• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage's Next Event Auction has started posting books !
31 31

8,077 posts in this topic

On 2/4/2023 at 9:30 PM, october said:

I brought it up to them on the boards once and they appeared confused by the request. Apparently after decades in the business they have managed to avoid all the collectors who are only interested in Golden Age. 

Cross-selling, baby!!!

On 2/2/2023 at 7:30 AM, ThothAmon said:

Finally, Heritage gives us a pic of interior page quality. 

FB1F8B14-A952-48AB-9F20-B910625FADEB.jpeg

"Let's have the new intern scan that book. It's a PR anyway, what could go wrong?"

On 2/4/2023 at 8:24 AM, comicjack said:

Not sure it will get the same results but it is a beauty 

I doubt it too but it will be interesting to see how close it comes. Single highest grade so you never know. One of 7 non-hero Promise books to reach at least 90k btw.

On 2/4/2023 at 10:10 AM, october said:

It works too. Last time I went to the shopping center to get beer I came home with a bathtub and a new cat. CC playing 3D chess over there.

Every time I go to Metro's site looking for Chamber of Chills #19 and #23, I end up buying a short box of beater copies of Unexpected. Whatever, it's all horror.  :whatev: 

On 2/3/2023 at 10:01 PM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:
On 2/3/2023 at 9:48 PM, mstrange said:

There's quite a bit of Promise book relistings in the upcoming March auction.

Wow. About 90 Promise books listed so far, mostly DC. 

Wowza indeed, as some newbie probably just wants to cut bait and run as I highly doubt they'll be making any money here.  :whatthe:  :tonofbricks:

I guess our resident statistician boardie here (i.e. @MasterChief) will be awfully busy in April updating this chart of his for the rest of us here:  :applause:

On 12/18/2022 at 7:02 PM, MasterChief said:

Update!

Current Promise Collection ROI snapshot.

Chart includes data from recently closed auctions, a "New Grade" column, and additional sales from other venues as noted by Resold @.

(Source: Heritage Auctions, Comic Connect (CC), ComicLink (CL), eBay. Data sorted oldest to newest Sale Date)

promise-roi-221218_1x1.thumb.png.903854fd571f26cb4f3b22c410b4d153.png
promise-roi-221218_2x1.thumb.gif.db90a0e0b3fb91a919f86289685b8750.gif

Somehow, I don't think this March dumping of the Promise books will require very much green ink and my guess is that the overall ROI to date of negative 28% (excluding any fees) will have a better shot of dropping even further into the red, as opposed to improving very much.  :(

On 2/4/2023 at 9:40 AM, Professor K said:
On 2/4/2023 at 5:24 AM, comicjack said:

Not sure it will get the same results but it is a beauty 

I doubt it too but it will be interesting to see how close it comes. Single highest grade so you never know. One of 7 non-hero Promise books to reach at least 90k btw.

Well, let's hope it doesn't do a Terry-Toons 38 with the first Mighty Mouse which did not have such a mighty 1-year return at -72% as it dropped from $60K all the way down to only $16,800 or even a Saddle Justice 6 which dropped by some 69% as it fell off its $21K saddle and landed on the ground at only $6,600 on their second go round.  :tonofbricks:  :tonofbricks:

Edited by lou_fine

On 2/4/2023 at 2:25 PM, lou_fine said:

Well, let's hope it doesn't do a Terry-Toons 38 with the first Mighty Mouse which did not have such a mighty 1-year return at -72% as it dropped from $60K all the way down to only $16,800 or even a Saddle Justice 6 which dropped by some 69% as it fell off its $21K saddle and landed on the ground at only $6,600 on their second go round.  :tonofbricks:  :tonofbricks:

Nice puns :bigsmile::shiftyeyes::facepalm:. Well those were apparently just way overbid the first time. I did some checking, this is the first non hero book over 90k to re-appear after their intitial sales in 2021. The others being Phantom Lady 17 9.6 456k, " " 23 9.4 108k, " " 14 9.6 90k, Startling 49 9.6 132k. Suspense 11 9.8 132k, and Eerie 1 9.2 90k. I don't think any of those would reach the mark of their original sale at this time.

