• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage's Next Event Auction has started posting books !
31 31

8,077 posts in this topic

On 2/16/2023 at 9:47 AM, lou_fine said:

So, are you REALLY really trying to convince us here that it's going to sell for more than $456K, because if so, you are going to have to do a better job than this?  :wink:

i took it as "no way it will reach that lofty price again"...but i guess it is open to interpretation.

On 2/16/2023 at 10:47 AM, lou_fine said:

So, are you REALLY really trying to convince us here that it's going to sell for more than $456K, because if so, you are going to have to do a better job than this?  :wink:

I think he meant it will not hammer for as much or for more than it did the first time around  (shrug)

Edited by Funnybooks

On 2/16/2023 at 5:50 AM, Professor K said:

Pretty sure it was the most expensive book of them all.

Well, totally surprised that you forgot this little beauty right here:  :whatthe:  :luhv:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/phantom-lady-17-the-promise-collection-pedigree-fox-features-syndicate-1948-cgc-nm-96-pink-pages/a/7244-93123.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

Golden Age (1938-1955):Superhero, Phantom Lady #17 The Promise Collection Pedigree (Fox Features Syndicate, 1948) CGC NM+ 9.6 Pink pages....

Sold for the exact same $456K as the 'Tec 140 even though some boardies here thought that the CGC 9.4 graded Phantom Lady Collection copy of PL 17 was a superior looking copy, especially considering the spine on this Promise copy here.  (shrug)

Edited by lou_fine

On 2/16/2023 at 7:34 AM, batman_fan said:

I just wonder what the story is with all these Promise books coming back to market.  Did someone win all of them and then not pay?  Did the winner hit a bad financial situation and have to sell knowing they would take a big hit?  Did the winner see a new shiny ball to chase?

Succumbed to the allure and wanted to be an owner of a top tier copy?

On 2/16/2023 at 7:56 AM, Funnybooks said:

I think he meant it will not hammer for as much or for more than it did the first time around  (shrug)

And then there were a few noted long time boardies here who claimed this Promise Collection was an once in a lifetime opportunity and if we didn't go for it, we would end up paying a lot more money for them when they do come back to market.  (:

Of course, I believe they were thinking more in terms of a much longer time frame than just one or two short years.  (thumbsu

Edited by lou_fine

On 2/16/2023 at 11:21 AM, lou_fine said:

And then there were a few noted long time boardies here who claimed this Promise Collection was an once in a lifetime opportunity and if we didn't go for it, we would end up paying a lot more money for them when they do come back to market.  (:

Of course, I believe they were thinking in terms of a much longer time frame than just one or two short years.  (thumbsu

broken clock is right twice a day

A lifetime ain't what is used to be

On 2/16/2023 at 8:18 AM, Chief1332 said:
On 2/16/2023 at 5:34 AM, batman_fan said:

I just wonder what the story is with all these Promise books coming back to market.  Did someone win all of them and then not pay?  Did the winner hit a bad financial situation and have to sell knowing they would take a big hit?  Did the winner see a new shiny ball to chase?

Succumbed to the allure and wanted to be an owner of a top tier copy?

Or is this a portent of things to come and a consigner simply trying for a first mover advantage, as per a post from me yesterday:  hm  (shrug)

On 2/14/2023 at 12:32 PM, lou_fine said:

Is this to be viewed as a negative sign to the impending strength or health of the GA marketplace because the owners want to get ahead of the curve (i.e. be the first ones out the door before there's a log jam) in advance of what they have seen taken place in the SA, BA, and CA marketplaces over the past several months?  hm (shrug)

On 2/16/2023 at 8:43 AM, mstrange said:

It looks like Heritage pulled 60 to 70 books from the GA section of the upcoming March Sig auction.  It was 414 2 days ago now down to 340's. (shrug)

Maybe it's just temporary and a work in progress for now, but looks like the cuts all came from the Promise Collection books:  (shrug)

https://comics.ha.com/c/search-results.zx?N=52+794+793+792+4294939359&Ntk=SI_Titles-Desc&Nty=1&Ntt=promise&limitTo=4294939359&ic=homepage-search-A-K-Y-071316

Looks like it went from some 90 Promise Collection books down to only 22 for now, including the biggies 'Tec 140 & 114 and the Mask 1 for now.  (thumbsu

Edited by lou_fine

On 2/14/2023 at 1:50 PM, batman_fan said:
On 2/14/2023 at 1:42 PM, Gotham Kid said:

has Bedrock written all over it

Is that book too cool for even Bedrock hm

Yes. Unfortunately it is.

On 2/16/2023 at 11:06 AM, lou_fine said:

Well, totally surprised that you forgot this little beauty right here:  :whatthe:  :luhv:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/phantom-lady-17-the-promise-collection-pedigree-fox-features-syndicate-1948-cgc-nm-96-pink-pages/a/7244-93123.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

Golden Age (1938-1955):Superhero, Phantom Lady #17 The Promise Collection Pedigree (Fox Features Syndicate, 1948) CGC NM+ 9.6 Pink pages....

Sold for the exact same $456K as the 'Tec 140 even though some boardies here thought that the CGC 9.4 graded Phantom Lady Collection copy of PL 17 was a superior looking copy, especially considering the spine on this Promise copy here.  (shrug)

Oh right, I thought there was another. Well I still think my theory that most of the upcoming ones may be from sales that never were paid is possible. More possible than someone who spent over a million big ones on books suddenly deciding to sell them all in one auction.

