• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage's Next Event Auction has started posting books !
31 31

8,077 posts in this topic

On 1/15/2023 at 2:22 AM, lou_fine said:

My bad as I was getting it confused with your former CGC 9.6 graded coy of FC 178 that you had sold back in the summer of 2021.  doh!

Any idea which one would be worth more in today's marketplace......the single highest 9.6 graded copy of FC 178 or would it be the 9.6 FC 386?  hm

I would think it's FC 178 (which has sold twice in the past 2 years at $90k), versus FC 386 (which I'm surprised to see still has only 1 9.6 copy), which I would estimate at $50k or so, but who knows anymore?

On 1/14/2023 at 8:37 PM, batman_fan said:
On 1/14/2023 at 8:30 PM, buttock said:

This one surprised me.  Any idea why it went so high?

No idea.  I thought more $5k range

Highest Graded (tied) + Catwoman.

She's not at Joker-level of fan appreciation but she has her supporters.

On 1/14/2023 at 8:48 PM, adamstrange said:

yes.  Ive just finally gone through Overstreet title by title and book by book and ALL keys and HOT books have taken huge jumps over last year.  30, 50 and 100% even on 5 figure books.

As for the Catwoman Tec 203, we have seen over the past decade, that in the Bat titles, first all Joker covers went up and up, This frenzy never affected the later issues like Tec 180 (Joker) until recently. But now, in auctions, and finally in Overstreet, ALL Batman's villain covers (Two-Face, Catwoman, Penguin) and appearances have moved significantly upwards.  There arent that many Catwoman covers, and this is the scarcer period of Detectives.  So its a wildly high price I wouldn't pay, for what 203 is, but not surprising.   It IS the highest graded (tied with 2 others)   but curiously, I noticed that there were 4 8.5s last month....  I dont see a 9.0, so a failed upgrade?

Just for the record, Im not saying the sale was affected by Overstreet price jump.  He has just caught up as he always does.  But I wonder if he picked a bad year if he was moved to these huge % jumps based on 2021022 pandemic sales results that may go backwards.  Of course thats a joke right? As if.

On 1/14/2023 at 9:30 PM, comicnoir said:

She's using a whip.

Never hurts.  I mean it does, not that I know one way or another, but not with respect to the price of a Catwoman comic.

Edited by adamstrange

On 1/15/2023 at 10:28 AM, Aman619 said:
On 1/15/2023 at 9:48 AM, adamstrange said:

yes.  Ive just finally gone through Overstreet title by title and book by book and ALL keys and HOT books have taken huge jumps over last year.  30, 50 and 100% even on 5 figure books.

Huh, so there IS somebody besides Lou_Fine who still pays attention to Overstreet! :baiting:

A few thoughts on some books I followed during the auction.  World’s Finest 67 CGC 8.5 went for over $3k. Seems a solid price for a 1950s WF. It is the highest graded copy so I suppose even a 7.0 is worth far less. Curious if better copies remain ungraded. My copy isn’t it. 

Couldn’t bring myself to bid on the kinda Fugly Tec 2 CGC 1.8 $8300 although finding another for under $10k might be impossible.

Not GA but I Really loved the Pussycat and was hoping to get a deal. At $5k hammer not so much.   

Got one early silver to add to my collection Tec 244. 

B1CD0497-A848-41EB-91A5-8B92366F0C63.jpeg

00EE583A-295F-453D-93C5-A8EEEBE65BB7.jpeg

2B4C466C-037A-4A61-A8DF-16982B48B5AC.jpeg

On 1/15/2023 at 12:41 AM, tth2 said:

Huh, so there IS somebody besides Lou_Fine who still pays attention to Overstreet! :baiting:

I know right!?   The guide at this point is merely interesting (as a spectator sport if you will) for any comic book of great value and interest to see where Bob stands versus ACTUAL values.  Or if he took a big leap upward finally like this year. Clearly not an accurate pricing tool for those books whose current sales data can be obtained by tracking auctions and using GPA.  Of course I get that.  But of the millions of books listed, a great majority of his prices are accurate enough to track the values of what you have for all the 100s of thousands of other less important and expensive stuff -- unslabbed.  You'd be surprised how closely it matches market prices after Guide price is recalculated using my various multipliers and other factors built into my database.  so there!

and gimme a break.  Ive had it for 7 months and am finally getting past the top 100 lists!

On 1/14/2023 at 4:27 PM, batman_fan said:

I really wanted this one but got killed during the live bidding.  Went way higher than I expected.

Screen Shot 2023-01-14 at 5.26.09 PM.png

On 1/14/2023 at 5:30 PM, buttock said:

This one surprised me.  Any idea why it went so high?

In general, because virtually all DC's from the early 50's time period are deemed to be tough to find in grade, although this one here is certainly stretching it a bit all the way to January of '54.  (shrug)

More likely due to the fact that this is one of three highest graded copies to date and we all know what gets the CGC label chasers all in a frenzy to open up their pockets nice and wide.  :banana:  :whee:

Edited by lou_fine

On 1/14/2023 at 5:43 PM, tth2 said:

I thought the pulps did extremely well.  I assume this is in anticipation of slabbing.

On 1/14/2023 at 5:43 PM, buttock said:

The anticipation of slabbing has driven the prices of pulps up more than actual slabbing will.  

Isn't it always about the anticipation and so much more than the actual real thing?  hm

Just take a look at movie or TV related hyped comic books when all of the action takes place with the pre-hyped announcements and by the time they actually do hit the screens, they are usually already past their peak and on their way back down.  (shrug)

From an equity investment point of view, take a look at all of the weed stocks north of the border that absolutely shot to the moon in anticipation of legalization.  Once legalization came into place though and those dreams were all washed away with real world indicators, they all dropped by some 95% if they even managed to survive the resulting carnage.  :tonofbricks:

On 1/15/2023 at 2:14 PM, lou_fine said:

Isn't it always about the anticipation and so much more than the actual real thing?  hm

Just take a look at movie or TV related hyped comic books when all of the action takes place with the pre-hyped announcements and by the time they actually do hit the screens, they are usually already past their peak and on their way back down.  (shrug)

From an equity investment point of view, take a look at all of the weed stocks north of the border that absolutely shot to the moon in anticipation of legalization.  Once legalization came into place though and those dreams were all washed away with real world indicators, they all dropped by some 95% if they even managed to survive the resulting carnage.  :tonofbricks:

So weird how that works, as soon as the movie or show is released people stop wanting it. Human nature I suppose. Happens every time with every one. Especially a few years back. At this point a lot of these franchises have so many movies and shows coming out that it doesn't really effect much like it did a few years back.