislike buying a book that GPA’s last recorded sale was 2005, or some such. Makes pure guesswork out of figuring value. The current Superman ashcan is a perfect example of having zero idea of value. To me it’s historical significance makes it more valuable than the Marvel 1 pay copy, but there it languishes. 

"but there it languishes"   I think all ashcans have a limited market appeal these days, I remember when these started popping up and thinking/feeling these were game changers due to there historic importance.  But imho a lot of modern investors/buyer just do not connect with the history of this hobby the same way a lot of first and second generation collectors do/did. If I make the statement " remember spending hours going over the color covers in your Overstreet price guide and dreaming of owning some of those books?" Most collectors that can relate are 50+ years old or older by a few decades. This current generation pops onto YouTube for the "HOT 10 this week" and moves on. The history is not as important as the hype these days. Now that being said sitting at 44k with over a week left  feel like this ashcan MIGHT break a record. Most of the real players tend to come in late and I assume with so little data on these nobody wants to jump the gun. Good luck to the seller and to the new owner because....Indiana, we are simply passing through history. This, this is history. Belloq 

Edited by I am not Glenda

On 3/31/2022 at 7:20 AM, I am not Glenda said:

"but there it languishes"   I think all ashcans have a limited market appeal these days, I remember when these started popping up and thinking/feeling these were game changers due to there historic importance.  But imho a lot of modern investors/buyer just do not connect with the history of this hobby the same way a lot of first and second generation collectors do/did. If I make the statement " remember spending hours going over the color covers in your Overstreet price guide and dreaming of owning some of those books?" Most collectors that can relate are 50+ years old or older by a few decades. This current generation pops onto YouTube for the "HOT 10 this week" and moves on. The history is not as important as the hype these days. Now that being said  44k with over a week left makes feel like this ashcan could break a record as most of the real players tend to come in late and I assume with so little data on these nobody wants to jump the gun. Good luck to the seller and to the new owner because....Indiana, we are simply passing through history. This, this is history. Belloq 

Ok I woke up today feeling pretty good, but now all of a sudden I don't know why but I'm a bit depressed

Edited by GreatCaesarsGhost

On 3/31/2022 at 1:51 AM, lou_fine said:

Not sure about Sure-Fire Comics (3/4), but doubt it's an error when it comes to some of these early Centaurs like the early issues of Star Comics and Funny Pages.  Especially since Church had to buy most of these earlier issues from 1938 and earlier as back issues if he could find them, and even if he did, most of them were used mid-grade copies only and not in the typical pristine Mile High condition that the collection was famous for with the post 1938 issues.  :luhv:

Since there was no Larson or Lost Valley copy of Star Comics 12, I assume you must have the Billy Wright copy of Star Comics 12.:applause:  I remember the Jon Berk Auction on CC from a few years ago and I was focusing my atttnetion on some of these earlier issues that did not have a Church copy, but no known pedigree copy at all.  Although it's always a challenge and fun to acquire one of these virtually impossible to find books for your personal collection, it oftens tends not to be as financially rewarding going forward as some of the more common books.  It's hard for valuations to go up on some of these books when they only appear in the marketplace once every several years or so, since it's a whole lot easier for books to go up in value if they have more frequent sales to reinforce the prices paid which allows the marketplace to continue to drive the prices up on these books in a much more regular basis.  For the books that tend to show up only once every sevearl years or after a whole decade later, it's often a case of out of sight, out of mind.  :(  :taptaptap:  :taptaptap:

Great post Lou

And while this is true in a lot of cases I still love chasing/acquiring books in that caliber. 

In a case like the Star Comics it being a Centaur and a pedigree copy I think when that time comes I'll be able to recoup my money and then some. But that 's not in the plans for a while (the fates willing 🤞)

Edited by sagii

On 3/31/2022 at 3:37 AM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

I dislike buying a book that GPA’s last recorded sale was 2005, or some such. 

Even worse:  selling them.  Dealer I know who tries on a regular basis to buy from me will always cherry pick the books that haven't sold since the previous millenium and tell me "GPA is three dollars" or some such

On 3/31/2022 at 3:45 AM, lou_fine said:

Sadly for collectors who are on the hunt for a copy, More Fun 56 seems to be one of those books which tends to be locked up in long held personal collections as it's been pretty much a whole decade since a nice copy has shown up in the open public marketplace, with this one major exception here:  :luhv:

https://www.comicconnect.com/item/720102

mor1.1028a.jpg

Sold for $41,500 which I thought was a pretty for a highest graded Church copy back in 2017, and no doubt this white page beauty of a copy which would sell for a whole lot more if it ever came available in today's crypto like red hot marketplace for key and classic cover books like this More Fun 56 here.  :applause:

Well, boardie "thegoldenage" and I did our part ... we sold our shared MF56 (the CGC 9.0) like a decade (or more?) ago via HA.  And I sold my under-copy (~Fine) via eBay a few years later.  So that's 2 that were not known to the hobby that are now, relatively speaking, in play.  

Full disclosure, I don't know who owns the 9 these days ... but if it does comes up for sale, I think it's def worth a look.  It has all the freshness and tightness of a newsstand copy and feels like it was never read, but doesn't have the designer comic book label or CGC distinction of being top grade to insanely jack up its price. 

On 3/31/2022 at 2:47 PM, LearnedHand said:

Well, boardie "thegoldenage" and I did our part ... we sold our shared MF56 (the CGC 9.0) like a decade (or more?) ago via HA.  And I sold my under-copy (~Fine) via eBay a few years later.  So that's 2 that were not known to the hobby that are now, relatively speaking, in play.  

Full disclosure, I don't know who owns the 9 these days ... but if it does comes up for sale, I think it's def worth a look.  It has all the freshness and tightness of a newsstand copy and feels like it was never read, but doesn't have the designer comic book label or CGC distinction of being top grade to insanely jack up its price. 

I traded it last year in a moment of poor judgement.  It was a really beautiful copy.  

On 3/31/2022 at 6:37 AM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

In my humble opinion, there are two factors that have primarily driven many of the buying/selling dynamics, especially for the more esoteric stuff, like non-key pre-hero DCs, ashcans, dead heroes, etc.  

• The day-trading mentality rampant in the hobby today - thanks to the grading companies that, as a consequence of their appraisal service, turned an art form into a competitive commodity.  For those who remember, when raw books were sold pre-CGC, even on eBay, there was no "highest graded copy" bragging rights to drive prices.  

• Prices.  If someone can barely afford to collect in their "main focus" area, they certainly don't have thousands of extra dollars laying around for the "non-main focus" area stuff.       

Now that this is over and I didn't even come close I'm sure I'm not the first person to notice there may be a very very slight resemblance to the bad guy on this cover to a certain bad tempered but often misunderstood Silver Age character we all know?  

Opera Snapshot_2022-03-28_030230_comics.ha.com.png

Opera Snapshot_2022-03-31_211229_comics.ha.com.png

Edited by Professor K
spelling correction