On 2/16/2023 at 1:46 PM, Professor K said:

Oh right, I thought there was another. Well I still think my theory that most of the upcoming ones may be from sales that never were paid is possible. More possible than someone who spent over a million big ones on books suddenly deciding to sell them all in one auction.

I can confirm that the owner of this PL 17 is not the owner of these other Promise retreads (thumbsu

On 2/16/2023 at 5:49 AM, IngelsFan said:

It was really great seeing these early books come to auction. I was hoping to score Comics Magazine 2 but it went past my comfort point. The New 2 I was bidding on as a spare. First DC Christmas cover, one of the rarest DC books out there and the first Federal Men (S&S’s best work pre-Superman)-I’ve always had a soft spot for this book.

Clearly you must be a long time collector with impeccable taste if you know about long ago forgotten pre-hero books like Comics Magazine 2 and New Comics 2.  :applause:

Sorry to hear that you missed out on the Comics Magazine 2 since that entire run from 1936 is a real toughie to track down.  I remember picking up my mid-grade copy of Comics Magazine 2 over some 15 years ago in a trade with a fellow boardie here (i.e. @CentaurMan) who is sorely missed as he sadly no longer grace these boards to share his wisdom and passion with us anymore.  :(

It was something like mid- grade copies of both the Comics magazine 2 and Adventure 45 for my nice copy of the last issues of Comic Pages since that was one of the last Centaurs which he needed to complete his Centaur collection at the time.  Looking back at the trade now from a strict valuation POV, I probably should have taken the Slightly Restored copy of Detective 18 with the classic Fu Manchu cover instead.  Needless to say, I certainly thought long and hard about it, but that copy simply didn't present that nicely to me since it had a rather "dirty" appearance to it which would have bothered me every time I looked or thought about it.  (shrug)

Hope you was able to pick up the New Comics 2 since you seem to know all about it and have a soft spot for it, along with the fact that it sold for a much lower price point at $1,680 as compared to the Comics Magazine 2 at $2,520.  From my personal POV, probably one of the absolute rarest pre-hero DC books out there, especially when you also factored in the grade.  The CGC Population Census Report would seem to confirm this as it shows a total of only 5 Universal copies graded to date, with the highest graded one being this copy here at a grade of only CGC 2.0:  :luhv:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/platinum-age-1897-1937-/new-comics-2-billy-wright-pedigree-dc-1936-cgc-gd-20-off-white-to-white-pages/a/7054-91110.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515#

Platinum Age (1897-1937):Miscellaneous, New Comics #2 Billy Wright pedigree (DC, 1936) CGC GD 2.0 Off-white to white pages....

No Church copy or any other pedigree copy of this book here besides this Billy Wright copy, so if collectors are hoping to find a nicer higher grade copy of this book to fill the gap in their collection, it might just be an awfully long long wait for one to come around, if ever.  :wishluck:  :taptaptap:  :taptaptap:

Edited by lou_fine

On 2/15/2023 at 2:44 PM, midwestfourcolors said:
On 2/15/2023 at 2:02 PM, comicnoir said:

First appearance of the Log.

First, VERY FULL, appearance of the LOG

Not having a copy of the book myself, how sure are you that this is the FULL appearance because whispers are that this issue might just have been a gateway foldout cover since they could not fit it all in on just the one page?  :roflmao:

Seriously though, it looks like my previous post was not exactly right at all:  doh!

On 2/15/2023 at 10:01 AM, lou_fine said:

Then again, being a Schmell book, I am quite sure it started off in soft limpy condition before Dougie got his hands on it to massage and rub it into the rock hard and upright condition that its in now, all in anticipation of the big payload that it's going to shoot off for him when it reaches its climax at the end.  lol

Sad to say, but it looks like poor old Dougie just couldn't get it to go up any higher by even a single dollar and hence there was no screaming fireworks at the end. Just a soft soft quiet whimper at the end as all of the action must have already taken place prematurely.  :blush:  lol

On 2/16/2023 at 11:54 AM, batman_fan said:

Just saw my 1st Promise book upgrade !

Definitely not the first time as per my previous comments that it's kudos to Ritter as he shockingly seems to be about the only buyer that's daring or bold enough to even attempt to play the CPR game with these Promise Collection books.  :whatthe:  (thumbsu

Can't quite figure out his Worldwide website though as he's got this Promise copy of Batman 12 indicated as "Sale Pending" at $6,000:  hm

https://www.wwcomics.com/comicdetail.asp?Product_ID=Batman_12_79625

http://images.wwcomics.com/images/medium/Btmn_12_Pro.jpg

Then again, I guess nothing new here as he's also got the Crowley Copy of Power Comics 3 which he picked up from Heritage in CGC 5.5 for $7,800 now also indicated as "Sale Pending" in CGC 7.5 for $12K; Superman 2 which he picked up from HA in CBCS 2.5 for $3,840 now indicated as "Sale Pending" in CGC 3.0 for $10,500; and the Larson Copy of Science Comics 2 in which he picked up from HA in CGC Restored 8.0 for $21,600 now indicated as "Sale Pending" in CGC Universal 7.5 for $42,500.  :applause:

The part which I am a little bit mystified about and find rather interesting is the fact that all 4 of these books are now listed in the current CL Featured Auction which just started today on February 16th.  And yet Ritter was able to "sell" all four of them so quickly, especially considering that they were all graded only as of February 14th and not even in the current CGC Population Census yet.  Okay, I guess I do understand the Sale Pending part, but not sure about the price that he has them listed as being "Sold For" in his website.  (shrug)

Edited by lou_fine