Mask 1 as we all know is one of the most desired book there is, so yeah it wil be interesting to see how close it comes or maybe even surpass the other sale. I think it might.

On 2/4/2023 at 2:41 PM, szav said:

I think of all the Promise books I see that are up for resale on HA, the Mask 1 probably has the best chance of hitting its original sale price, or even beating it.  PCH has remained insanely on fire recently, and the highest graded Mask 2 went for 118k more recently than the original Mask 1 Promise sale, on CLink no less.

image.png.498f49659e3e76bfbd0af845bc99cf21.png

I'd been wondering how some of the more head scratching 100k+ plus sale Promise books would do on resale, and it looks like were going to get a chance to see with a few.  Anyone see this going for 156k again?  I don't.

image.png.401b8dd00dbdf07c8b694d0d189536e1.png

I think lots of people had Bat-Man Fever at the time, right after the 2.2 miliion Bat 1 sale. 

Edited by Professor K
Bat-Man Fever

On 2/4/2023 at 2:25 PM, lou_fine said:

Greed will bring you down one should enjoy them for what they are a part of history.:bigsmile: The problem some can not float the cash that took to buy them that is my opinion!

On 2/4/2023 at 11:41 AM, szav said:

Anyone see this going for 156k again?  I don't.

image.png.401b8dd00dbdf07c8b694d0d189536e1.png

Well personally, if I was planning to dish out that kind of money on an Over Promise copy of a DC book, I would much rather have gone for this copy of All-American 61 with the classic Solomon Grundy cover:  :luhv:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/all-american-comics-61-the-promise-collection-pedigree-dc-1944-cgc-nm-96-off-white-to-white-pages/a/7244-93002.s?ic16=ViewItem-BrowseTabs-Inventory-BuyNowFromOwner-ArchiveSearchResults-012417&lotPosition=0|0

Golden Age (1938-1955), All-American Comics #61 The Promise Collection Pedigree (DC, 1944) CGC NM+ 9.6 Off-white to white pages....

Relative to the other prices that some of the books from this collection received, I think the lucky winner is going to be looking pretty good going forward considering it went for only $138K right at the start of the auction when bidders were most likely still trying to "feel" what was going to happen with these books.  (thumbsu

As for the $156K for the Detective 114, I guess the double cover notation must have attracted a lot of attention for the double cover fanatics here.  Then again, it's a case of to each their own, but since the interior cover was the one graded at 9.8 with the exterior being only a 9.4, I would certainly not consider paying 9.8 prices for a  book that might suffer a bit of damage if you go to try to remove the outer 9.4 cover.  Especially also considering that the Church equivalent 9.8 graded copy sold for only a mere $23,900, albeit in a different time and world back in 2009.  (shrug)

Edited by lou_fine

So, is Heritage really streamlining or downsizing their major Signature Auctions from 4 day down to only 2 days because the listed dates which I am seeing is only March 30 - 31?  (shrug)

Guess we will have to wait and see if this is the right move for both their consignors and themselves to have smaller Signature Auctions and have in its place instead, bi-weekly auctions in the format of both their Showcase Auctions and their Sunday/Monday weekend auctions.  Personally, I don't pay as much attention to these smaller more frequent auctions as there's simply too many of them around, what with CL and now CC also starting them up which makes it hard to keep track of everything.  :p

Edited by lou_fine

On 2/4/2023 at 2:15 PM, Gotham Kid said:

nope, and all the other Tecs will take a bath too

Now, now, now..................are you really trying to tell us that this little beauty here won't be able to fetch a paltry $456K again, because it's going to take a lot more than your above statement to convince us of that:  :bigsmile:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/detective-comics-140-the-promise-collection-pedigree-dc-1948-cgc-nm-96-white-pages/a/7244-93065.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

Golden Age (1938-1955), Detective Comics #140 The Promise Collection Pedigree (DC, 1948) CGC NM+ 9.6 White pages....